Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical such thing as a 392 hemi industrial?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemi rodder, Jul 10, 2014.

1. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

have a line on a early hemi, did not see it in person, guy says it is a 392 hemi industrial , it has the ind. covers. I am under the impression that there was no 392 ind, am I right?

2. elba

elba

The airlines had ground power electrical units powered by chys hemis. The bell housing areas were cast differently than the auto versions as I recall. I do not know if they were 354 or 392. Looked like an auto tranny would not fit.

3. George

George

NO! All 392s were originally car engines. Valve covers interchange so they are used with adj rockers, though the Ind engines didn't have them. If you're looking to buy an engine post the use code, it's on a flat in front of the valley pan, or should be.

HEMI32 and Jeff Norwell like this.
  4. madmak95

madmak95

2012-03-03_14-20-11_991~01.jpg

Mine is from a 28volt dc aircraft generator . Its a 331ci long bell.

LOU WELLS and ridgy didge like this.

5. Big Daddy Don Garlits has an air raid siren in his museum that I believe is powered by a 392 hemi (industrial engine??)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

51 BIRD likes this.
  6. George

George

You can put a car 392 into anything, Garlitz doesn't have any problems finding one for a project.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Have heard of 392 hemi industrial engines powering oil drilling rigs and irrigation pumps but have never seen one.

8. The story goes that it came off the roof of a building in Miami-Don was given the opportunity to retrieve it and hired the crane to get it down- brought it home and restored it

51 BIRD likes this.
  9. Have seen many.
    Would like one for myself. It's on the bucket list.

10. George

George

That because most people have never heard of anything but a 392. Most "392"s turn out to be 331s, 354s, DeSotos, Dodges, even wedge engines. The concept that 392s are car engines shouldn't be too hard for people to grasp.

30dodgeboy, weps, Just Gary and 3 others like this.
  11. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

My situation is similar to yours, Hemi Rodder... I scored a 392 Hemi but it wears "Chrysler Marine" covers.

I ran the numbers and it was a real-deal 375 hp version which also explained the factory 2x4 intake and adjustable rockers.

Looking at the various sources of production numbers clearly shows that no 392s ever were built for Marine and Industrial. Didn't stop people from re-purposing them.

30dodgeboy likes this.
  12. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
    mgtstumpy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Don't care if its 331, 345, or 392!!! They were Bad ASS.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

mgtstumpy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

The Chrysler Air Raid Siren remains the loudest siren ever produced. Its remarkable specifications include a compressor discharge volume of 2,600 cubic feet per minute at 7 psi and a residential coverage area of approximately 16 square miles. In comparison, the electric sirens commonly used today for tornado and tsunami warnings can alert about four square miles.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130808/carnews01/130809890#ixzz377dj6JBk
    Follow us: @AutoweekUSA on Twitter | AutoweekUSA on Facebook

15. mickeyc

mickeyc

I have a 331 short bell industrial hemi that came from the New Orleans airport. It was used to power aircraft sitting on the tarmac. It has a unique distributor driven oil restrictor system still on it that works well. Its a shame that there seems to be little interest in restoration of an engine system like this. The guy I got it from used the generator to power up his home as well as several others after a hurricane with a larger diesel power plant in place of the hemi

16. There you go- I stand corrected -not a 392 but cool just the same-would not have wanted to hear that go off" back in the day"

51 BIRD likes this.
  17. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I did a quick search and it appears the biggest early hemi industrial engine was the 354. This makes their performance all the more impressive.

18. gatz

gatz

The 331 Industrial that I bought did not have the number in the "usual" place; rather, it was stamped on the very front of the block on the left (driver's) side....not very deep either.

331 ID number Location_1.JPG

...musta been a Monday morning on the assembly line 331 HEMI sn 6714561_1.JPG

I then stamped the number into the block on top at the front in the "usual" location.

It was "in pieces" when I got it along with the Chrysler Industrial valve covers and there is no reason to suspect they were not original to it. These Industrial engines were frequently used for irrigation pumps in the midwest.
    There was a cattle feeder near us that used one to irrigate corn. Un-muffled, they sure were loud.
    Another person had a wood-chipping facility that used this type of engine for power.

