Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Roadster Tire Size suggestions needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hollis Cranmer, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Hollis Cranmer

Hollis Cranmer

Deuce 2.2.jpg Hi, I'm looking for a rear tire for a '32 hi boy roadster. Something in the 285/75/R16 size range. ( 29" to 30" tall ) So far I'm not having much luck. Any suggestions that you guys care to give would be much appreciated. Thanks

2. Are you planning on using black wall or white wall tires?

Radials or bias ply? HRP

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Your two calm down and play nice! I'm doin' lots of louvers for him right now, so this can't come out too bad!!!

How wide are your rear wheels Hollis? And, what type are they? I have some ideas...

4. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Go to car shows & cruz-ins and see what you like. Take a pen & pad to write down what you like. That's what I did....................................

5. Hollis Cranmer

Hollis Cranmer

Blackwall radials. 8 1/2 " Real Wheels. I was hoping for some "instant gratification" from some of you knowledgeable old timers. I've somehow waited till the last minute to do my research of the proper tire brand. So far I'm just finding light truck tires. Looking for about a 30" tall tire with a tread pattern that doesn't look like a snow tire !

6. Hollis Cranmer

Hollis Cranmer

7. In that size range light truck or SUV tires are pretty much what you will find. Take a look at T/A trail tour SUV tires - suggest the Tire Rack as they have all the specs for the tires they sell.

8. Hollis Cranmer

Hollis Cranmer

Thanks Charlie. That's looking more like what I am wanting. Still looking tho.[​IMG]

9. Hollis Cranmer

Hollis Cranmer

I may have to go with these. What do you think?[​IMG]

10. soda4u2

soda4u2

Look at Hurst cheater slick on line. They have some cool stuff. Might be something you like. I've bought a couple of sets from them. They are great to deal with. They have some tires in the height you are looking for.

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Unfortunately, Hurst is down for the count right now. Towel City makes a very nice similar Cheater slick in a 29.5X 8, 9, 0r 10 that would look awesome if you are looking for an early sixties type vibe. They're right up the way from you Hollis in one of the Carolinas, too. Give me a yell and I'll hook you up with the right people and sizes and stuff.

As far as the Firestone dirts, they look bitchin', and I just spent six months driving on them daily on my bucket. They are bias ply, however, although that never really seemed to be an issue like it is with the smaller sizes out there. I used the 5.00 dirt ribs up front and liked them a bunch too. They didn't follow all the hiway grooves like I thought they would. The last though, Coker makes a brand called Excelsior radial in numeric sizes. A 5.00 and a 7.50 would probably be a pretty damn good thing. SAM_6166.JPG attachment.jpg

12. greg37

greg37
    from mi.

Try a 285/ 70 R/ 15 30in. tall BF Goodrich, Coker bought the molds, I know Speedway sells them free shipping, Blackwall or Whitewall $225 ea. Hope this helps.

13. Hollis Cranmer

Hollis Cranmer

Thank you all. Still lookin'.

14. Squablow

Squablow

Another thing you might consider, if you find a tire with an attractive tread pattern, you can sand the lettering off of the sidewalls with a DA, comes out really smooth with a bit of practice. I've done this on a lot of tires and it looks so much better than having all the modern looking font lettering and metric tire sizes calling out to you. Much cleaner with the sidewalls smoothed off.

15. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

Check through the Diamond Back catalog. http://www.dbtires.com/ For example on page 14 they show a 265/70R16 (30.2" dia) and 265/7516 (31.3" dia)

I just got two of the 265/70R16's with "blackwall smoothies" but haven't mounted them yet.

16. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

17. 235 85.16 Firestone on a 7" steelie on this 1
    It' 32" tall 2014 Black roadster 4 sale 008.jpg

18. BFG T/A 275/65 R16 on 16 x 8.5 Americans. 29" tall, 9" of tread on the ground. Standard T/A tread pattern.

[​IMG]