Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical finding a Jag or similar IFS in the midwest

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by toxonix, Jul 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toxonix

toxonix

I'm dropping the Twin I-Beam and front drums from my 66 Effie to box the frame and weld in a Jag front end.
    Is there some expert in the rust belt who supplies XJ6-XJ12 front ends for hot rods? I heard something like that, but no idea who or where this person was.
    The stock of 20+ year old cars in junk yards here is pretty much zero, except for maybe U-Pull-It on the southside.

2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Why I went with a crown vic. why put 20 year old suspension on thats hard to find parts for?

3. luckystiff

luckystiff

where exactly are you? i found my regular supplier of donors through a craigslist ad a coupla years ago. if things are real tight for indings around there then theres always either ebay(theres one on there most times) or finding someone thats willing to palletize and ship you one. breaking it down to just the crossmember by itself and associated parts by themselves may make it greyhoundable.

now heres a coupla notes on doing jag in a twin i beam truck:
    if you want more than 4-5" of drop you're gonna want to notch it into the frame a bit like i did in my 62.

if you don't want to notch the crossmember into the frame you are going to have to do a small notch in the frame on each side at the top to clear the control arm as it will fowl with the rail if not. i had pics around here somewhere i'll see if i can dig them up.

depending on how low you go you are going to move the axle centerline forward 1.5-2". i moved mine 1 3/4" and it is good but as low as i went(notched 3" into the frame via doing a 2x2x3/16 backbone inside the framerail and then boxing everything) i could have went 2". my truck is about as low as most would want to go static dropped. my truck with 205/70/15 front and 235/75/15 rear measures 5" off the ground at the rocker at the front of th door and 6" at the rear of the door at the rocker....ken....

4. luckystiff

luckystiff

pure bullshit. i can have any of those "hard to find parts" in my hand in 24-48hrs with no problem. most from my local parts house and at standard replacement parts prices.

and if he's in the rust belt how nice do you think the salt has been to that aluminum crossmember for the last 5-11 years?

need louvers ? likes this.

5. toxonix

toxonix

Thanks for the info luckystiff, that's the good stuff. I'm on the North side of Chicago, just outside the city limits.
    I do want to move the front axle forward a bit, and move the rear axle forward about 1 - 1 1/2" inch.
    Not sure if it's going to help, but you can feel all that iron in the 390FE up front. I'd like to move the whole engine back a bit, but it's about 1" from the firewall now.
    I could probably find a first or second gen Panther front end. There are a lot of old Lincolns and Mercs around here come to think of it.

6. toxonix

toxonix

No Panther front ends on Ebay except for 2000+. That looks like an expensive and wrong option because of the aluminum and the resulting track width being too wide. Looking for no more than 63" from hub to hub. A few parts cars here and there on CL; maybe I can find one locally. There are lots of beat up Panthers but people just keep driving them forever. 400k+ miles, burning oil, bald tires, they don't care!

7. Just keep an eye on CL for a complete Jag donor car. The body will be rusted and once the engine or other major drivetrain part breaks or needs significant repair, the typical Jag owner bails on the car. This may be more success than just trying to find the IFS separately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.