Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Hitchhikers Guide Episode VI: Return of the Hitchhiker.... Hot Rod Model A banger

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hitchhiker, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Have an adult beverage & go to bed...you're over thinking it; looks fantastic from here!

2. Thanks!

I know, it's just the ocd kicking in.....thanks!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Any thoughts on what fluids to use in everything? Brand and weight? for my 1939 toploader and 53 f100 steering box.

4. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Really interested to see what kind of responses you get. In the Model A club there is always a lively discussion on this very subject. I feel any modern lube that fits the climate is appropriate. The argument goes that you need the "old" stuff like the 600W that the Ford stores sell. I use 85W90 in the rears on the Model A and the pickup, same in the steering. 140 weight in the Model A trans. I always ask if anybody has experienced a failure using "modern" lubes. Blank stares.

5. Yeah, it is a controversial topic in the Model A world. I tend to err on the side of caution; the straight-cut gears in the A transmission need an oil that clings to (and cushions) the gears - modern 'hypoid' gear oil doesn't. Besides, Mobil 600w (ISO 680) is still available.

That being said, I believe Ford called for SAE 250 (summer) and SAE 110 in winter beginning in 1932. Maybe someone else will chime in with some real-world experience...

6. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

I ended up using redline "Heavy Shock Proof Gear Oil" in my tranny and rear end. It is a sticky, stinky, 250-viscosity gear-oil made for strait-cut gears. I was turned onto it back when I was dreaming of quick-changes. It seems to hold up well, and is almost certainly overkill...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  7. Hitchhiker and gwhite like this.
  8. I got the spring back..... Pushed it outside so I could look at it and clean up underneath.

I need to do the brake lines, Master cylinder mount, the rest of the brakes, drag link, floors, lights, and wire the fuel pump and distributor.

Hope fully won't be long now.

What do you guys think?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

sko_ford likes this.
  9. Autodave

Autodave
    from Menifee,Ca

Looks awesome! I'm following on IG, but it's nice to see the bigger pic's

snot275 and Hitchhiker like this.
  10. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I love it.. I know paint isn't in the works any time soon, but do you plan on it at some point in the future?

I think a brush-paint job with a color other than black would rule. Flat black doesn't do this pick-up justice.

11. That's a good question Matt....I do want to paint it at some point in the future. I'm just not sure when. I think it would be benficial for a few reasons, but manly, I want it to look better, the flat black doesn't do it justice. Two, I want to protect it from the weather. I'm 99% sure I will brush paint it if I do...

As far as color, I don't know. I don't want to straighten it out or remove the welds from the fenders as it has a beautiful patina. Don't get me wrong, I love a nice painted vehicle. I just plan on running this thing alot, and feel safer with a cheap paint job i won't care as much about. Plus it would end up so full of filler I couldn't live with myself. I just feel it wouldn't be honest to what it is. In person, you can see the incredible amount of work done by this truck over the years. It was used, but not abused. It does have have one spot on a fender that may be original black paint. I wish the whole truck looked like it. Glossier black is definitely in the running.

I kinda like @Chris 's trucks color green or maybe a darker blue and black fenders. Red maybe? All one color? maybe a forest green. not sure....I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any.

12. I'm following on IG as well! I love what you've done to the truck....it's dead nuts the way I want to go with my Tudor! I picked up my MC yesterday and I found a guy close that will drop one of my axles for me! Way behind you, butr i'm gonna get there!

As far as color, when (if) I paint mine, it's going to be a dark blood red (oxblood, maybe).....

13. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

The truck sits great now, Matt.

As for paint, I really like the dark green on Model A trucks. It just seems like such a 'utilitarian' color...

Posted using my Lil' Orphan Annie Secret Society Decoder Pin

14. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Something like this...
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1403791003.450779.jpg

15. I just see this truck with darker colours. I feel it fits the build and stance more so than a red would. If it were mine, I'd be painting it a darker green with black fenders.

Love this build. The truck looks so tough!

16. Your Tudor set up like this would rock...especially in oxblood.

I'm saving that color palate for a different car I have in my head....someday...

Yes dude! I love that color. Definitely a possibility. Thanks!

Thanks dude. I definitely am leaning more towards darker colors. Its darkwr had been the plan all along. There has just been a red truck with black fenders floating around IG and I really liked it. I'll tag you in a picture of it.

17. A couple things going on....

I'm currently waiting on a new brake line flaring tool. In the mean time I decided to clean all the grease off the rear end, paint it, etc. You get a pretty good view of the rear spring here. It's 7 leaves with a reverse eye main.

Once the brakes are done it's go time.

Also I sold the F1....

And here is a load of parts I saved yesterday from the scrap man.

1932 rear end with juice brakes.
    1940 rear with 16x5.5 rims
    3 17 inch wires.
    1 16 inch Kelsey Hayes
    1 16 inch solid
    a bunch of wishbones
    a few torque tubes( one has been shortened a lonf time ago to AV8 range.)
    1 1956 chevy rear end housing.
    and some misc...

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Love these two pics, great stance, and love the banger

[​IMG] [​IMG] [/QUOTE]

19. Winzy

Winzy

Great thread getting lots of inspiration to get my pickup fin would kill for one of those winfield heads

Hitchhiker likes this.
  20. I haven't done a damn thing to the truck.....Just been rescuing strays....

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

21. Guess that makes you king of neat ol' Ford parts in the Puget Sound area.
    That Swenson has been a "bad" influence on you.;)

Speedy Canuck likes this.
  22. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Pickup is looking good not far to go now
    nice collection of parts are they for the next projects ?

23. I've definitely been influenced by @Chris A lot.

Thanks, I'm gonna buckle down and finish it real soon, but I've got to get the rest of the new collection moved.

As far as plans for the parts, it's all gonna be for sale.

I'm choice picking a few parts for myself but nothing special.

The joke is i bought an entire collection to get a round speedo...

I basically the story is, I bought a barn full, so far I have a very nice complete 29 truck with title, A nice 29 AA with title but on an A frame. Another roller 29 truck, another 29 truck with t bed body, and a 29 tudor with title

And of course many misc. Parts.

Keep an eye on the classifieds if you need a project...

24. You may want to get an ad up in the next day or two. MAFCA meet is this week at Puyallup..........just might be some buyers shopping...............

Hitchhiker likes this.
  25. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Wow Matt. I am intrigued. We may need to connect off-line, as I need a body for my extra chassis...

26. Definitely gonna try.

You know where to find me...:D

27. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

Man this truck is looking sweet!

Hitchhiker likes this.
  28. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

How's it going? Any recent updates? I saw some of your extra stuff on CL the other day. Any luck?

29. Haven't touched it in over a month. I'm hoping to get back on it soon.

I just need to sell some shit....:D