Register now to get rid of these ads!

HA/GR in Minnesota

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by bobw, Jan 14, 2009.

1. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Dave's Muffler Shop put a little flair on the end of the pipes and I welded them to the stubs on the header plates. The large rocker arms will not fit under the valve cover so a little frabicating is in order. Picked up the cute little driveshaft today. And I got all the parts to plumb the radiator.

300racer, if you don't want to build one, this one could be for sale after I run it a few times.

2. Bob, went back and read the thread.If using the Harland Sharp rockers you should have enough clearance in the valve cover by doubling up on the valve cover gasket.I think either Frenchtown or one of the other 300 racers posted that on the Ford 6 forum.

3. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Had to revise my new floor. Seems I forgot I needed a trans dip stick. I had a shortened locking one from another project. Unfortunately the dip stick location required making this confusing little piece (actually two pieces) to cover it up and hold it in place.

4. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    300racer, I got cute and had the shop leave the rocker studs .300" higher than stock. Thought it would provide better rocker arm geometry. Seems like it didn't hurt at least. However. it pushed the polylocks up quite a bit so I am putting a new, higher roof on the valve cover.

5. Old28

Old28

More than one way to skin a cat. Are those rockers 1.7 (same as BBC)? Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Your getting closer.:cool:

6. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    The valve cover now has plenty of head room. I'll add a couple 1 1/2" dia. tubes and breathers.

Tom, they are 1.6 (stock ratio) rocker arms.That was the only option as far as I know. Yes, I'm getting pretty anxious to get it running.

7. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Ya gotta love custom work on racing parts.
    She's starting to look sinister. :cool:

8. derbydad276

derbydad276

way cool nice way to get around a problem

9. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Bob, are you still planning on making it down to the Meltdown next month? I would love to see the 'bullet fly.

10. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    When I put a bigger radiator in the space under the nose got too tight to put my old steel boat tank back in there. Bought this non-Moon tank and installed it as shown.
    Should finish the valve cover tomorrow.
    Yes, I am registered and have a motel for the Meltdown Drags.

11. Old28

Old28

Looking real nice, good placement of the fuel tank & radiator to keep the front end on the ground with that "big Ford HP". Keep those pictures coming.

12. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice solution to a tough problem. Hope to see you in Byron.

13. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Finished fabbing the valve cover. Was at a junkyard full of old cars a couple days ago and grabbed a Caddy valve cover. Thought I'd have a little fun with the spectators that are unaware.
    I welded a couple angular baffles in each breather tube to keep the liquid oil from migrating up to the filters. Hope it works.

14. Old28

Old28

Well that should mess with their mind. :D:rolleyes:

15. Bob, got a good chuckle out of the valvecover!

16. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Thanks old28 and 300racer. The more I get done the more I seem to have remaining. Got the shifter, trans cooler, throttle linkage, fuel pump and filter, alternator and most of the wiring done. Built a carb scoop.

The new distributor doesn't fit, it's too tight in the block. I'll try sanding the housing a bit. Also, is it a vacuum advance only so I will either lock it at full advance or make an advance/retart gizmo with a bicycle brake cable. More wiring to do, a lot of final assembly, then fluids and adjustments. Getting close.

The Meltdown drags is a no go as my daughter in law is having surgery and Grandpa and Grandma will be on babysitting duty. Family first. Hoping to get down there for a half day of spectating...

17. Old28

Old28

Sent back another PM

18. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

Its coming along the valvecover is great If you make a manual advance syst please show it as its something I am interested in

19. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    I keep plugging away at it. Got the hoses, alternator & belt, distributor & wires, MSD box a (temporary piece) and some other stuff installed. Everything except the distributor is in place for the final time. Working on the manual ignition advance. And I redid most of the wiring. Should be adjusting the valves, finishing the header and adding fluids in the next couple days. Then it's time to fire it up, see what I've got here.

20. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

But it never actually ends, does it? :D
    I just had to re-engineer my oil pump pick-up tube to keep it from breaking off again. :rolleyes:

Lookin' nice though, that first flame shouldn't be long. Film at eleven? :cool:

21. Old28

Old28

Looking real fine. Have you redone your driveway to handle the extra power?

Send a PM on the other car, did you get it? If not I will send it again.

Best to your daughter on her surgery.

22. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    The distributor has vacuun advance only. Rather than running it locked at full advance I am modifying it so it will start on initial advance and by pulling a choke cable I can achieve full advance. I removed the vacuum canister and made this mounting plate to put in its place.

You know Dick (Old6), I could work on this thing endlessly and never really get it done.

Tom (Old28), I got your PM and belatedly answered it tonight. The daughter in law has surgery tomorrow so the wife and I will be doing a lot of babysitting this week. thanks for the thought.
    Yes, I'm hoping the driveway needs resurfacing after I rip it up with the New Silver Bullet.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  23. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Under the plate, on the left is the rod that was actuated by the vacuum diaphram. It connects to the breaker plate. There is either 10 or 12 degrees of advance in the distributor and this rod controls all of it. Brazed to the rod is a 1/4" hex coupling. A 1/16" hole is drilled across it for the choke wire, which is bent 90 degrees to stick through. The bolt will be replaced with a set screw to secure the cable wire. The cable housing is held in place by the pinch clamp on the right. There will be a knob on the switch panel in the driver's compartment that will move the breaker plate via the cable.

I hope it works

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
    loudbang likes this.
  24. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

25. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

that is cool makes me think a small solenoid like a power lock actuator might do the same got me thinking now too

26. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

Looking good Bob, can't wait to hear this baby run

27. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    The intake manifold flanges are thinner by .090" than the header flanges. I made these clamping bars from 1/4" by 1" bar stock and added a .083" thick piece to better match up with the intake manifold. Took quite a while to make 11 of them. The 6 on the bottom row are all different from each other so there was a lot of "sculpting" necessary.

Thanks, Nigel, barring any complications I should start it on Friday (2 days from now).

canadianal, as I was modifying the distributor it occurred to me that a solenoid would work. I hope someone gives it a try.

28. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

Already got one ordered on flea Bay as I have been having problems getting mine going when hot, it seems to like the advance other than when starting

29. 2b-banjo

2b-banjo

Bob, Missed you at the Meltdown Drags, 500 cars, great time. Had some excellent racing. My best time was 11.54 sec., most were 11.60, Air was not the best for the old "flathead", but happy with that!!! Also let rail spin tires at start here for more show. Hope everything went well on your end. 2b-banjo (Bob Huberty)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]

Bob, I was a spectator this year again. Saturday I left home at 4am and got to Byron at 9:45. Made a quick pass through the pits. Took pics and said HI to friends. Got an autograph and handshake from Ed Iskenderian. Wow! that was neat. Then I watched the races til 4:30 when I had to head for home.
    I didn't see you in the pits but I did see you smoke that former HAMB dragster with the sbc in it. Way to go! The performance of your car is truly impressive.

Getting close on the dragster. The valves are set. Little trouble getting the distributor in where I want it. Fluids later today. I hope the stay in the engine and trans.
    Painted the valve cover, side cover and carb scoop with Rustoleum stainless steel color. The headers are painted with VHT cast iron color. It all matches pretty well.