Register now to get rid of these ads!

History New Builders....Please revive Canted Quad Headlights.....

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Centurion9, Jul 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

The front bumper treatment on that custom that Centurion9 posted is awesome.

2. belair

belair

Not of most of most of 'em.

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Its ironic, there is the virtual hot rod twin to this thread going on right now, on bobbing frame horns, and the reaction is actually more uniformly negative than this one. The fact is, late fiftes style cars are hated by the current crop of "traditional" hot rodders, whether they are rods or customs. Just start a thread on the HAMB saying you are going to do any one of the following; 1)channel your hot rod 2) run cycle fenders 3)weld and fill the doors/decklid 4) run full wheelcovers 5)mount your steering box on a plate on top of the frame rail 6)bob the framehorns 7) bob the stock rear fenders and mold them to the body and just sit back and watch the fireworks!
    See post #127 on this thread.:D

4. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I love them. And I love that so many people don't get it at all. I wanted to run canted quads somehow on my coupe and I still may.

5. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

You picked two of my favorite cars ever!

6. Oh c'mon, seriously?

7. Bring back the little doggie in the back window with the head that bob's up & down,,oh yeah and curb feelers! :D HRP

8. Laugh if you like the missus likes Mexican cars and not only wants the little doggie in the back window but the dingly balls around the glass as well. :D

I have seen her take a big pair of side cutters and snip curb feelers though. they are ankle getters.

9. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

This truck needs OWNING. Specifically..ME! I NEED IT!! I LOVE IT!

Someday...

10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I love them…..

1207sr10.jpg 1303clt-01-o+1956-ford-f-100+passenger-side-view.jpg anthon17.jpg xvargo10.jpg Screen Shot 2014-07-16 at 1.04.04 PM.png Screen Shot 2014-07-16 at 1.04.14 PM.png Screen Shot 2014-07-16 at 1.04.27 PM.png Lloyd-myers-1949-mercury-custom6.jpg CCC-leroy-goulart-50-Ford-16-W.jpg CCC-leroy-goulart-50-Ford-feature02.jpg images.jpeg

Stogy and BORRACHO13 like this.
  11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

forgot to quote the rest of the post? Lemme do it for you.

"Just start a thread on the HAMB saying you are going to do any one of the following; 1)channel your hot rod 2) run cycle fenders 3)weld and fill the doors/decklid 4) run full wheelcovers 5)mount your steering box on a plate on top of the frame rail 6)bob the framehorns 7) bob the stock rear fenders and mold them to the body and just sit back and watch the fireworks!"
    sums it up nicely. I'm not about to clutter up a post on customs with my usual 500 some odd period pics demonstrating the popularity of all the above hated features on literally dozens of period cars. Maybe I'll start another thread and cross reference to it.
    Bottom line, for once, hell yes I'm serious, right down to my hairy scottish bag. I hate to break it you, red smoothies and WWW radials on a highboy do not a fifties style rod make...

don colaps and BORRACHO13 like this.
  12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Jeff, nice work, I was gonna post the Mountain Pearl, but got sidetracked.

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Funny how many guys on here are dead set against anyone spreading the REAL gospel. Only the post Y2K re-write is socially acceptable, and the vast majority of the membership starts squirming if you even TALK about the other stuff.

Bottom line is this. If you dont want to build a car with canted quads, bobbed frame horns, lancer hubcaps, cycle fenders, channelled, ect, ect ect DONT. No one is gonna force you to, no-one is gonna hold a gun to your head.
    But when some guy DOES want to do this, refrain from saying "Its tasteless and ugly, if you do that, you are an idiot." If YOU DO feel compelled to post, just tell the truth, and frame as YOUR OPINION, because THATS WHAT IT IS. Say something like " In my opinion, the rods and customs of the late fifties/early sixties were garish and ugly, and I dont like 'em." Fine, thats your opinion, and you are entitled to it, no one can argue with that. But its a pretty fine line between that and "dont do it." And for CRISSAKES dont try to dress it up, or lend more credence to what is an opinion by saying "oh thats not traditional", "I like it old style", or the funniest one I've seen this week, pretending its a safety issue!
    Are we here to "carry the message" or not? I already know the answer to that, and I know I'm pissing in the wind trying to change it.

RESPECT OUR HISTORY!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
    don colaps likes this.
  14. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's still out there!
    56 Little Nugget now.jpg

don colaps and falcongeorge like this.
  15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

WOW!! Flippin awesome! Is the Mountain Pearl still around?

