Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Harvey Flywheel 292 Y Block Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ken1939, Jul 14, 2014.

1. ken1939

ken1939

I believe there have been some posts in the past on the Harvey Aluminum Flywheels, I cannot locat them. I just purchased a T10 with the Car Bellhousing and this flywheel for a 292 Y Block I have. It came out of a running car. My worries about the flywheel is that my understanding is the Harvey's were for race, not street applications. Is this a flywheel that can be used on the street? I do not know.
    The T10 is in great shape, as is the throw out bearing, but I will need the proper pressure plate and clutch to use with this flywheel. Asking if this is even a good idea. If not would love any suggestions as to a good flywheel to get, clutch and pressure plate combo. Not a high performance application so I am not going to spend 1K on a clutch, this will be a driver. Pictures attached of the flywheel, also any tips for the T10 would be nice as well, I believe I will need a pilot bearing for the input shaft. The flywheel also has the name Shief on it as well. Combo will end up in a 32 Ford Phaeton.
    . DSCF0532.JPG DSCF0533.JPG DSCF0534.JPG DSCF0536.JPG

Attached Files:

2. 55Brodie

55Brodie

It is a Schieffer flywheel.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

My opinion......it is a race intended flywheel, based on the low mass, extreme light weight design intended for quick rise in rpm. The low mass also means it cannot absorb much heat. It appears to have a bronze wear surface.

I would suppose it could be used in a street application, in a fairly lightweight (such as your '32 Phaeton) car and if not 'abused' in a lot of stop and go driving requiring frequent 'slippage'. The low mass also means the engine might be more easily stalled upon clutch engagement unless the engine produces lots of torque at low rpm.

Since you have it, why not give it a try. It may work well in spite of the theoretical issues stated above.

"Harvey" is likely the foundry that produced it.

Ray

4. snaptwo

snaptwo

Harvey Aluminum was a foundry in So Cal , they did forging for many manufacturers , Sheiffer , Mickey Thompson and more speed related cos. .. My cuz used to pitch MT's rod blanks over the fence thinking we could take them to some shop and have them finished , Wrong !

5. snaptwo

snaptwo

Shelton's maroon driver 32 ster has an aluminum wheel in it and has run better than 80 Thou. with it. That little SJ 327 just loves the freedom !

6. ken1939

ken1939

Chances are I will make this a wall hanger and just phone Mummerts for the proper kit.