Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2014 Meltdown Drags #5 thread, vintage drag meet, July 18,19&20 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Hey Skippy! Dont ya love it when a plan comes together? I hope you have a trouble free trip and a magnificent Meltdown! P.S. I hate workin on anything but my Stude and my ancient Harley....

Attached Files:

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I sure hope so fresh engine and fresh tranny

3. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

Redline must be gettin' excited, he keeps sayin' things twice! :)

4. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

...or my lack of sleep lately is makin' me see double! :confused: That's gonna make for alotta yellow lights on the Christmas tree! o_O

5. I aint figgered out why this puter ids doin that....sorry for the double posts...

6. Howzit goin Ric? Have ya gotten to test-blast ole "Honey Chile"?

7. koop13

koop13
    from Wisconsin

All,

I just got off the phone with Al Roker to get his weather forecast for the weekend and here we go...

Thursday... High of 76
    Friday... High of 75
    Saturday... High of 80
    Sunday... High of 82 with a 30% chance of rain

In summary, the weekend has a 100% chance of awesome!

For the California, Carolina and other long distance haulers, this is the best weather forecast for a Meltdown yet. The likelihood of any rain is minimal and the they do a great job getting the track ready should it rain.

It is going to be rather hard to sleep and get any work done the rest of this week.

beebee78 and 30dodgeboy like this.
  8. Kool
    Kool! any ideas what the overnight lows are gonna be?

9. koop13

koop13
    from Wisconsin

Looks like high 50's to low 60's each night

10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

OK Furious hope you get a good look at shamu's tail

and I prefer my cheddar smoked.

11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Fixin too chalk one up fur the south.

12. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

We've been watchin' the forecast for about the last week and are seein' the same thing! Thought maybe I put in the wrong city or something the first time I looked at it! We went to Dragfest @ Bakersfield in 2010 and the weather was perfect. Ric said he was hoping the weather at the Meltdown was gonna be about the same and I figured there was no chance! Glad we're catchin' the event on a good weather year! I have a feeling we'll be planning our trip out for next year on the way back this year. :) The good thing about the long haul and leavin' tomorrow night is we'll be on our way instead of bein' at work!

91whitestang and II FUNNY like this.
  13. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

Haven't talked to Ric since this afternoon, but he was gonna work half-day and try to finish up the last few things: finish throttle linkage, check toe-in and tighten steering jam nuts, install shifter handle & line lock switch, put water & fuel in it & make some noise! :D I'm heading over there after I get off work to help him finish up and/or load the motor home & trailer. Maybe I'll make it in time for the test drive!

14. Kool! Keep me updated? With pics? (gittin greedy now huh?)

15. Tanks!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Hope the rain stays away Sunday ! Sunday !Sunday !

17. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

weather...really???? awesome -awesome-awesome !!!!!
    now if i can just keep the valve train happy for 310+ miles there,run the snot out of it, and 310+ miles back, that would be good ! ha-ha!! last year it made it about 70% of the way there,and broke a rocker arm. DOH!

18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Good luck we are leaving Thursday going up through Hannibal if you have problems.

19. my father, his buddy, and myself will be there all 3 days, making the drive down from Toronto area, I CANT WAIT! lol

plumbid and 91whitestang like this.
  20. Saxxon

Saxxon

Tricky Steve - Can't wait to see that coupe run. We saw it last year and lamented that it sat on the trailer all weekend (Didn't know the story... sorry) Still had it ranked in my top 3 favorite cars in attendance. (Along with Kip's sinister black Chevy and a certain blown candy red Austin gasser)

The Scout has been un-bent !!
    An hour with our crank straightener and we have it darn close to where it needs to be. Painted it before I left the shop and resisted the temptation to assemble it while the paint was still wet and avoided having finger prints dry into the paint. Big fault of mine. No patience. Should be together within an hour this morning. All day thrash on the trailer and packing. Wife has already written me off as she hasn't seen me since last Thursday.

Final head count from Winnipeg:
    4 cars: 37 Willys street rod, 23 T altered and our Scout and Prefect
    13 bodies

All coming from 16+ hours. So no whining about 3 or 4 hour trips here folks. I'm sure the So-Cal group can back us up on that one. No excuses - be there !!!

Everyone drive safe !!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
    91whitestang and II FUNNY like this.
  21. Saxxon

Saxxon

North vs. South Shootout !!

Reminder:
    Take pictures and video !!
    The car, the crew, the driver(s), the racing (from all angles). In car, Out car, On car, staging, burnout, finish line, tow back, thrash between rounds - grab it all !! If anyone heads to Sam's with the cars, get shot there as well.

Our group will be parked with the Great Lakes Gassers. Look for the Scout / Canadian flags.
    We'll have laptops and drives for loading content. - Please wait until after the racing as we might be a little busy. Anytime on Sunday would be ok as we are a LOT more relaxed that day... just so you know, we tend to load and leave by 2pm (ish)

Other options:
    Load it on cheap flash drives and hand it to us.
    E-mail it to us after the event. [email protected]

91whitestang and beebee78 like this.
  22. Made the very first test blast on the driveway yesterday and still have a grin on my face today... I think I may need surgery to have it removed! The new build is strapped down in the trailer and ready for the ride to Byron.

Safe travels everyone!

beebee78 and koop13 like this.
  23. Man, the cool down will be a welcome relief. Rollin' from Georgia, can't wait!!!!! Quite the collection o' hot rods this year. Think it's gonna be THE year. Yup, they're gonna be sayin'...." 'member back in '14, DAMN that was good!!".

91whitestang, beebee78 and II FUNNY like this.
  24. Ya, we're looking at 1800 miles and an average of about 6 miles to the gallon, so no candy bitch power whining about your couple hour drive!

25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looks like we will have some empty seats is someone wants to ride along. We will leave early Thursday morning from Columbia Mo. If so shoot me a message.

26. powrshftr

powrshftr

Still struggling to get the little puke ready to rock....carb is giving me nightmares,sediment in the fuel tank,bumper is all wonky....Thing is haunted,I swear.

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. powrshftr

powrshftr

Ric and Marc,are you guys ready...?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. So cool to getta play by play of people blastin off!!!! See ya soon Davey! P.S. I have ALWAYS been one to assemble with wet paint....I rationalize it with the trueism
    " It's a go car, not a show car...I aint takin it to the fair!!!"

29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I hear you redlineracer my is a field car we drug it out of a field and spent 20 days on it to get it ready for the cowtown nostalgia drags back in 08 and never had anything done body wise.My youngest son worked on sprucing up the interior for me.

Scott I have been working on my carb because I cant use the 2 step so been working on a stumble when I hit the go peddle from the start I was thinking with the mech secondary carb it was too much but found out it was going lean and installed the 50 CC accelerator pumps on both ends of my carb and its happy now. Boy this thing is going to burn some fuel.