And THIS is just my OPINION, I would rather see 1 '53/'56 f100 with canted quads, pinched fenders, skylarks/lancers than another 1000 with red wheels, caps trim rings and wide whites, just like the other 1000 or so I have seen in the last year.

don colaps likes this.
  16. 'Mo

'Mo

falcongeorge likes this.
  17. Oh common George everyone knows that tradition is a warm fuzzy. If I don't get that mushy gushy feeling when I see it, then it couldn't possibly be traditional.

Now on another note Jeff I know that this is not an art thread but by chance do you have something in your vast collection that has canted lights that you would be willing to post? Not that it has any bearing on the thread I just like your stuff. :D

18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

19. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Speaking for myself only, I'm not insulting anyone for liking canted quads, or stating that they aren't "traditional", or appropriate to the time period. I haven't seen anyone doing that. Maybe I missed those posts. But regardless, in my opinion, canted quads make a car's face look "goofy" for lack of a better term. I don't understand the allure/styling intent/whatever you wanna call it other than to maybe change the car's face for the sake of changing it. Maybe I'm too young to get it. But regardless, no one should be getting their panties twisted over someone else's opinion. That's all it really is about.

20. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Hey, falcongeorge...you forgot Dummy spotlights, and dummy lakes pipes....they were NEVER really used in the 50's! That even gets the "mildly interested in customs" guys worked up! Hahaha!

21. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Threads like this make me wish I never got interested in customs, or cars in general, or people

hrm2k likes this.
  22. What's with the attitude?,it's a discussion,no one is being a arse,sure there is some good humored jabs but it's all been civil...

Sewing circles and quilting bees may have more social redeeming values and offer appealing quality's. :D HRP

BORRACHO13 likes this.
  23. ev88f

ev88f

Gotta say, there are some absolutely gorgeous cars being posted in this thread.

24. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Because this thread is much the same as many of the other threads about customs in which custom enthusiats can't talk about customs without a bunch of people who don't like customs, or don't know anything about the history of customs, or don't have an ounce of design skills themselves, still feel compelled to let us all know they don't like this or that.

I don't like gassers, but you won't find a single thread about gassers in which I felt compelled to show up and post about my opinion of the way they look. Know why? Because I don't post on a gasser thread if I don't dig gassers.

55 Ford Gasser and hrm2k like this.
  25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I love customs. Almost as much as hot rods, but there are some things I do not like on some customs. What the hell is so hard to get? Everyone who has said they don't like canted headlights has NOT..... repeat, NOT said they don't like customs. If I didn't like customs, I REALLY wouldn't spend my time posting in a customs thread. I'm sure the other "canted haters" feel the same.

What the hell is up with all the damn WHINING? Now, I'm REALLY going to start a damn spread sheet. It's going to show the ratio of people with thin skins and a low reading comprehension, to people who can read what someone else writes and not only understand it, but regard it as a differing OPINION.

And while I'm being MISREAD, knobs of ANY sort, stuck in a damn grill, is the most ridiculous thing EVER bolted onto a car. But I LOVE a custom that doesn't use them. Whine on that, while I update Microsoft Office.

Saxman likes this.
  26. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

27. Fred,you got that right,I love customs and hot rods,but both segments of the obsession with cars have been known to make some modifications that just don't have mass appeal.

Cletus..Just because my,and several other members opinion differ from yours doesn't prove we don't know anything about customs or the history of customs,but I fail to understand why you think a conversation about a modification gets you so worked up..it's not personal man.

Ever see the hot rod on the Beach Boys album cover with canted headlights?.I love hot rods and that car has a ton of history..know what?..I don't like it ether. HRP

28. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Obviously, you weren't around in SoCal in the fifties.

If you don't go first class, your heirs will!

29. Exactly! Thank you Fred!

30. I like how Bob Politz shoebox looks and the Mountain Pearl, they look good with those lights but that doesn't mean I wanna see every shoebox and ford truck like that. Even if I owned 10 of 'em I would only do 1 with 'em :D

Everybody has there own tastes, thats what makes customs so great, but everyone also has their own opinions about those customs too. The problem ensues when some people feel the need to make their opinions heard, while others sit back and enjoy seeing different takes on the 'same' vehicles.
    I like to hear peoples views and reasons why they like or dislike something. I get to see other vantage points other than my own.
    I love to see a well done custom that changes my opinions about certain modifications. There are plenty of mods that I see that I am tired of seeing completely or tired of seeing done shitty and half assed and cars can't pull off the look. These lights are not the greatest addition to most customs, but you gotta admit there are some great examples of well done customs on this thread amongst most that i didn't completely like.
    To be honest I like seeing cars around town look like ass, it will make mine that much better:cool:

falcongeorge and Centurion9 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.