Register now to get rid of these ads!

Updating Breaks on Styleline -49

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by caroholic, Jul 12, 2014.

1. caroholic

caroholic

Hi all!
    I've got a 1949 Chevrolet Styleline Business coupe that I bought for a few years back, it's really rough and have seen better days... One thing I want to fix is to give it better brakes, I have seen various companies making a brakebooster that is mounted on the original place under the floor, anyone tried one of these?? They seem pretty smooth but I guess they would be the 'low-spot' on the car?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. I put a under the floor power brake kit from Performance online on my 57 and the install was easy. After reading your post , it answered my braking problem. No matter how I adjusted the rear and bred everything, it took two pumps to get the pedal up there. On my 40 Chevy I put residual valves inline because the master cylinder was under the floor. The kit on the 57 does not have any, yet. The booster is not very large and fits very nice . I did have to recut a new access hole that ended under the seat(truck).
    They have a remote fill cap for the dual MC but I didn't want to pay what they wanted and will make my own. Breeding the brakes is a pain for the cap is right at the floor. Hope that helps, good luck.

3. First thing you can do to save some headaches is get '51-'54 front backing plates and convert it to Bendix brakes. Bolt on swap that lets you use very common and easy to find parts.

Personally, for the effort I'd put the master on the firewall and save myself a lot of hassle with valves and remote filling and so forth, but that's a personal preference.

4. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

I am running a non boosted master cylinder that is located under the floor pan. I ordered all of it from Chevy of the forties and love it. Only thing that did not come in the disc brake kit were the 2 front rubber brake lines. Those were sourced from Napa. I think TCI makes the brake kits sold through Chevy of the 40's. Looking back I maybe would go with the fire wall mount just for the access of the reservoir.

5. caroholic

caroholic

Thanks for the answers! I have looked into the kit from performance online... The thing I like about that kit is that it doesnt show, I personally dont want it mounted on the firewall, i like the clean look without a booster! Also im mounting a 350 automatic so Thats why I want to update the brakes! I guess that the original doesn't quite do the trick! I also want to keep the drumbrakes for the looks! (I know, im a weird guy)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. I put the power booster and dual MC on before the disc. The 4 wheel drum set up worked but locked up the front really easy. I'm not sure if this fits your needs but I went through their Ebay sale and saved about $100. for the whole set-up. I too like the cleaner look of under the floor MC/booster.