Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Not all car guys are cool

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Langan, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Langan

Langan
    from Eagle ID.

Went to Long Beach swap meet and lost wallet 3000 in cash and all my id. Found were I lost it and story of guys who pick it up from two vendors. Guys told them they were cops and would find me. Told they were in there 50's with black T shirts?
    Bad part is hard to get money to finish projects that was the stash.

2. 117harv

117harv

Man that sucks, maybe it will find it's way back to you with all contents still in it.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  3. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So sorry to hear-some folks are not too honest. I seldom take my wallet into a swap meet and carry my cash in my front pockets. If I do take my wallet it is in my front pocket-uncomfortable but hard to get out. Friend had his wallet heisted from his pocket at a large car gathering and never knew/felt it happen.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

No, not all car guys are cool.........neither are all "anybody"........you pick the hobby, profession, etc., and there are bad actors in all groups. It's the state of human affairs throughout the world. Now, that said, there are LOTS of very good folks out there across the same spectrum.

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. It was not helpful the 'vendors' turned over the wallet/money so easily, apparently without verifying ID of the "cops". Maybe the vendors could be interviewed by the real cops. Tough thing about cash, though...it's tough to prove that you lost it and how much you had if you lost it and then....if found on someone's person....how do you identify 'cash' as yours unless 'marked'.

A really tough break.

5. mike bowling

mike bowling

I would prefer to think they weren't even car guys- there's an awful lot of dirt bags loose in the world.Really sorry to hear your story;at a loss for words actually, other than to say that sucks in a major way. Mike from Mass.

6. gc427

gc427
    from SoCal

Shitty deal. Really sucks that some people can be such assholes!

7. fuck that shit sucks bro! sorry to hear that it happened there.

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Something smells here. Some guys in t shirts walk up and tell the vendor they are cops and he doesn't ask for a badge or proof ?? Think about it, if you found someone's wallet with a ton of cash in it and then two guys in black t shirts said they were cops, what would be the first words out of your mouth ? Mine would be, show me your badges and proof.

Either the vendor should get the dumbass of the year award , or he is telling you a story.

Don

9. Daddy_O

Daddy_O

Don beat me to it........
    A vendor found your wallet.......and turned it loose to some pair of guys in black t-shirts claiming to be cops......
    without showing ID and/or proper identification??????!!!
    Sorry.......that doesn't add up in my book. Vendor should've contacted someone with the event, and/or the cops/security to make an announcement regarding a lost wallet. That story is weak, doesn't make sense.
    Sorry for your misfortune.....but some of the other advice on this thread regarding carrying cash is valid.

Bubba1955 and slowmotion like this.
  10. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats tough!---The money can be replaced, but all your personal items are a real heartache!----I agree with the above!

11. Sorry to hear that you lost so much money,as the other guys said I keep the cash in my front pocket but I learned the hard way also..I lost my wallet when my children were small and it's all I had to my name.

I had been to the parts house and left my wallet on the counter and took my family to the diner for lunch,when I went to pay for the 4 of us I reached for my wallet and it was gone.

I explained to the guy at the diner he could keep my wife and children as hostages long enough for me to go back to the parts house to try and find my wallet but feared I would be too late...I was,it was gone.

I explained my predicament at the parts house and ask if I could get a refund and he said yes but gave me my money back and told me to keep the part I need,,he stuck a note in the cash drawer with my name on it and said I could pay him as soon as I could.

I ran into my aunt as soon as I left the parts house at a red light and ask her to pull over and explained what had happened and she loaned me 22 bucks..I went to the diner paid the bill and apologized again and told the waitress I would come back within a week with a tip..I only have a little bit more than 7 bucks till my next payday.

She told me the boss had told her what had happened and she told me don't worry about it.

One sorry SOB caused me a lot of grief but on the other hand there was 2 business owners , 1 relative and 1 waitress that stood tall and gave me the benefit of a doubt when I was at my wits end..this was over 35 years ago.

BTW,we didn't eat too good that week.

The next week I saw my aunt and gave her 25 bucks for her trouble,repaid the Gary at the parts house and continued doing business exclusively with his store until he passed away and the waitress received a 5 dollar tip and I ate at the diner at least once a month until they closed about 6 years ago.

I realize this story doesn't help you at all but sometimes bad things happen to good people.

I like to think that the thief in my and your case will pay for it many times over. HRP

12. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

That is a GDang Shame!

