Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Nebraska Survivor Hot Rod - Model A Roadster Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jess, Jul 11, 2014.

1. jess

jess
    from Nebraska

Howdy, fellow HAMBers. My dad started work on a roadster build this last winter. So it’s time to blow the dust off my HAMB account and get to work showing his amazing progress.

We had hoped my dad would work on a hot rod of his own after he retired the Bonneville Streamliner in 2010. My ’33 5-window coupe received a 4-speed and my sister’s ’34 sedan was made road worthy to welcome home her newborn son. So after that and a ba-jillion house projects for all of his kids, including a three-stall garage in my back yard, he was more than ready for a full on build of his own.

This is what he hauled up from the barn last November…
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This roadster is an original surviving 1954 Hot Rod. It was built in Ashland, Nebraska, (a small town between Lincoln and Omaha.) The fellow was hurt in a motorcycle accident so he sold the car in 1958 to Frank Schaffer. Frank drove it to work everyday year round (in Nebraska!) until 1973, and then stored it in a barn in northern Nebraska.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the early 1980’s, his sons hauled it back to Lincoln and it was stored covered outside for many years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My dad brought the car home several years ago. Life was hectic. We were busy building my coupe and we were still racing the streamliner at Bonneville, so the roadster patiently waited in the barn.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bowie likes this.
  2. jess

jess
    from Nebraska

In November, Dad hauled it out of the barn with the tractor and cleared the dust away. He worked on it nearly every day from December 2013 to July 2014, with a goal of firing it up July 4th weekend.

Frank is now 89 and during the build his boys brought him out to the farm at least once a month to see the progress.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My dad had two goals:
    1. Take Frank for a ride in his old roadster.
    2. Take the roadster to the Hot Rod Hill Climb in Georgetown, Colorado, and drive it up Guanella Pass in September 2014.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  3. jess

jess
    from Nebraska

For the 1950’s it was nice. Flathead V-8, ‘40 Ford transmission with column shift, 1936 steering gear, ‘32 Ford axle, spindles and wishbones, hydraulic brakes, unique dash with what appears to be ‘32 speedo, e-brake lever under the dash, ‘40 ford radio and a gasoline after-market heater. He received the continental kit and complete top and side curtains, which are still folded in the attic.

[​IMG]

The boys thought the transmission was locked in gear... It actually had a stuck engine and the side shift 1940 Ford transmission linkage was messed up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. jess

jess
    from Nebraska

With Hot Rod Hill Climb on the brain, my dad decided this would be the proper place for a souped-up engine built by Dean Robertson, a mechanical wizard from South Dakota. Original but improved Crager head that dad bought in Milwaukee, B block and crank, aftermarket rods, Jim Brierley cam, Chevy pistons, Stipe flywheel, T-10 5-speed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A test fitting early on:
    [​IMG]

Another test fitting after the frame was painted:
    [​IMG]

Some work to the firewall:
    [​IMG]

Transmission fitting:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. jess

jess
    from Nebraska

Dad built the V-8 quick change (mostly spare parts and broken housing from the now retired Bonneville streamliner.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. jess

jess
    from Nebraska

Progress images on smaller items:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. jess

jess
    from Nebraska

He put two 6-volt Optima batteries under the floor accessible from underneath. And built an 11-gallon aluminum fuel tank on the other side of the drive shaft. He used an aluminum radiator from AFCO and changed the outlets to accommodate the B motor.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. jess

jess
    from Nebraska

In the words of a friend, “It’s only old once…” so the body will stay in this condition for the time being. There are a few body spots that need attention eventually. Under the cream paint (originally white house paint) there’s a grey layer and then the original black paint with a red pin stripe. The overall appearance may be an acquired taste, but it is a survivor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So working on it everyday (except a few days he was out of town) since December 2013, he started it up and drove it down the drive way for the first time on July 4th weekend. (No sound! Silly iphone!)
    [​IMG]

And a video from my first ride. You can sort of hear the engine under all the wind. We installed the windshield after this drive. We got a few bugs in our teeth, but we couldn’t help but smile.
    [​IMG]

There are a few more things to do, so check back!

9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Interesting build! A unique engine choice for sure!

10. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Like everything you've done so far

From Austinrod

11. Neat story, how cool is that

12. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Awesome, Jess! Great write-up and great progress. It's very cool to see that car back running and driving... I need to get down there sometime to visit again!

Malcolm

13. jess

jess
    from Nebraska

Thanks all!
    Yes, Malcolm! Anytime.

14. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

Love it! Can't wait to see it in person now that it's done.

15. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Great story and a very cool car. It is good to see these survivors coming back.

16. brady1929

brady1929

17. Wester

Wester

Looks like another road trip is in order. I was with Tom at inspection yesterday. He will be with the new Strasburg liner for the next three days. I don't think it would be too difficult to stuff him into a comfortable seat for the trip. Jim would probably come if we can find a place for Decker for the duration of the trip. John and Tim look like they are enjoying themselves.

18. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Cool car!
    Where did you get the long studs for the brake drum from?

19. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Salty roadster 2.jpg Cragar OHV 4 banger and T-5 very cool..... Looks like mine but with more paint

jess and general gow like this.
  20. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Great engine! Super cool car, Jess. I bet your dad is gonna have a ball with it. Especially at the Hot Rod Hillclimb!

21. gonzo

gonzo

Great story

22. Roadsir

Roadsir

Yes, neat story, cool little car.

23. flamingokid

flamingokid

Nice car and GBR ;)

24. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

That is so cool. Did Frank get a ride?
    Can't wait to see that little gem carve up the mountain!

25. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

What a nice build!

I Really liked the Three in the three, and the Flathead.
    But what a awesome mill.
    Did you keep the heather?

Is there a plan for re-painting the body? Or will it be another colour?

I like the almost Anderegg yellow, or was it Tony Danza yellow.
    And last is also a nice colour, but the Anderegg is more cool, although i belive it's primer.

26. Nice pictures - I did notice on the roll around that can of Mountain Dew - dead giveaway someone was working late at night....?

27. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

The Cragar OHV is Cool, great Roadster and Story, look forward to a vid of Frank getting his ride in his old Roadster.

28. BurnoutNova

BurnoutNova
    from USA

This is so cool. I had no idea you guys were building this!