Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Doing Falcons Right

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconizer_62, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Aware of this mike... it only helps handling. I just need the number of coils to cut in the front spring to bring it down 3 inches.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't skip the Shelby drop. The handling change is huge.

3. I continue to fuss with my old car's 347 mostly because I can't leave well enough alone.

[​IMG]
    Before: Mid eighties Crown Vic/Mk IV 5.0 standard rotation serpentine water pump/pulleys with Breeze Automotive/Factory Five Racing driver's side 3G 95A alternator mount
    [​IMG]
    After: Mezeire (rhymes with brassiere) 55GPM electric water pump with Speed Doctor Passenger side lower 3G alternator mount (note itty-bitty 1.9" alternator overdrive pulley), eighties vintage F-150 crank pulley and Speed Doctor driver's side cylinder head MSD HVC II Coil mount.
    [​IMG]
    Alternator mount
    [​IMG]
    Coil mount
    [​IMG]
    Ron Francis CD-36 Adjustable Cooling System Shut down relay system that's supposed to be used to control cooling fans.
    https://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CD-36
    https://www.ronfrancis.com/images/CD36-INST.pdf
    I changed the included 4 to 8 minute timer to a two minute timer and added the fuse holder for the power feed to the water pump.
    This relay pack controls the water pump- whenever the ignition is shut of, the water pump runs for an additional two minutes, circulating the coolant from the engine through the radiator and cools it by about 10-20F, no shit.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  4. finn

finn

To reiterate /clarify, the message here is that the Granada/Maverick disc brake spindles work ok with the 65 V8 suspension components but create excessive bumpsteer with the earlier (63-64) suspension components.

The 65 Falcon suspension components are the same as the common and inexpensive 65-66 V8 Mustang parts except the Falcon uses a unique, but available centerlink

5. Yup, 'zacktly right.
    With the caveat that you use the Granada outer tie rod ends that you already have, right?

6. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Looks nasty Brett. I want those wheels for my wagon!

7. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

And remember to distinguish between V8 and 6 cyl parts, power versus manual steering parts, and 1 inch sector shafts versus 1 1/8 inch sector shafts. Even though you are using manual steering, you have to buy a POWER steering pitman arm from a '67 Mustang.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  8. 61falcon

61falcon

ok, lets if I got this straight. improved geometry spindles and outer tie rod kit from disc swap.com. I found 65 falcon center link, idler arm and inner tie rods from falcon parts.com and 67 mustang 1 1/8 pitman arm from a mustang parts supplier. I already have Granada disc brakes and v8 control arms on the car so all that will be ok.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  9. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

If you already have Granada outer tie rod ends there's no need to buy new ones from CSRP, and you may not even have to buy new spindles either.

10. 61falcon

61falcon

they claim their spindles have "corrected steering geometry". I am going to call them Monday morning. I put this car together about 20 years ago and want to replace the steering components for maintenance. I figure now is a good time to correct and upgrade everything.

11. 61falcon

61falcon

I ordered new center link, inner tie rods, idler and pitman arm for 65 Falcon and will use my stock Granada spindles and outer tie rods and see what kind reduction in bump steer I get. I have been in contact with Dennis at CSRP and will get a set of his spindles if I still have bump steer issues. I will update after the parts are installed.

12. I'm going to be doing some lowering and suspension upgrades to help with driving my otherwise stock 62 4 door. I'm going to drop it 3 inches with the help of front coils from Dearborn and blocks. I am doing the "Shelby Drop" and doing the bearing upgrade on the spring/shock mount up front. New steering and suspension replacement parts. Frame reinforcement and connectors. Export Brace and Monte Carlo Bar. Anything else suggested?

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lower control arm adjusters.

14. Where can I get them or info to make them?

15. cage66

cage66
    from reno

I would also like to know.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  17. Veach

Veach

I'm just about finished with my 60 Falcon 2sd Wagon. She was a hard build but I got to spend time in the shop with my Boys and Grandkids.
    Our 60 Falcon Wagon only the Body is stock She has a 347 around 500 Hp Comp Thumpr Cam 521/507 Lift Roller Engine a TKO 5sd Trans and a Currie 31 spline 389 geared Truetrack 9" rear end. A Strange seamless 3" Chrome-Moly Driveshaft with Solid 1350 U- Joints. A Rod&Custom MII rack and pinion that I had to do some work to so it would fit. Custom motor mounts so I could move the engine back a couple inches. 4 wheel power disc brakes and Strange Adjustable coil overs on all corners. A custom 4 link setup and custom sub frame connectors. Custom transmission crossmember and mount. Doug's Try-Y Headers 2 1/2" Flowmasters Delta Flow 40 Dual Stainless Steel exhaust system system with an X pipe. I used a lot of parts from a 95 Mustang. A trick price I used was the brake and clutch assembly out of the 95 Mustang after some modifying of the brake peddle to clear the steering column it bolt right in giving me a clutch assembly that I can get parts for anywhere. I have learned a lot Building this Falcon if anybody is Building anything close to it I sure wish you would tell me what you have done. I would love to here your stories so I can learn even more and any info I can help you with I'm more than willing to share with you ask away. Thanks Veach

18. 61falcon

61falcon

update, I got the wrong pitman arm. it was my mistake. the center link, idler arm and inner tie rods look correct although the inner tie rods are much longer than I expected and look like they might be too long. I will get some pictures posted when i get home from work later.

19. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Longer inner rods are the main feature of the '65 parts. I think they're 3" longer.

20. birdman62

birdman62
    from mass

I'm not sure what right is but I've done something i find right ha. Full Mustang 2 front end with KYB shocks around, full 5 lug conversion, ss brake lines, discs, 67 shelby master cyl, 67 8" rear, built 5.0 HO, t5 world class tranny and soo on.. never would know

Attached Files:

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Coming along. Back up to just 3" down. Wheels/tires would not clear.
    [​IMG]
    Front wheel arches, installed on the rear openings, are up next. Bat-rolling the lips was not enough.

22. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Sounds familiar. Working on mine this weekend.

Attached Files:

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks good. I scored one fender already, and found another. Now, if I can just get the guy selling it to respond, in any way. Ahh, Craigslist.

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Gimpy, what side do you need?

25. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Just make sure you get a fender without a proportioning flange. You don't need it. :rolleyes:

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I scored it about two hours after the last post. Now I have both.

The first one I scored is nicer than the one on the car already, so the original will likely become the donor.

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Cool, I have couple of beater fenders with good lips I could have cut and sent your way.

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We shall see, after media blast....

29. Falcon61wagon

Falcon61wagon
    from Indiana

Im looking for rockers for my 61 and want to know if there are any available with the extension on the front, that wraps under the fender. I've called dearborn and they say its " exactly like the original but I'm not sure if the girl on the phone understands what I'm talking about. It should look like this. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1406833740.818044.jpg

Posted using my Big THUMB on a small screen!

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Who here has a pair of post-early-'61 6-cylinder spindles (later, full-size ball joint) that they want to part with?