Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My New Project: 1956 Cadillac Sedan Deville Resurrection Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chstitans42, Sep 26, 2013.

1. loudbang

loudbang

Screw the naysayers do it your way. One criticism what the heck is the banging noise going on in this video?

2. chstitans42

chstitans42

We had an ice storm, and yesterday it all began to melt. That noise is water dripping off one rain gutter into another. Sorry about it but since it was two stories up I couldnt figure out how to stop it or edit it out

3. i hear ya on the people that say money pit...and i will tell you today was one of those times when you add up all that has to be done to even drive the damn thing and your heart goes ahhhhhh,,,that was me today...but we just keep plugging along and soon we will have a daily driver thats reliable and we know inside and out and can up keep it ourselves and not having to pop in a shop like the newer cars and have to trust the person there to tell us the truth...i think once the main push is through its just upkeep over the years..and a whole less a year than making a car payment...just got to keep going..one peice one project at a time..and hell its fun doing it...we would spend money doing something else anyways...my wife likes it cuz she know where i am and im home...i say enjoy the time and the here and now and baby step it till one day its done and you look back and laugh and have good stories and horror stories..but non the less memories and something to show for it...a notch in your belt..a true motorhead..not a poser...thats all i have to say...nice job keep going

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  4. chstitans42

chstitans42

I have seen many of these... wait, that is about 99% of guys my age (25) now a days...But you are right, just have to keep plugging away.

5. Attached Files:

• th.jpg
      th.jpg
      File size:
      13.5 KB
      Views:
  6. chstitans42

chstitans42

I pulled the drums off the car to check the brakes and see what I was going to have to work with, and the only thing that bothered me is this driver's side spindle. These marks catch my fingernail when moved across them. Should I replace it? or do you think I can get by using this spindle?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. philo426

philo426

New spindle might be a safer choice.

8. Tantank49

Tantank49
    from 61401

9. chstitans42

chstitans42

10. No motor yet? I guess he's carving you a new block by hand...

11. chstitans42

chstitans42

I have checked up on him like every two weeks since November... He is working on it but is soooooo buried in other work it is taking him forever. I dont know why people dont just finish the stuff as they get it in.

12. I've learned that there are great people in the world, great mechanics, contractors,etc.. but some of those well-meaning people are horrible businessmen.

Unfortunately, you probably need to start calling him everyday.

13. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I feel for you and hope you have not paid him in full...!!!

Remind him of how long he's had it...did he write any kind of 'finish' date down on your "estimate"...???

Unfortunately, he, and most of the rest of the world seem to think that you CANNOT find someone else to do that kind of specialty work, they are wrong of course...and I doubt you'd ever recommend him to any of your friends...!!!

R-

14. chstitans42

chstitans42

You are right, I really wouldn't. Unless they are fine with a half a year long build.

15. vince89

vince89

nice car and a good one too. a great find

16. chstitans42

chstitans42

17. just went through the entire thread.. great to see you back in action man!! i was so sad when you sold the chevy, now i realize it was only to buy a better looking car!

sure its a money pit, but as long as its one you enjoy throwing money into, then its fine. your vids are simply the best, they always give me loads of motivation for my truck.

good to see you back in action, keep on truckin' man!:cool:

18. chstitans42

chstitans42

Man I was sad when the Chevy got sold too. I actually still regret it. BUT to me, the number one car from the 50s in my eyes is a Cadillac, and the 1956 year is my favorite. Most people wouldnt restore a Sedan DeVille, but hey, Its got dual carbs, who cares how many doors it has. Talk about an unusual grocery getter!

19. exactly. if youre gonna get a caddy.. go big or go home. the more doors, the better!

20. chstitans42

chstitans42

Since I had sourced out already all the brake parts, I decided to get the brake MC and booster done by a guy local to me named Jose Gomez, a member of the Mid-Century Cadillac Forum, and fellow dfw 1956 Cadillac owner. Here is his peliminary report. Pics to come.

Good news, so-so news and bad news…!

The good news, the unit arrived intact. The rubber gasket for the air cleaner is cracked at both side center, this is about normal for all the units I worked on. The air filter would be clean and the same one put back.The inside of the M/C was in good shape picture, although you know the cap is the wrong one. Just a pointer..!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The so-so news;

The booster front power piston plate look in good shape the air hose is also in good shape. Now the power piston lather band is in real bad shape, not sure if it could be salvageable, gunk on the back face of the band and at the rear of the power piston.
    The inside of the booster looked ok, just a bit dirty and small area with corrosion, it could be cleaned and rust honed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The bad news (??? It could changed once I open the M/C)

The M/C is in bad shape the rear nut has some rust (ignored the rag had to cover the hole due to brake fluid leaking). You can also see it on the back of the booster were the M/C bolts on with the rust.
    [​IMG]
    These are so far the preliminary steps I’ve done on the disassembly.

One note the brake fluid inside the M/C was real bad, black and with gunk. With that in mind there is a possibility the inside of the M/C may have more corrosion. I hope that none of the items on the attached drawing 28, 29, 30, 31, 33 are in fair shape to be clean and de-rust.

I’ll be disassembling the M/C tomorrow and see the condition of these pieces, more to follow.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  21. chstitans42

chstitans42

Another update from Jose!

[FONT=&quot]Took the M/C apart today and although it had a lot of corrosion and gunk inside I was able to clean and bead blaster it with good results. The parts I was concerned about yesterday were in good shape.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Lots of cleaning on both the M/C and the booster canister, both got painted semi gloss black on one side waiting for it to dry to get the rest. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The vacuum valve rubber valve was in good shape, clean and tested good.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Not much beside the disassembling, cleaning and painting.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I will try to get the M/C hopefully today if not maybe tomorrow. As for the power piston that one will be tackled once everything is back on the M/C, so more to come.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. chstitans42

chstitans42

23. royalbopper

royalbopper
    from Sweden

I think i got mine from CaddyDaddy.com

Sigge!

24. Kanter Auto Parts also list complete kits, not sure if they can sell individual gaskets.

Bill

25. txturbo

txturbo

Kanter also does complete restoration of the booster/MC. Well....they actually have it done by Midwest Booster. They did mine.

26. froghawk

froghawk

27. chstitans42

chstitans42

28. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Cadillacs and Corvettes mean high prices...for EVERYTHING...!!! Now you know why Chevys and Fords are so popular...!!!

R-

29. chstitans42

chstitans42