Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chevy 1954 235 electric radiator fan question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by abakerman, Jul 10, 2014.

1. abakerman

abakerman

Hi all, I just picked up a 1954 Chevy with a 235 in it. The previous owner installed a new aluminum radiator, but he wired up the electric fan all wrong. I have disconnected it, and now I'm wondering if I even need it. The radiaotr measures 21x22, and looks close to the stock size one (see photos). What do you all think, do I need the electric fan? And if so, anyone know how it should be wired so that it is off when the car is off. I have a 40 amp relay with four connectors (30,85,86, and 87) Not quite sure which wires go where? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Looks pretty tight in there, will a mechanical fan even fit?

3. abakerman

abakerman

Sorry bad photo, the original mechanical fan is still there. Think that is enough?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

No need for the electric fan that I can see, especially w a brand new radiator. Take it off and watch gour guages to see if all is well. Some folks just add things because they saw somebody else doing it..

5. belair

belair

Just run the mechanical fan.

6. abakerman

abakerman

Thanks guys! I'll see how it goes with just the mechanical fan and watch the gauges.

7. I guess I'm blind I don't see a mechanical fan. HRP

[​IMG]

8. Thank you, I thought I was also.

9. abakerman

abakerman

Well, don't I feel like a moron...yeah the post is there but no fan!!! Ha! Just noticed that...So, crap, back to the electric fan idea. Or try and cram a fan blade in there. Which yeah it's tight and probably why he put in the elec fan....geez I feel dumb....

10. You have plenty of room for a fan..I used this one from Summit on all 3 of my cars. HRP

[​IMG]

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Because it's spinning so damn fast!

33sporttruck likes this.
  12. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Have the same one on my '57, car runs 180 on a 180 thermostat, and doesn't tax my charging system!
    KK

13. Is the radiator further back than a stock one? Either from core thickness or mounting. That may be the reason for the electric fan.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  14. Fred,you are on top of your game today! icon_lol.gif HRP

15. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Fan quandary aside it appears you're missing a hood latch panel and without it either fan will be sucking (or pushing) hot underhood air through your radiator.

16. abakerman

abakerman

Since I've already proven myself dumb (see above). Don't the hood latch panels usually only go on trucks? I can't remember seeing one on a car, but I have seen them on trucks.

17. 24riverview

24riverview

18. gas pumper

gas pumper

There's a pieceon the hood that seals the top of the radiator on a stock one.

Stock fan is kinda usless. Mine would run real hot parked or stuck in traffic. The only way to cool it down was to go over 30 miles per hour. There was no shroud on stock 54's. Maybe one would help.

Stock fan is also real small, different than later 6's with the newer water pump. 54 also ran the fan real fast, look at the small pulley. A modern fan of that pulley will go really fast and maybe not survive.

19. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Ditch the electric fan. But add the latch panel back on, it serves a purpose in the cooling system. As does the lower valence.

Oh, and make sure that your lower radiator hose isn't collapsing do to suction pressure. The old hoses need a viable internal spring to prevent this. Without it, the truck will overheat at revs.

20. abakerman

abakerman

Ok last dumb question ( for now) if I go back to a mechanical fan, do I get the clockwise or counterclockwise for a 235? Or how can I determine which one is right?

21. Just a mechanical fan,,54 Chevy 235's were around many years before reverse flow water pumps. HRP