Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot Rodded model A fordors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D.SCOTT, Jul 10, 2014.

1. D.SCOTT

D.SCOTT

Anyone on here have a traditionally hot rodded model A Fordor? And/or willing to share pics of ones from the past? Just bought a 31 slant window, and I'm about to take on the challenge of making one of these look good, any pics would be greatly appreciated, especially ones with fenders. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

scan0001.jpg scan0002.jpg scan0003.jpg Hey from across the street Dan'l!

These seemed to go through a little popularity surge in the early sixties, so the couple I could put my hands on quickly were reprinted from a couple of Peterson one shots. The Feature of Noel DiVito's car is from the '62 Hot Rod annual, the red cover car and insert with the hopped four banger is from the Model "A" handbook from about the same time. The last little bit is Noel's car with a MUCH Improved stance and wheel and tire combo from the same book.

I can think of a few more in early Popular Hot Rodding magazines, and a couple in Peterson stuff too. One is the car that Hot Rod Ron sent you, and I'm not too absolutely unsure that isn't what Noel Divito's car became by the mid sixties. You are welcome to drive that treacherous six blocks between our homes and dig a bit if you would like...

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Seriously dig the the six pipe cheaters on Noel's car!

One of these cars back then, and it might have been the wjite one Matt posted, had the most bazar feature I can think of on a show car... Tiled floors! they literally masticed, tiled, and grouted the floors of the thing! Weird, but kinda cool in a total one-upmanship kinda way!

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Tiled floors...coving...LOL. Chip...Look at the difference with the back of Noel's sedan dropped some.

Recall the 'look' of full fendered '29 roadster pickups thru the mid-'50s? There were some featured that had the rears dropped (Z'd frames) until the fenders just radiused the 8.20 X 15 tires perfectly.
    Fronts were usually 'dagoed' 3.5" - 4", remember 5.50 X 15 fronts?
    VW spares, and they were free!

7. D.SCOTT

D.SCOTT

Alright! Thanks guys! Keep em coming!

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya know what's funny, Mike? Look at the feature at the top of Noel's car, and you'll notice the small block chevy. This was in the '62 Annual, so it ran in '61 sometime. Look at the quick one shot below with the better stance and wheels and tires.... Notice the white interior? Notice the flathead?

I'm not sure of the publication date of the Model "A" handbook, but I thought it was about '63 or so - though it might be '59 or '60. That leaves the question, was the car blessed with an absolutely to die for stance, tire and wheel combo and flathead first, then "updated" to the small block Chevy, weird tires and wheels and black and red interior, or was it the other way 'round? Guess I'll have to dig through my early copies and find the ad for the Model "A" handbook to find this out...

Why would someone have pulled out a Chevy and put a flathead in something in the early sixties? Why would someone have killed that awesome stance for four equally sized tires on a show car?

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

That had me going too, Chip. If you can figure it out, please mention it!

Along those likes...Remember Joe Cruces' '21 Model T Coupe? Famous show car, HRM cover...Joe's beautiful blond wife posing in black bathing suit and long white men's dress shirt...and the black stiletto heels?
    Hmmph...Sorry, the memory took over... Coupe had a flathead in it for a few years...then got an equally detailed 283 Chev, some more magazine coverage...then the flathead was back in there!
    I think I read on the HAMB the car got sold finally, Joe had it in a tiny shed, rusty and dirty...
    Must be some more to both these stories!
    Thanks

10. D.SCOTT

D.SCOTT

11. I really liked this beauty at the LARS this year.

Mick DSCF0854.JPG

12. IMHO...Get rid of the wind wings and step plates and this Model A would be perfect. HRP

[​IMG]

Dago 88 likes this.
  13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

That thing is a sweetheart all the way round. the multi pipes are a great way to build an exhaust system that looks early sixties cool, is period correct, but flows like a good modern system.

[​IMG]

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Looked at both sets of photos, caption screw-up and they are not the same car. Check the plates...

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I pretty much came to the same conclusion the other day and just didn't get back on to post that. In the One-Shots especially, that seemed to happen a bunch. I did notice the other day that Noel's car was a Briggs, and the mystery car is a Murray... I can't remember seeing the other car anywhere else in Peterson stuff though. God, it's as good as it gets though!

16. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    George Lang's Cad powered A Town Sedan. Built in the 60's. Received a blower after this shot and was a local triple threat.

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The article also says the rear fenders are bobbed, they aint.

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  20. jr9162

jr9162

Would love to have a 31 slant window Fordor

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Wonder what this would look like with a mild top chop? Bob [​IMG]

22. Here is a few pics of mine 1930 model A with a 3" chop check out my build

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

One more. Must be the one Chip mentioned with the mosaic tile floor.

Car Craft, Aug. '64.
    001.jpg 004.jpg

drdave likes this.
  24. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you hold an envelope over that grille it isn't that bad. Bob

25. Collin Benoit

Collin Benoit

Here’s one I am in the process of getting together. 392B18D9-4FC3-42A4-8BB8-9626603731AD.jpeg

hotrodjack33, drdave, A Boner and 3 others like this.
  26. Old thread I didn't know was here, but since it's come back up, here's mine. Not exaaaactly hot rod yet....mostly stance rod. LOL But, plans are to hop up the banger a bit eventually.

IMG_0696.jpg

27. notaford1

notaford1
    from webster ny

My everyday (nice weather no snow) ride. In 29 dodge only offered a 4 door sedan. A 2 door was a shortened Vicky style body. Sorry not a model A but felt other brands needed equal time 038F6B2F-D127-4497-8EC4-CE06C03DFB7F.jpeg

hotrodjack33 and drdave like this.
  28. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Didn't know about this thread either. Built my old Sedan Deliv. from a '31 Slantwindow Fordor.
    0.93.jpg 0.92.jpg 0.91.jpg

drdave likes this.