This is not a long-block engine; I believe it is a '56. Paint scheme is preliminary.... trying to figure out a way to silk-screen (?) the "Chrysler Industrial" black also.

331 HEMI Chrysler Industrial valve cover_2.JPG

19. loudbang

loudbang

If the area of the letter is flat or just barley curved cut a chunk of cardboard wide and deep enough to cover the lettering tape of the rest but no need to cover everything just to prevent slop.

Now grab some spray bomb paint of the color you want and spray a nice WET coat onto the cardboard. Then carefully either place the valve cover onto the wet paint if the area is flat and presto paint on the raised lettering.

If it is slightly curved do the opposite and after checking to maker sure the paint is not dripping put the painted side of the cardboard down onto the lettering CAREFULLY and them lift it off.

A small paint brush can be used to fill in any spots not completely covered.

30dodgeboy likes this.
  20. George

George

Yes, some truck engines have use codes there, 1st report I've seen of an IND having one there. I have a block with random numbers scattered in that location.

21. gatz

gatz

Was thinking along those lines
    Have some surplus treadmill track that I've glued/attached to a narrow board. Going to try using that, but have to keep it from smearing as it's applied.

22. Every early hemi is a 392 according to some folks much like every SBC is from a corvette. Even some desoto and dodge engines are 392s and then there are those long bell 392 hemis.

True industrial engines have their own oddities and remedies. I suppose anyone with a broken industrial engine could have replaced it with an engine from a junkyard and that could have been a 392 car engine. Numbers will tell you what it is, people can make up a cool story to explain how it got there and so could you.

23. hemi rodder

hemi rodder
    from NB Canada

the price he is asking is on the high end for a 392, 331 or 354 should be at least half or less, he is supost to look for numbers for me.

24. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Many years ago I saw a Hemi with 2-4s powering a T-bar at a ski slope. That would have made the trip up more exciting than the trip down. Reading this info it was probably a car engine re-purposed. Kind of like Merlin and Allison v-12s running irrigation pumps in the 50s, if we only knew then what we know now.

25. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

How to hi light the lettering on a valve cover, license plate etc.

Spray paint the lettering color, paint the whole item with a good thick coat of paint.

Spray 1 or 2 thin coats of the background color, just enough to cover.

When it is good and dry rub off the background color from the letters using rubbing compound. It is easy to follow the shape of the letters with your finger.

You can also try rubbing the paint off when it is wet using a rag, dampened with reducer, wrapped tight around a finger tip. But, it is easy to mess up the fresh paint. If you have steady hands you might remove most of the paint with a quick wipe, come back after it is dry and detail it.

26. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It is possible some industrial engines were supplied with NO serial number, so the user could stamp his own number. I ran into this once with a Bombardier snowmobile with a Chrysler Industrial flathead six. The serial number did not match the Chrysler system. Bombardier could have ground off the original number then restamped it, but I doubt it.

27. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

The tag on the engine should tell you. 56, 56a, etc. I have four industrials, three 331s and a 354. No 392 industrials unless it was swapped for a passenger car engine. But as others have stated, everyone has a "392".

28. loudbang

loudbang

Yea it takes a steady hand and a lot of looking and checking with the dry cardboard before paint is applied. Try and get everything set go straight at it and try not to wiggle too much. :)

Some people have had good results using a small roller.

hotrodtom likes this.
  29. hotrodtom

hotrodtom

Go to an art supply store and ask for a small rubber roller called a brayer. Works well for transferring ink, paint, etc to a raised surface like a license plate or Hemi valve cover.
    Fearless

colinsmithson and loudbang like this.
  30. 73RR

73RR

Chrysler sold tens-of-thousands of engines across the parts counter and NONE of them had any codes stamped into the block. It was up to the mechanic to reproduce the numbers if the vehicle title used the engine code for a serial number, which in many states was the rule.
    ID codes on my website.