Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Oil coming out the breather on my 350

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by punisher7, Jul 14, 2014.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I would figure out the fuel in the oil first then work on your breather system.unless your PCV hose is clogged with oil you can run it tell you get a baffled valve cover.

2. punisher7

punisher7

Ill swap out the fuel pump. Any other suggestions on what may be allowing fuel into the oil other than a bad fuel pump?

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Carbs flooding

4. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Not sure why so many people think a fuel pump is the only reason for gas dilution in the crankcase? It could also be caused more often by too rich carburetion scenario. I'd be pulling the plugs to see if they are burning black and sooty. Or if the heavy rich smell is out the tailpipe also. May be your carburetion is having issues, or need a rebuild if they are pouring excess fuel down the cylinder walls.
    A fuel pump is a cheap, easy fix, but may not be the problem that's causing gas in the oil.

5. punisher7

punisher7

Pulled the plugs and this is what I have.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

6. miller

miller
    from New Jersey

...aftering looking at the plugs the set on the left looks like there is 3 different heat range plugs,...this may not be your problem but it may cause other problems...miller

7. punisher7

punisher7

I swapped plugs, changed the oil filter and fuel pump. I just finished working on the wife's mustang. Im going to get it on the road tomorrow. The oil has quite a bit of gas in it anx was really thin.

8. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

I had the same problem with my 283 when I bought my 36 Chevy. I popped off and bought a new 350 crate. I put it all together and had the same problem when I cruised at 80 mph. It streaked oil down the valve cover. I ordered set of baffles from a hot rod shop and stopped it. I carefully drilled mounting holes in the inside of my moon valve covers and used knurled rivets to attach the baffles. Reading the plugs will tell you what's going on.

9. If you have any significant amount of gas in your oil, you have a potentially dangerous situation. As the chorus goes, "it only takes a spark..." If you have flooded it so that gas got past the rings, change the oil. Oil contaminated with gas is dangerous and not good for bearings or cylinder walls.

10. punisher7

punisher7

So I swapped out plugs, fuel pump and changed the oil and filter. I have about 20 miles on the car and no oil coming out anywhere. Hopefully the problem was fixed. Thanks for all the replies everybody.

11. miller

miller
    from New Jersey

....Is the problem solved?....Miller

12. punisher7

punisher7

I have about 80 more miles on the car and I have a very small amount of oil coming out the passenger side breather. I ordered new valve covers with baffles. Hopefully I have those this week and that will kill off the last little bit of oil coming out. Ill post next week once I get some miles on the new valve covers to see if that does the trick.

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Have you had a look at the plugs yet?

14. punisher7

punisher7

I posted a pic of the plugs a few posts up.

15. SimonSez

SimonSez

The 350 that came in the 1967 Camaro has one (block #3892657) but pretty sure it is the only exception.

16. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Rich is on the money. Hook it up to center carb. If progressive, front is open a lot less than always, like center.
    Could you smell fuel in the pcv hose.

17. punisher7

punisher7

Ill switch that out right now.

18. good to hear she is running better. Did you see any faults with the fuel pump, did it look like it was leaking into block?
    Those baffled valve covers will do well

19. punisher7

punisher7

It did appear to be leaking gas. The sealant on the gaskets was gone and it was leaking oil pretty good from the fuel pump mount.

20. ok thats good. I wanted to make sure it was at least a bit evident, because if you couldnt tell I was afraid it might be something else. If you can see the failed part then better.
    good job on diagnosing this one out :cool:

21. Is the breather or the PCV baffled? They have got to be baffled (both of them) to work properly.

If they are baffled and you open one or both and they have steam (mist) coming out of the hole that is called blow by and your are pretty much screwed.

22. punisher7

punisher7

The PCV is not baffled. A little steam does come out the PCV hole. Not much and Im not smoking at all yet so I am going to let it be for now.
    Thanks again to everybody for your replies. I will update the thread once I add the new valve covers.

23. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    Your original PCV system looks fine as long as the piece that goes into the VC grommet is a PCV valve like the one below.

[​IMG]
    I'd be more concerned about the fuel smell in the oil. If you can smell fuel in your oil you have a serious problem that needs to be corrected before you wipe out an engine. Been there done that. The smell of fuel in the oil has nothing to do with the PCV system. Worry about that problem before you ruin a good engine while fretting about the PCV system.

I ruined a new 396 engine fretting about a dirt in the carb while the oil was diluted by the excess fuel. Wiped the cam, bearings and destroyed the new engine.

24. punisher7

punisher7

I believe the gas is out of the oil for now. I am monitoring it and continue to check the dipstick. I will probably drop the oil in about 2-300 miles to make sure there isn't any more gas getting into the oil.

25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I was curious if you had looked at your new plugs to see how the mixture was.
    An easy test for gas in the oil is pull the dipstick and see if you can light the oil on the dipstick with a lighter.

26. punisher7

punisher7

Ill try lighting it on fire and ill pull the plugs and look at them tomorrow morning. Ill post pics of the plugs after i pull them

27. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Fred what are you referring to as "side baffles"? I've got a small leak on driver's side at rear of valve cover, but only when I'm running @ the drags. If I wipe it off between runs, it never gets to ground. And it doesn't leak under normal, but spirited, driving. I'm thinking acceleration is puhing oil to rear of cover and somehow it's seeping a little out. Solid flat tappets and roller rockers.

28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yes, side baffles. The only problem I'm having is my Speedway versions aren't as cool as the more expensive, vintage Offenhauser side baffles. Your "problem" is excessive speed. I'd leave it alone.

29. CHOPTOP_T

CHOPTOP_T
    from place

I read something that you should have the proper pcv valve for motor/cam... How do you know? I have a 1968 327 with a mother thumper cam the guy at the auto parts store just handed me one said this will work. Also i have aluminum finned edelbrock valve covers that arent baffled there are post on the underside which looks like you could tap them but the post are directly iver the rockers so im afraid if i made a baffle the rockers would come close to hitting it or hitting it. The breathers and pcv are screw jn so rubber grommet baffles wont seal right im thinking about switching my b.covers altogether even though i like the look of these