Register now to get rid of these ads!

whats the worst hotrod thing you've had stolen

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ltex old iron, Jun 6, 2009.

1. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

early 70s,[freind ]shows apic of built 327,his cousin owns,100.00.i pay him ,sure enough no getum.the next cost was 30 days of time.but i never lost anything to anybody again!

2. inliner2318

inliner2318
    from Tyler, TX

I had a guy come to my house and look at a front clip from a 38 chevy. He said how much for just the headlights? I said $50 for the whole clip. He said no I just want the headlights. I said $50. He came back a few days later an stole the headlights and a wheel of another parts car. Go figure.

My uncle had it worse. He has a 69 trans am. One of 200 and some. He used to park it out front of his house until someone stole the cowl induction hood off it... Insurance company could not find another one to replace. No big surprise. He now has to run a fiberglass one.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Worst I had stolen was my '55 Chevy gasser in 1971. Never was found.

4. Worst thing I had stolen was a cast iron Chevy intake with a crack in it...I was glad to see it gone! :D HRP

5. 7314haywood

7314haywood
    from phoenix

70 Chevelle SS from parking lot at US 30 Dragstrip in Indiana. This was in 1979 and I found the wheels and tires on a 65 Impala 3 weeks later running at the track. They caught my eye when the starter wouldn't let him run with 4 lug nuts. The fifth was a locking lug nut now missing. Got his info and went into Gary IN to look around his house for car. Had a friend that worked for Snap on and that was his area so he looked around when stopping at shops and nothing. Three white people in alleys in Gary IN was not a smart thing to do. 1984 Suburban stolen in PHX AZ and the simple things to carry was removed and I got the truck back.

6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

My 57, stolen June 9, 1979, Raceway Park, Englishtown , NJ.

Attached Files:

7. The Guidster!

The Guidster!
    from Phoenix

My 62 SS Impala Conv. 2weeks after I finished it. By my Now X brother inlaw. Police found it the next day stripped But they descided to try and steel it from me so I was accidently never notified . The previous owner got notified the day before it was going to get sold at auction! Good thing I was friends with them so I got what was left back!!!!!

8. 296ardun

296ardun

Someone stole my whole gas welding kit, tubes, torches, hoses, even the tanks (I had to pay the cost to the place I rented them from), Pasadena, Ca, '60. Then someone stole my Craftman tools, box and all. What really pissed me off was that the tool box had a "San Fernando Drag Strip Trophy Winner" sticker on it that I got the hard way, I won a trophy there...would rather gotten back the sticker than the tool box.....

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

I had a 67 GTO that I put one of those worthless siren alarms on. I looked out the window, the hood was up, the alarm never went off, and a thieve is leaning over the drivers front fender. By the time I went to get my shotgun the thieve was gone which probably was good thing. Nothing was missing or disturbed. Those 400 Poncho's came with an aluminum air cleaner which I believe he was going to steal.

10. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:DHappened to a buddy many years ago.Came out of a hardware store to find a thief trying to get his truck door open.My buddy had just bought a 3 lb hammer.Threw it at the guy.Hit him in the small of the back. Crushed his spine and put the thief in a wheel chair for life.Judges decision.Tough shit fella.You got what was coming to ya.
    The worst on my side was having about 1500.00 bucks worth of power tools stolen.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

fourspeedwagon likes this.
  11. Davyj

Davyj

Back in 75, I came out of work and my 58 Vette that I had bought in San Diego was gone, My brother in law saw it later that day on a trailer headed into Michigan, 250 miles away................. then a few years back I built a chopped 29 sedan, had it painted and almost done. Took it to the upholstery shop and waited. Got a call from the shop that the car was ready about a month later. Went to get it and the guy says, its gone, I thought you took it last night? Turns out he had a bad habit and his dealer took it.................but it was never seen again anyway. Some bad people out there.............the only other important items that I lost is when someone drank all the beer out of my cooler while at the nats when I was looking at other stuff :(

12. Back about 1957 or 8 I had just finished putting new A arms under my 55 vette from hitting a very high curb in Long Beach Cal. That's another story on how that happened. I lived in Belmont Shore & had the car parked in an empty lot on an alley behind my apartment. Went out monday morning to go to work & it wasn't there. I turned it into the Long Beach gestapo & they grill me on how far am I behind in payments,going thru a divorce am I sure I had it parked there. It was paid for & I was single. They said they would notify me when & if they ever found it. I called them daily & nope no car yet. I come home from work on saturday to find a postcard in my mail box notifying me that my car was in Victory towing storage yard & it had been there since wednesday @ the cost of $25.00 a day. Had y day in court & you would have thought I was the frigging thief. They caught the thief in San Pedro & all they arrested him for was joy ridding. I later sold the vette & bought a 56 T-bird .

13. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Recently around here its been getting bad... I had a old set of ets on a customers car... My wheels on his car so i could move it around... Came in to work one morning and the car was on the ground, bastards werent even decent eoungh to put it on blocks, which I had plenty of sitting behind the car...
    I cant keep a battery in anything... Ive had to start taking batteries of anything outside...
    And worst of all was my dam Fish Carb.... Im think im gonna drive to CA and get it back...

14. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Kinda o/t but I lost my first old car to a thief it was a really clean 77 mustang 2. Ugly ass car but was a factory auto 302 car and it would flat out boil the little 13 inch one legger. Miss the hell out of that car. Lost the pedal car I picked up before my son was born to some scumbag and I just now got another cheap enough to fix up for him and he's almost 3. God I hate theifs

15. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

My first car a black 65 Mustang Fastback got ripped in 1972. My wife and I were just dating and decided to take in a movie. Came out later and gonzo. Thought for sure that I had just went out the wrong exit door but after a few minutes reality set in. Did get it back though, less all the neat stuff. Latest is a 68 302 block that had all the machine work done and was .030 over. A fellow racer scattered his engine and was in a bind. Offered mine up for $50.00 to get him going again. He shows up to get the block and after loading says, can I catch you later? Well its been almost two years, he sold the car bought a new one and avoids me all the time. I think I will help myself to his battery charger or floor jack the next time I see him at the track. AT LEAST IM NOT BITTER!:D

Turnipseed likes this.
  16. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Go ahead HRP. Tell me all the reasons I shouldn't do it! Someone has to be the voice of reason around here.

17. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

I'd say go for it Tommyd I once sold my buddy a bike when I was around 15 there had been a lot of bikes getting stolen from around town and the bike I sold him had a nice set of wheels I carved my name into really small well a week goes by and I see a this boy younger than me with a pos bike with really nice wheels he cried as I took them off and told him to carry his pos bike home and tell his big brother where I was. His big brother still has the scar on his lip and is in and out of jail and the little one actually turned out allright. I figure I taught him a life lesson to not steal lol

18. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I remember that thread. Total hilarity.

19. 10 YEARS AGO, A GUY DELIVERED A '64 OLDS f-85 A DAY EARLY. I HAD NO ROOM IN THE GARAGE YET, SO I HAD TO LEAVE IT IN THE STREET OVERNIGHT.
    IT WAS REALLY CLEAN, BUT NO MOTOR/TRANS. IT WAS GONE THE NEXT MORNING.
    NEVER DID FIND IT.
    I STILL LOOK OVER EVERY ONE I SEE.

20. DFH-GMC

DFH-GMC
    from Texas

In the late 60s I had all my tools stolen.
    I was able to follow the trail of dropped tools down the alley behind my house the the thief's garage. Cops would not do anything about it because my tools were not identifiably mine.
    I called a few buddies and that night we "stole" them back.
    I spent the next week engraving my name in all of my tools

21. COOP

COOP

Back in '72 I had built a big block powered T bucket in my basement. Finally got it disassembled, upstairs, and back together. No garage at the time. Woke up one morning and found the car up on blocks with tires gone and dash torn to shit with no gauges. Called the state police. As they were checking out the car I noticed two medium sized marijuana plants in my wifes flowers waving at us. (threw the seeds in there as a joke and forgot 'em) Good news.... they didn't see the pot, bad news....... never heard from 'em again. Had an idea where they went, but couldn't prove it.

22. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

I had a 1947 Chrysler New Yorker ripped off that had a fresh 1969 383 /727 combo in it. I haven't seen it since 1984.

23. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

I hate thief's, I guess I am lucky and haven't lost any car parts. The only thing I lost was my virginity to Mrs. O'Keefe after cutting her lawn when I was a kid.

24. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

About ten years ago at the MOPAR Nats in Columbus, OH, I had a really nice, 10K mile, white '66 Belvedere II hardtop for sale in the car corral. After a tour of the swap area, I return to find my one year only mint original gas cap gone. The next day, I thought I saw my cap on a vendor's table. I swear it wasn't there the day before. When I asked the guy about the cap, he says he bought it from another vendor(?) walking around the area after the gates were closed. I told him it was probably mine, and stolen. He said he'd paid $100.00 for it (NOS was $350.00 at the time). He said he'd try to find the guy he'd bought it from, and then offered it to me for the $100.00. I bought it back and a $30.00 Stant cap from another vendor. The correct cap was never on the car again. I'd never had a problem with thieves before that.

25. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I had rented a storage locker at the local U-serve type storage complex. I should have known better from a previous experience at a different storage complex years earlier. In the latest "theft", they took a bunch of crap in boxes, AND my #1178 Casting 302, Z28, crankshaft. They probably did't even know what it was. It was one of the things that brought my "large journal", 265 out of a Canadian, 4 bolt, 305 block, to an end (a long story there). I don't even have an idea of what was in the boxes they took; I'm still seeing red over the crank though. NEVER again will I use a storage complex to store anything! And what's with the kids stealing the spring loaded, hood ornaments off of cars? Mine was on a 79 Buick Regal, station wagon (think Malibu); who steals a BUICK hood ornament? Butch/56sedandelivery.

26. grumpy32

grumpy32
    from Australia

I had my workshop cleaned out, most of my tools including custom made tools. I felt a little lucky cause tools I replaced over time, the reason I felt lucky is that I had my 30A highboy all ready to go for our local drags the night the bastards broke in, they didn't touch the roadster. Fast forward some years, I am in the Air Force and I am getting posted to a new base so our 32 highboy is on the transporter, it arrives OK only missing the Licence plate and plate frame, the frame was from Glendale speed centre, that pissed me off a little, I am still looking to get another pair of frames. Nothing of the scope of some of y'all, just sharing.....

27. A non hot rod but beautiful '70 Eldorado coupe. Silver, black leather factory installed bucket seats and a black vinyl roof with a real factory sliding sunroof,
    I have never seen another 1970 with the options that one had.
    I bought the car at noon time on a Friday. Drove back to work with it then got home with this gem by 6:00 PM.
    At 6:45 it was gone out of my driveway. Never saw the car again.
    I still miss it to this day!

28. Bubba1955

Bubba1955

^^^Wow!! I think the first thought in my head would be: " I wonder if the guy I bought that Eldo from had another set of keys...."

29. thunderplex

thunderplex

That's the first thing I thought too!!!