Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical This motor just don't want to run

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thompsonwayne1, Jul 15, 2014.

1. thompsonwayne1

thompsonwayne1

283 in my roadster.
    last week I was talking about a three 2 barrel Rochester set up that wouldn't run with 3 "rebuilt" carbs I bought. Wouldn't even run on the center one alone
    I bought the Speedway motors kit for chevy with 3 new Stromburg clone carbs and new mainfold, linkage,etc.
    Put it all together tried the center carb only at first and the same old spittering and sputtering, just like the rochester.
    Replaced the points, cap, condenser, plugs, and rotor (they all looked fine) and it ran perfect. Took it out for a 5 mile ride, ran great.
    Today I replaced some rotten rubber gas lines under the car and installed a gas shut off by the fuel cell and a new gas filter.
    Started it up and same old spittering and sputtering is back, will hardly run
    The plug wire all check out at about 10 K resistance, bought a new ignition coil and ran direct 12 volts to it from battery. I've got a fuel pressure regulator and am putting about 2.5 pounds gas pressure to the carb
    I'm running out of parts to replace, this thing is driving me crazy. Any ideas? Because I'm out of ideas
    Thanks

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Built up junk in your carbs. Sometimes it takes a while, before the damage starts. I'd rebuild the carbs and see what's inside.

3. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Water in the gas

4. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Gremlins. I'm beginning to think that it's ignition related. Since it ran well, then didnt....look for a loose wire in the ignition system. Start at the ignition switch and move forward.

5. thompsonwayne1

thompsonwayne1

Can't rebuild the carb. As I said, it's brand new from speedway. I have fuel filters, so gas is clean, I thought ignition that's why I got a new coil and ran a hot wire to the battery, bypassing all the ignition switch and all related wiring. Tomorrow I'm going to drain all gas and flush lines and add fresh gas.

6. How old is the gas in there?
    -Pat

7. mike bowling

mike bowling

I was having similar problems with a motor a couple of years ago. Everyone I asked suggested I replace this and that even though most of it was almost new.(But sometimes "new " parts are junk especially electrical stuff made south of the border).So I got a new wire set, plugs,points,coil, dist.cap etc. and probably spent around $200. bucks on suggested parts. I finally talked to a retired diagnostics guy and he said "stop spending money and bring it to my house". He still had his '60s Sun engine analyzer and hooked the car up to that. The dwell was off a little, the timing was off a little,the floats in the carbs weren't set right,and he tweaked the idle /mixture screws and found a vacuum line that was leaking.Took about 20 minutes, and ran like a bear. I'm no mechanic, so this was all pretty amazing to watch.Nothing was "that" off, but the combination of all the little things made for big problems. My suggestion would be the same as his; find someone with some diagnostic equipment and nail it down.This guys name is Bob Walton; he's in his seventies and still races at New England Dragway.He has a Fiberfab Jamaican( he's had forever) with a 351 and a 4 spd and is having a ball racing it ( he even took it to Florida with him last winter and raced it there.) Good luck with it. Mike from Mass.

8. thompsonwayne1

thompsonwayne1

OK, thanks, however this problem comes and goes. 1/4 of the tank was last years gas and I added 3/4 new gas and it ran for quite a while ( 10 miles ) after that before I started having problems. However tomorrow I'm still going to drain and flush the fuel system and put new gas in it.

9. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Just because the carbs are new, does not mean they are clean. EMPI, and some other off shore company that makes weber IDA replica's are filthy with manufacturing debris. I would make sure the floats are set right, especially on mail order shipped carbs.

10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Is your coil internally resisted if not 12 volts is too much voltage.

11. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I've got an inline filter on a relatively new tank with all good clean new lines and I buy gas from clean stations w/ up to date tanks and equip, but I still end up having to swap the gold filter in my center carb - 3x2 Rochester 2Gs - regularly. I don't really understand where the crud comes from, or what it is, because I never see anything, but it solves my spitting and sputtering problems.

12. wirickpiao

wirickpiao

I'm beginning to think that it's ignition related. [​IMG]

13. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Check your grounds.A loose or poorly grounded wire can cause intermittent run issues

14. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

How is the battery and charging system?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

I would disconnect the carbs from the tank and see if it will run right on fresh clean gas.
    Some debris from the rotten lines may have gone to the carbs before you changed them as well. If so you'll have no choice but to crack them open.

16. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

Is this a stock Chevy distributor? If so, is it in good shape? I have seen problems come and go from a worn out distributor, especially if the advance pins and weights were worn.

17. You need someone that can diagnosis the problem not guess!
    ^(mike) a few little things wrong can make it run bad.....
    1. 12 volts to the coil will burn the points
    2. running for 10 minutes than running rough tells me you have bad gas
    3. ^ debris from the "rotten" fuel lines may have gotten into the carbs
    4. they don't need to be rebuilt, just cleaned
    5.^ worn out parts in the distributor and poor mechanical advance operation can cause erratic running conditions.
    6. make sure the short ground wire in the distributor is intact and secure

18. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Just curious, you can't rebuild the carbs, or don't want to rebuild the carbs? That said, if it ran, then didn't after you messed with the fuel lines, I'd say it's fuel related. pull the carb and clean the bowl, etc, then put it back together. My bet is all it needs is a good spray with carb cleaner, and maybe floats adjusted.

If it clears up, that's what it was. If not, I'd go to ignition, coil first, because a new coil doesn't mean it's a good coil, and it could be shorting out internally as it gets hot.

