Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What is the PERFECT RED paint color?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wsdad, Jul 12, 2014.

1. I forgot about that car, I was thinking you had owned the red and flamed one! DOH! That is the red I was referring to.

2. '61 Corvette Roman Red.

[​IMG]

Deuces, olscrounger and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. Did anyone mention Black is the new red! :D HRP

4. J & D

J & D

Mazda Miata Red. If you compare it to other reds they look Orange.

5. threewindow

threewindow

my 36 threewindow is house of colors blue blood red, everybody seems to like it

6. I don't know exactly what Henry adds to the red but it is bright in the sun..

This is a crappy photo,but that's Henry in the roadster in front of us.HRP DeuceRun2011021.jpg

Deuces, Lil32 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Base red before any tint has been added is a nice hot rod color...

8. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

My favorite is BMW Brilliant Red (or brilliantrot in the German books)...
    [​IMG]

...its one of those reds, that is just red. Coincidentally, the pictured, very OT, Brilliant Red M3 is mine.

9. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

DSCF0387.JPG DSCF0612.JPG TORCH RED !!!!!!!!!!!! Does Get Noticed.

10. bartmcneill

bartmcneill
    from Ada, OK

1969 Mustang Candy Apple Red. Why?? Seriously...........

11. GM Bolero Red 1966-67. I don't know the code

12. studeynut

studeynut

Perfect one is Red ulike

13. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had a '66 Plymouth some years ago. There was only two reds that year for them. Dark red and bright red (that was the color names). Mine was bright red. To me, still one of the nicest looking red colors out there.

14. Zenbone

Zenbone

back in the late 1990's Schwinn made a mountain bike called "Homegrown"... the Schwinn Homegrown Bass Boat Red is the perfect red. It is like they took a deep hotrod red and dumped a can of metal flake in then said, ok... now dump another can of metal flake and that should do it. I love it!

15. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

I do believe that you need to take the "N's" off of the
    Porche color names. (ie. Roma Red and India Red).
    Years back I sprayed a car for a guy that bought his own paint and it was one of the above reds. It actually burned your eyes in the sun.

VR&C.

16. indyjps

indyjps

The one that covers in very few coats and doesn't cost a fortune. I prefer deep reds without the orangey tone. Red can be difficult to pick without seeing it on a car, pics on the web just don't do it.

17. DYNO360

DYNO360

My fav is Porche's "Guardsman Red". It jumps out at ya!

18. DYNO360

DYNO360

As a side note, the 1957 Chevrolet red, "Matador Red", wasn't really red. Looks great, but it is an orange red. I like it.

19. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Factory Maroon on a 64 chevy, such as this corvair... corvair 012.JPG

20. fortynut

fortynut

And, then, there's always the real crowd-pleaser, Coca-Cola Red! Can't mess with that. Unless, it's Firetruck Red! Both as American as Cherry Red pie.

21. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I think i might go traditional early 1960's harley hi-fi red on my model T..... It's a sweet metallic and nobody can deny it isnt a true 1960's color

22. big M

big M

Flame red- \'59 SF convertible 002.JPG

jimmy six likes this.
  23. wsdad

wsdad

Is SCARLET red the same thing as the BASE red that "scrap metal 48" and "slowmotion" mentions below?

24. slowmotion

slowmotion

Not sure what it was called, but I may be able get that info if my buddy remembers. I don't recall a specific name, other than base red. It was a long time ago, and I'm old. :D

25. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

I think the perfect red is chosen by the vehicle it's going on. What looks great on one car can look clownish on another, but with slight hue changes, it could be perfect.

I may have missed this somewhere here...what are you painting?

26. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1405777556.422748.jpg

Picking a red requires more thought than most think.

To me, it highly depends on what you are building. I think some of the bright poppy red colors are too orange to look right on a traditional build car, but they look great on more modern rods and customs. Think about what you want to accomplish and then choose carefully!

In my opinion, many of the German luxury car makers have pretty nice reds that are deeper and bluer than the bright reds (like Viper Red, etc).
    Audi, BMW, Mercedes and even VW have nice examples.

My 55 pictured is 2002 Mercedes Magma Red.

The photo was taken with an iPhone on the "chrome" setting so it is a little misleading. For that matter, very few photos on the internet will give you a highly accurate color representation. Get yourself an idea of what you like and then make sure and view it in person.

Another tip... Don't sign off on the paint until you see a panel sprayed. My painter got the color exactly right on the jambs, fenderwells and under hood, but it is very slightly dark and less intense on the body. I wish that hadn't of happened.

Also, have them mix ALL of the paint at one time to avoid this chance.

Good luck!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

henryj1951 likes this.
  27. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Here are a few more pics of the same car to give you an idea of why it would be dangerous to solely make a decision from internet photos.

The magazine photo is truest to the actual color. Notice the difference between the two 55's on the magazine to see how different reds can change the car so much. All 4 of those photos are the same '55.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1405778538.322248.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1405778560.655606.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1405778578.538730.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1405778618.505586.jpg

28. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Exact same idea.

29. lonestaryankee

lonestaryankee

Check out Blueblood Red by house of color. I believe they claim it to be one of the most vibrant reds available in the industry.

30. I agree. The auto manufacturers are really making some nice factory reds nowadays. Straight, solid color reds. Along with the VW color, check out the red that Honda is using on the new Civics, and also (believe it or not) KIA. They have a red that they've been using on their entry-level Rio for the last few years that is outstanding. It's a bright solid color red, with a little black in it that puts it toward the darker, deeper spectrum.