Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects finally got my long desired 34 3 window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodderhaag, Jul 19, 2013.

1. condolences and good luck

2. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Cars are secondary entertainment -- family and friends always come first.

3. Ben sending my condolences along also. Hadn't seen any posts for a while & wondered what was happening. Send good thoughts & wishes on your move to a warmer climate. Keep us all informed.
    Burn Out Bob]

4. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Yep, condolences and hang in there dude.

5. jammer

jammer

Ben ,Sorry to hear about the loss of your best friend . Take your time & spend time with your family , your brother & other friends .Work on the coupe when your in the mood for it . We're here for ya . Bob

6. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

Ben,
    Your build threads are the primary reason for my being here.
    The recent news brings with it a profound sadness. I hope the healing has taken hold of your soul and will bring you back to those you love and those who love you.
    Bob

7. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

guys,
    thanks for all the kind words... Its been a long couple of months. The 34 is just sitting. I have been gathering some small parts for it here and there.. Winter is coming and i will really knock it out for next summer... i started gathering parts for a t5 swap.. using aj jeep 4x4 trans and the adapter to a torque tube.. that will help hide it.. i really want to be able to hot rod this car across country. the 3 speed will be ok for local stuff but i just do not feel comfortable winding the crap out of a trans that was designed for 85 horse. so we will see how that all works out. its nice right now cause the 327 was a bolt in application. but im not happy with it.. so i may have a nice cragar adapter, clutch and flywheel with a brand new starter that will come up for sale if anyone is interested. i have been collecting some old SW gauges.. nothing fancy and very far from a nice matched set.
    thanks guys and i do have a few photos ill post soon!

8. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

Hot dig-itty-dog.....welcome back!!!!

9. Take your time and find what is therapeutic for you. We're just thinking good thoughts for you, man.

10. LuckyFordGuy

LuckyFordGuy

Sorry for your loss it just takes time Rog

11. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

My deepest sympathy for your loss.. the car stuff can wait until you are ready. Allow yourself time to heal.

12. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

so i will write this a second time because the HAMB app sucks and tells me i don't have permission to write on my own build thread....

So, the last 3 weeks i have been working on the car finally... I have been doing a lot of small body work. i keep referencing back to hot turkeys 32 3 window that he built.. i have spent a lot of time making the wood structure look presentable and make sure the quality of glass work around the wood looks nice. Even though some say it will all be covered up, i want it right. I finished both door jams completely, the A pillars are all smoothed out, everything is coming together nicely. I removed the doors so i could put backing plates on top of the oak, where the hinges bolt on. I wanted something firm for them to attach to other than the oak.. After all the door jams were smoothed out and looking as they should, i rehung the doors and began to refit them into the car. Now that they close correctly and smoothly, i trimmed down some more around the edges for a close to perfect fit!..

I was moving right along until i threw a wrench into the plan........ i've often been up in the air with a quick change rear end or a set of 354 gears, maybe zypher gears in the trans... So instead i bought a T5 and decided this was where i wanted to begin...several months ago i picked up a aluminum SBC truck bell housing from an older fella where i was scrounging through his garage of 32 fords.. last week my brother and i went to NJ to pick up a sedan my dad had bought. While i was out there, i stopped at Joe Teagers place and grabbed a greasy old T5 trans out of his 92 GMC Sanoma with a 2.8.. After getting it home, i realized it wasn't as easy as a world class from a V8 camaro. It required an adapter plate and some fancy interchanging of parts. I got an adapter plate from dave at vintage metal works. This adapter centered the small T5 bearing retainer in the large 5.125 hole in the truck housing, it also slid the trans 5/8" back from the bell. Then i ordered a clutch disc from napa for an 86 astro van with a 4.3 vortec. This disc was 10'' OD and used the same spline as the Sanoma trans. PERFECT! this will allow me to use a 168 tooth flywheel, and a 10 inch pressure plate from a 70's chevy car.
    A fellow hamber needed the clutch, flywheel, and starter from when i have the 327 adapted to the early trans. So i went head and yanked the engine to get his parts boxed up and shipped out. After a few hours with a coffee can of gas and a paint brush. the T5 looked new.. This was something i can remember my grandfather doing when we were kids.. I bolted the T5 to the 327 and it looks great... I still need to remove the early trans, modify the frame crossmember, and make a set of ladder bars.. I have found some photos of how the rolling bones make them using the factory wish bones. so thats my plan as of right now...
    Slowly plugging away at this car. It will be on the road for summer 2015! hopefully,

pictures to come!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
    loudbang and Robert Crosse like this.
  13. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Here is a few pics .. some are out of order. But you get the idea :)

Attached Files:

Hotrodmyk and Robert Crosse like this.
  14. That IS cool man. I always like your posts. One car fantastic, while the other will soon be. I'm sorry you've had some loss of late....that's never fun in life. Wish we could keep everyone with us. Having said that, it's good to see ya' again, and I look forward to more of your fun. This one will be a great one. Thanks a bunch.

15. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

Glad your back....really enjoy this build!!!!
    Looks sooper nice.:)

Bob

16. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

What is up with the bellhousing adapter?

Ago

17. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Glad to see your are back posting. Car continues to look awesome.

18. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

the sbc to early trans? its for sale. im not going to need it.
    its an old cragar. shoot me an offer and its yours

19. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

This is something I have been working on too.... decided to build my own ..
    Not completed yet. Waiting on lower dies and and finish weld.

Attached Files:

20. B A D ASSSS. That's cool man. Details ? I have seen some....buy the bits to make one, but I guess I never thought as to the WHY ? To be honest, it isn't like they are common to just go out and buy.....although I know you can. I'll just stick to the beginning of my post......bad ass....that's cool man !!!

21. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

The ones you see that are built with this quality and being this heavy duty, are over $2000... I made this entire thing with the lower dies and the upper wheel for about $300... The steel i had saved from a job at work, these were left over pieces i plasma cut. The adjuster is made from a giant old fine thread c clamp we had laying around, with some 2 inch reese receiver tube. it works great. I made it do do my dads 29 dodge 3 window coupe. so i didnt want to spend alot of cash on one. plus a the cheap-o ones are just terrible quality..

and besides.. its too cool to say i built it! wait till my buddy comes and pinstripes it all up!

Hotrodmyk and kidcampbell71 like this.
  22. Dude, AWESOME to have you back working and posting!

23. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Thanks guys! I got the t5 fitted down in the car. I had to notch the crossmeber and I haven't cleaned that all up yet or made the trans mount. I'll post some pictures of that tomorrow and also if the new ladder bars being made for it ... making headway

24. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Lookin real sharp man!

25. Vernon2

Vernon2

Very nice I have read all the other post and like others Feel this one will be a well built too.An old timer once told me fiberglass doesn't stick to metal very well to use wood.

Vernon2

26. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

12/16
    i have been steadily working on the coupe. Its back to a frame again. We got the 327 and the T5 set down in the chassis after notching the crossmember out some. This is tricky to do without destroying a super nice original 34 frame. I want this car to be able to switch back to all original anytime. So everything i have done is a bolt on application. This goes for the brake and clutch system also. At first i was going to use mechanical clutch linkage and try to fit some 39 pedals in there. however it was just to much cutting of the original x member.. I decided to shop around for a hydraulic clutch setup. With very little room, the external slave cylinder was not happening. I found a Howes racing internal hydraulic throw out bearing setup. It even came with the correct shims to space the bearing out to match the trans adapter i bought. One thing they do not tell you is the bearing doesn't come with remote lines. they need purchased separately so you can bleed the unit. I'm using a 3/4 inch bore wilwood master cylinder. Now in order to use the stock pedals and not hack them all apart, i has to make some bracketry. The factory pedals pull instead of push, and with no room in front of the pedals, everything had to go behind. On top of that, i did not want to move the rear wish bone mounts out to the frame rails. I found a nice bracket on hot rod works, and i used that for an idea. its a bracket with a heim joint that both the bones bolt to and it bolts to the x member.... As of right now i fabbed up a plate that lays in the x member, it acts as a stiffener, a trans mount, a wishbone mount, a drive shaft loop and it hold all the bellcranks and the master cylinder for the brake system..I also used the mounting holes for the factory battery tray to mount the clutch system. I made a tray that fit down in the frame using 4 existing holes, this uses a z bar to actuate the wilwood cylinder. I have it all fit up other than the actual connecting rods. Those will be in today and should all work perfectly. While i was working on this, i also rebushed the pedals. The main pin for them is slightly wore, so im on the hunt for a NOS replacement.
    At first i was going to swap out the rear for a 35 and newer banjo with some 354 or 325 gears. Ive decided its not worth the hassle. I have asked some fellas on here what their opinions were on my setup as far as interstate cruising. As most of you know all i plan on doing with this 34 is driving it to bonneville. 2000 miles one way from my door step. With a fresh 327, mild cam, valve train all worked over, .79 overdrive T5, 31.5 tall tires and 411 gears, 70mph will be around 2450 rpms... To me, that seems high. Ive run flatheads and diesel trucks. So im used to 2000 rpm and below to be safe. Everyone is telling me this is going to be fine to run. so im taking their advice and leaving it alone. I was going to build my own open drive kit, as i did for a 6 spline rear, but the 10 spline coupler is much larger in diameter and its very difficult to find a yoke that has enough material for me to bore out and press in the coupler... i just do not feel comfortable doing this with a car that i plan on driving 30k + miles a year.. So back to hot rod works to order their 10 spline kit for 32-34 rears with the smaller bearing retainer. I stay as far away as possible from the speedway kits.. The few dollars less is not worth the sloppy oil leaking yoke.
    I redesigned the front engine mount so a fuel pump will bolt to the block with ease. i really do not want to run an electric pump, only as a back up... Yesterday my new clutch and flywheel came. Im running a 153 tooth corvette flywheel using a 10.5 inch pressure plate and a 86 chevy astro van 4.3 5 speed clutch disc that is 9 5/8 diameter. This is the combo needed to adapt a t5 to a sbc. and its cheap! clutch disc from napa is $30. Brand new flywheel and pressure plate from rock auto was $100.. you cannot go wrong here.. Im not running 500 horse so these stock parts on a light car will be just fine.. Also some parts from early ford store came in. I ordered all new brakes. shoes and hydraulics with all new hoses. Next on the list is some NOS wheel bearings and wheel seals.
    Now that im running open drive, i will have to modify the rear wishbones to handle the torque load. So i plan on doing what ken and keith do at the rolling bones hot rod shop. Im going to add to bars up to the mounting point from the rear end, and tying them together with some flat plate gussets with a few holes plasma cut in them. Its easy to build and extremely effective for strength..
    Im hoping by next week this entire running gear will be all finished up and the body will be ready to bolt back down on. Then we will be making progress!! im starting to see a little light at the end of the tunnel with this project .Its been alot of work.. Its easy to slap a car together. its hard to build one from scratch and make it function but also be easily repairable along a roadside somewhere.. This will be one sweet little 34 ford for being halfglass!

Pictures to come:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
    Robert Crosse likes this.
  27. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Pics

Attached Files:

daddio211 and Robert Crosse like this.
  28. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

Now that's some nice work!!!:cool:

Bob

29. That plate is cool, multi-function parts rock...:cool:

30. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

You should patent that plate. What a cool part! I'm sure others have the same thoughts about cutting up a perfectly good frame.