Mike

19. The "crud" comes from ethanol. I soaked a carb this year that came off of an OT vehicle that I use a lot. I have done a lot of carbs since about '68 and it was the filthiest I have ever soaked. Ethanol is not for carbureted cars. It corrodes everything.

Now for the OP, I'm going to tell you a story. I knew a guy once that sold me a '68 B/RB Coronet once cheap because it had a miss that he couldn't cure. I asked him what he had done he said that he changed all the plugs except the last two on the drivers side, then it was still missing so he put new tires on it. The miss didn't go away. Changing the last two plugs on the drivers side cured it.

If your engine won't run putting tri-power on it won't cure it, then buying expensive off shore parts to cure the new problem won't cure it either. Find the problem and cure the problem. it may be a fuel issue or it may be an ignition issue or it could need a valve job or rings or . . . you catch my drift right?

20. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Crud in the carbs is STILL a possibility!
    Most aftermarket, carb type fuel filters can let through lots of smaller particle junk. You'd be surprised. Open one of those carbs up and look. Then get a GOOD filter and put it in. I like using 86 BMW 325 filters. Made for fuel inj. so it filters out 10 times smaller particles than a carb type filter. Large canister so it works a long time, and 5/16" barbed ends, so no special fittings needed.

jbrittonjr likes this.
  21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Dump those crappy high resistance plug wires, and get a set of Moroso Ultra 40 Race wires. They will work with your radio, but wont cut your spark to nothing. $69 at Summit.

22. NOPSI

NOPSI

I, for one, can make use of this idea. Thanks for the tip!

23. Andy

Andy

You replaced the carbs and have the same problems? I think you have eliminated carbs as the problem. I suspect burned points or not set right. Someone said 90% of carb problems are in the distributer. Use a coil with a resister or put in a resister.

24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I've used BMW 325 filters on everything I have since 1986! (I was in the business, and bought them by the case) NONE better! (not Fram)

25. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I've had similar problems:
    One time it was a plugged fitting on the gas tank - muck would float around sporadically until it blocked the line - car would idle but "run out of gas" after a min or two. The much would let enough gas past to idle well, but not enough to drive over 25mph for very long. Clean much from tank problem went away.

Next time I had a condenser take a shit (partially) again - it'd run 25 or 30 mph all day long no problem - above that it lost power belched and was generally pissed off - replace condenser problem went away.

Brand new coil took a shit and leaked COIL OIL thru the coil wire into the dizzy and coated everything in there with crystal clean oil - fun to find. (I've actually had this happen TWICE in 20 or so years).

Had a fuel pump loosen the check valve , new-ish pump took a bit to find since I ruled out the "new" part early on. Pulled the pump apart- pressed the check valve into position and restaked it - been fine since.

Fuel problems always seemed to sputter a bit - electrical was always a bit more abrupt even when it was a intermittent thing. YMMV

26. Smokin Jeff

Smokin Jeff

This is simple but it happened to me. Check and see if you have carbon ignition wires. If you do and have changed the coil you may have broken the carbon in the coil wire. If so the engine will run like you are describing.

27. spanners

spanners

Didn't an old dragracer once say "90 % of fuel problems are electrical"? I'm not an expert but is it possible the coil is heating up and breaking down. I suggest this because the one in my drag car was fine on start-up, but after a while it would breakdown under load. Fitted a new one and away she went.

28. thompsonwayne1

thompsonwayne1

It was the distributer.
    I drained my aluminum gas tank, then added some new gas and rocked it around in there, and drained it. Then I added fresh gas and a new fuel filter and pulled the line off the carb , cranked the motor and pumped gas into a mason jar. It was brown colored. No crud in it, just brown color. I cranked the motor until the line was flushed and I got clean, clear gas. I thought that's it, dirty gas.
    Started it up and spit, sputter, spit, sputter.Ran it until all the old gas in the carb was used up. Spit,sputter,spit,sputter. Pulled the carb apart, clean as a whistle.
    I put a gas can on top of a step ladder and got a syphon going through a clean fuel hose and jambed the hose on the carb hose barb. You can't get a better fuel delivery system than gravity.
    I ran a wire directly from the battery positive to the coil positive. ( coil does not require resistor) than ran a wire from battery negative to the distributer body. You can't get more direct wiring than that.
    Tried again, spit sputter,spit, sputter.
    I remember from a few days ago after I put all new internals in the distributer it ran good for a few miles before it went to crap again.
    Pulled the distributer out and examined it top, bottom, and every way I could. Everything looked fine.
    Bought and installed a complete whole new distributer. Started right up and runs fine now .
    Still can't see anything wrong with the old distributer???

29. I liked your post because I agree 110%.
    Problem is it falls on the deaf ears of the parts changer mentality because they are too busy guessing. Until someone actually see how this diagnostic stuff works they are unlikely to try any of it.

30. thompsonwayne1

thompsonwayne1

I know how diagnostic eqpt. works. I worked 2 years as an auto mechanic right out of high school, until I went into construction, where you make more money and only get dirty, not greasy. I would have gladly taken it to someone with diagnostic equiptment except I didn't know anyone that had the eqpt., didn't know of any stuff I could have borrowed or used, and since it wouldn't run well enough to drive I would have had to rent a trailer to get it there if I had even found someplace to take it.
    Sorry if I offended anyone by just replacing parts, which probably ended up the cheaper , faster way.

Andamo and loudbang like this.