13. Man there's some arseholes out there, I hope it all works out for you. I'd be getting back in touch with the vendor as I'm not sure he's telling you the full story, no way I would hand it over to 2 strangers.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Bubba1955 likes this.
  14. Firefly

Firefly

For what it's worth, I found some guys wallet at an Aussie event called 'Chopped' last year. I managed to track the owner down and return it. He was amazed that he got it back. I have no idea if it had money in it or not.......only looked at his ID to find him ...... so we ain't all douche bags. Shame I didn't find your wallet ...............

Bubba1955 likes this.
  15. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Always carry it in your front pocket and with that much cash, divy it up between front pockets and your socks. Someone could grab and run in a crowded area, possibly.

16. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I left my wallet at the lug nut kings booth at the big three swap meet. When i realized i went right back in like five minutes. He claimed to have given it to an honest looking guy with a kid. I never saw the wallet again even though i checked the lost and found all weekend. Had about 5 dollars in it, but i had around two grand in my pocket. I blame the lug nut king, i had a stall a row over had talked to hime a couple times and was on a bike at the time i don't know how he thought the guy was gunna catch me.

I wanted to add that i found a guys wallet a few months ago, i had to contact a post office box place and get them to leave a note for the guy to call me. But i got it done.

17. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I dont get it. How did the "2 guys in black tee shirts" even know that there was a lost wallet with the vendor?

Bubba1955 and FlynBrian like this.
  18. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Vendor(s) kept your money, tossed your wallet, and made up the story about two guys in T-shirts.

19. Langan

Langan
    from Eagle ID.

Vendor saw the two guys pick up the wallet. Guys said they were cops and would return it? Well bin broke before and canceled . So now it's just another set back. Thanks for all the support.

20. That sucks dude. It really does.
    I'd bet the vendors told you a story after they counted your cash.

But never ever more than 50 in your wallet. If by chance you get jacked the first thing that's demanded is your wallet. What's the very last thing you want to hand over ? Your Id your C cards and your cash. Keep it separate and hidden.

21. slowmotion

slowmotion

Damn shame. Sadly, there's not much you can do about it. Do things differently the next time, live & learn.

22. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

Maybe the two guys were cops.

23. There are dishonest people in every walk of life,whether the vender is being truthful or not.

If he is indeed telling the truth he is way to gullible to believe two guys in black T shirts are policeman.

I really hope they are policeman and you get a visit or a phone call to come to the station and pick up your wallet..intact.HRP

24. Not to whoop a sore issue
    But
    How many guys at the meet fit the description of - mid 50s wearing black t shirts?

Bubba1955 likes this.
  25. I use a money belt. It may not be real convenient if you are trying to impress a lady with your big wad of cash, but it is a quite secure way to carry cash.

26. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I think that vendor just had a $3000 day at the event ! :rolleyes: His story just doesn't add up to me.

Don

Bubba1955 likes this.
  27. I am with you Steve that is the only way I carry big money.

28. Most of the guys at our swap meets have "walkers" or "scooters" and are pretty easy to catch... hardly anybody that young!

29. luckystiff

luckystiff

notto be an ass in an already bad situation but carry $3k in you wallet is amature hour. both is safety and in haggeling. i always break up money into at least 3 different areas. usually only thing in my wallet is "get home in an emergency money" which is a coupla hundred at best(less if it was a good day at the swap hahha). oh and my wallet is on a chain.

we watched the same thing happpen to a guy at spring autofair in charlotte this year. first he over paid fo a set of camaro buckets seems like he paid $700 and they looked like $300 tops to me parts. but he came back about 15 minutes later saying he dropped the envelope he had his money in when he paid. Said there was something like $1300 more in the envelope. so at least yours is in a wallet and stand the chance of the right person findin it and you getting it back. this guys money was in a plain bank envelope.

i hear about this happening just about every spring and/or fall autofair.

i've found wallets/purses a few times. they all got returned to their owner fully intact. in fact i found a ladies billfold/checkbook with money, checks, credit cards on the way in to a job interview once. manager called number he found inside before we started the interview. i was walking out from the interview when the lady came. manager pointed out that i was the one who found it and the lady tried to give me a reward but i wouldn't take it even though i needed it as i'd been out of work 6+ weeks. I got home to a message i'd been hired on my machine. i only lived about 10 minutes away. guess it was good karma....

30. If it makes you feel any better a girl that works with my girlfriend left her purse at a coffee shop with 8000 in cash in it...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!