Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Nebraska Survivor Hot Rod - Model A Roadster Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jess, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Great old hot rod and an outstanding story to go with it.

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

was wondering where the hell you've been, jess

kidcampbell71 and jess like this.
  3. Very cool Jess! I can't wait to see it at the Hillclimb! (And maybe the HAMB Drags???)

4. 396skip

396skip
    from MN

NICE!!!!!! Cool story from one of Linc's nicest families!!!! Glad I can consider us friends.....

jess likes this.
  5. agshelby

agshelby
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great work - very cool.

6. jess

jess
    from Nebraska

The drums and studs came from Mac’s. Their standard replacement drum slip over the rear hub like new cars. The challenge is getting the old studs out. He cut them flush, drilled 1/8” hole partway in (centered), then 7/16 but not through so you have material for pounding them out. Countersink to remove the Ford roll, then a big hammer. He was just saving the hubs.

7. jess

jess
    from Nebraska

Haha! Diet Mountain Dew is dad's weakness.

8. jess

jess
    from Nebraska

I think dad will drive the car as is for a while and enjoy it. That yellow-ish color is aged white house paint put from years and years ago. I'm not sure what it'll end up being in the end. I'll post the new interior pics soon!

9. jess

jess
    from Nebraska

A friend that creates interiors graciously did both of the seats in the original 1954 style. We installed them on Saturday and they are beautiful.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Upsey Daisy:
    [​IMG]

My mom testing out the rumble seat. (We had been sitting on canoe cushions up until now.)
    [​IMG]

My nephew found the perfect spot to cool off.
    [​IMG]

All kiddos must think alike… This is a photo of my sister and me on the running board of the 1934 Ford Sedan (which is now her car.) I’m the one sleeping. It was the photo opportunity of the day because there’s another picture of my brother posing next to me as well.
    [​IMG]

FlynBrian likes this.
  10. Mark C.

Mark C.

That is so cool to see an old hot rod revived after all those years of being dormant. I'd love to hear some stories of it being used as a year round daily driver all those years.

What would be really cool is to document Frank's stories and write a history of all you know about the car. Sounds like it has lived a few lives already and is about to embark on yer another one.

I know I've looked at many old cars over the years and wondered what stories it would tell me if it could talk. This might be an opportunity to let the car talk a little. Just a thought I had, but I dig the stories of old cars just as much as I dig the cars themselves.

11. jess

jess
    from Nebraska

You are thinking what I'm thinking Mark C! I just need to make the time to do. I'll take a recorder when Frank comes out for his ride. :)

FlynBrian likes this.
  12. Mark C.

Mark C.

Excellent, Jess! I look forward to reading about it here! ;)

13. Squablow

Squablow

Great car and a really cool story, great to see it up and running again, but still preserved. Kind of a shame to replace the engine that had been in it for so long, but I must admit, the hot B motor is a pretty sweet replacement. Thanks for sharing.

14. I like what you have done and what you haven't done. Run it til the snow flies and then you can piddle the winter away making "improvements."

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I bet this is the first time in the history of hot rodding that someone has pulled a flathead out of a Model A and replaced it with a 4 banger!!

volvobrynk and jess like this.
  16. Great story and what a neat car,getting the roadster back on the road to make more memory's,how cool is that! HRP

17. steve hackel

steve hackel

I really enjoy your build - trying to do much the same thing myself. Could you please post some information and a few more pictures regarding the flywheel housing / bell housing that you are using? From what little I can see, it appears to be a Chevy aluminum bell housing that fits up to the T-5 trans, but how did you adapt it to the A' flywheel housing,..................... ? Thanks

18. Jess,
    The roadster is very cool....I am having the Rolling Bones Boys at my shop in Marquette, Nebraska Aug 4th for a lunch party. BQ Ribs & all the fixens. Wanted to invite you to attend and bring the roadster. I am sure you will have a great time and see some outstanding hot rods.
    The lunch starts around noon and goes until we head out for Bonneville and that usely is around 4:30 or so. RSVP me if you think you can make it.
    383deuce

19. jess

jess
    from Nebraska

Thank you for the invite! That's very nice of you. I'll pass the message to my dad. The museum is very busy around Bonneville time, as many racers pass through Lincoln to see the museum along the way. I myself am going to Bonneville as well, so I'll be busy on Monday tying up loose ends at work before "vacation." Thanks!

20. jess

jess
    from Nebraska

Sunday afternoon, I heard a rumble in my driveway. It was my parents with the newly road worthy roadster. They were on their way to see Frank and to give him his long awaited ride in his old roadster. So my sister and I followed the hot rod to Frank’s house.
    [​IMG]

Frank and his family were outside waiting for the roadster to arrive. Frank was all smiles. And so were his sons. The roadster hadn’t been home for many years.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Three generations of Schaffers going for a joy ride:
    [​IMG]
    The roadster in front of it’s home in 1967:

[​IMG]

The roadster today; Frank and his three grown sons
    [​IMG]

Frank and his great-grandson Cooper:
    [​IMG]

Frank and my dad, John:
    [​IMG]

In brotherly fashion, the boys were cracking jokes at each other. Even Frank poked fun at the boys. Here is video of Frank's first ride:
    [​IMG]

After the drive, my dad said that he was happy to have fulfilled his goal of giving Frank a ride in his old hot rod. Both men smiled and shook hands. It’s amazing that this little surviving hot rod gets to live again.
    [​IMG]

And now onto fulfilling the second goal: Driving the roadster in the Hot Rod Hill Climb in Georgetown, Colorado, in September. He’ll be putting a few miles on it before then for sure.

21. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

How awesome is that!? This sure puts a smile on my face, as I'm sure it did Frank. Very cool of you guys to do that, Jess!

22. Nice story - Cool car-Great people-doesn't get any better
    Congrats!

23. What a heart warming story, doesn't get any better than that!!! Tim

24. Great story and car!

Posted using Full box of Crayons on the Kitchen Walls App!

25. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Great story! Thanks for sharing it. Did Frank belong to any clubs when he owned the roadster?

26. napalmv8

napalmv8

Great story! Thanks for sharing!

27. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

A motor from dean. The man has the gift for building motors for sure. He did some work on my banjo rear end years ago and was more than fair when it came time to get paid.

28. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Great story, like fantasy hot rodding come to life. So... how fast is it?!?!?! Gary

29. ryno

ryno

30. Wow! Great story!