Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Throatless Shears

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gow589gow, Jul 10, 2014.

1. gow589gow

gow589gow
    from Indiana

I do a lot of metal work. I have always thought I should get a throatless shear. I would like some feedback on different brands, Eastwood, Woodward, etc., what you like what you don't.

2. 1934coupe

1934coupe

My personal belief is to buy the best (as I see it) That said I would only buy a Beverly, If I can't afford a new one I believe a used one is better than sending my money to China. I have also bought used Niagra, Pexto, Southbend and Bridgeport and all were less money than a new Chinese made harbor freight. Just my opinion.

Pat

lawman likes this.
  3. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

I second the beverly. When I first started in the sheet metal trade in 1973 the beverly was one of the most common tools alongside the brake. Cut my first compound transistion out of 14 ga stainless with one and it went pretty darn smooth

lawman likes this.
  4. gow589gow

gow589gow
    from Indiana

Is there much of a difference between the B-1 and the B-2?

5. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I don't have one, but the guy I took a sheetmetal class from said this was one of a few tools that you could get away with buying the cheapo HF version of and be just fine. Given the choice between HF, Eastwood or Woodward, I'd say buy whichever one is cheapest.

Personally, and for the little extra scratch over a HF throatless, I'm leaning toward the Baleigh MPS-3 Rotary shear. Baleigh is also an Alliance Vendor.

6. gow589gow

gow589gow
    from Indiana

I can see doing some things out of the normal car hobby stuff...along with a bit of car stuff. We actually have a laser shop here so small quick jobs are common. In that text, I think I want to get something which will hold up and cut well.

7. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife and I both use the Harbor Freight model and it seems to be working just fine. I have never used any other so have nothing to compare it to. The only maintenance has been to put in new cutting jaws since we damaged the original. She does metal sculpture and has actually used it a lot more than I and I've gotten no complaints (other than when the jaws need replacement)

8. size

lawman likes this.
  9. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

I concur with those who said Beverly.

I have a B-1 and love it!

The "Beverly Shear" guy used to be on the H.A.M.B. pretty regular a few years back.
    Wonder what happened with him?
    He had mentioned at one time of giving HAMB'rs a decent break on the purchase of one, and also on blade sharpening for the same, ( which mine could use!).

lawman likes this.
  10. IronTrap

IronTrap

We're also an alliance member as well if anyone decides on an Eastwood shear. I beat the hell out of my one in the shop here at work and my one at home and other than having to tune it up out of the box they work damn well for the price point (but a vintage Beverly would be nice to have at home for nostalgia purposes!).

11. linechaser32

linechaser32
    from Iowa

Woodward Fab is junk.

12. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I have a Woodward straight shear and the rotary shear. I've had no complaints with them but I don't cut much thicker than 16 ga. With them.

13. chevyburb

chevyburb

I have a small hotrod shop for mine and friends use so the volume isn't high. I bought a HF open shear after being forwarned about some issues. We cut mostly 18ga. and it has worked fine. We had to shim some sloppy gaps for the handle but it works. Somewhere I found an article on hardening the cutters, but I haven't done that yet.

14. finn

finn

I have a HF, but if anyone wants to sell me their Beverly for what I paid for the HF (about 10 years ago), I'll take them up on it.

I don't think I've ever seen a good, useable Beverly for sale at a descent price. The HF works fine for a hobby shop.

15. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Anyone know where to get the Beverly blades sharpened?
    Other times that I've "Google'd" it, I always get Vic Irvan Enterprises for buying new blades.

16. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Love my Beverly, got it used, and it's perfect, probably 30+ years old.

lawman likes this.
  17. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Beverly I have a B-1 & B-3, but I think a B-2 is the most common.

18. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I have had good luck with the HF shear. I am not a big fan of HF stuff but this is one purchase that has worked out well. I have been using it for three or four years and have not had to replace the jaws yet.

19. fatkoop

fatkoop

I've used my B1 for about 25 years and never had to sharpen or adjust it. I'd say I probably got my $30 worth. ( I bought it at a auction) One of my favorite tools.

lawman likes this.
  20. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

I have a Beverly B2 and I am very happy with it. I do have a few HF tools, but when I use them my Beverly shear laughs at me... It's embarrassing.
    Seriously if you plan to use it a lot or own it a life time don't cheap out. You get what you pay for.

stealthcruiser likes this.
  21. I have aB2 Got it used about 25 years ago my buddy sharpened the blades tuned it up still works fine. I love it.

22. the violator

the violator

I bought a used beverly b2 about 20 years ago. The thing is great, i find myself using it a lot more than my plasma cutter. I have a few harbor freight tools but i don't think i would buy large equipment from them.

lawman likes this.
  23. I'm using a HF shear. Working well for me.

24. ryno

ryno

I have a baileigh unit. Works great,give Shane a call he's a good dude.

25. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Industrial auctions and dispersal sales of companies going out of business are a great source of used high quality tools. It pays to check the listings often.

26. find one you can try out as they are all very different! i have seen top end ones not maintained operate poorly. a simple cleaning makes huge difference.