Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Zinc in oil ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by da dodge brother, Jul 8, 2014.

1. I use Valvoline Racing. Have been for many years. It comes in the heavier weight that I like to use. 20/50, 40 and 50. Never had an oil related problem and I twist the hell out of my motors.

2. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

I bought this Quaker State oil for my Acadian at Canadian Tire. I know Walmart carries it as well but I try and not buy from them. Says right on the front it has Zinc in it.

Attached Files:

Graystoke likes this.
  3. Lots of good info in this thread.
    But why worry, your truck just needs to make 16 round trip to get a 50 merc then it can die. Fuckit run the cheapest shit you can find

4. Gman0046

Gman0046

dom, yours is the best post yet, I agree totally. Some folks just don't get it and never will. Trust me, I'm done commenting on this subject.

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

BP is pretty easy to find. Just go to their web site and do a search for dealers. I had no idea where to find it, and did the search. I found three dealers close by. All varied from a low of $70 a case to $75. Normally oil changes aren't an emergency where you need it today, so when I get low I get another case for the next change. If it was parts that I needed ASAP, then I can't be so picky, and get them wherever I can.

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yeah, my local Autozone carries VR1. Problem is I could buy regular oil, add a bottle of zinc, and still be cheaper. It's $10 a quart at Autozone, not the $6.25 a qt. I pay for Brad Penn.

7. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

Does anyone use the Accel brand that I posted???

8. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I use the VR1 in my cars. Never have ran the additive, maybe I'll give it a try? I've never had an issue though... Frequent changes is key.

9. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

VR-1 racing oil (not synthetic) ranges from $4.59 to $6.19 in my area Advanced Auto/AutoZone/NAPA/O'Reilly stores, and less than $4.00 when on sale.

10. alchemy

alchemy

I use VR-1 and Rotella T. I bought VR-1 at Autozone Online for under $4 a quart, but on the shelf it's way more than that. I just bought a gallon of Rotella at Menards (midwest lumber yard type store) for a bit more than $12. My car burns it and leaks it so fast I am always replenishing the zinc with a fresh quart of oil.

11. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

not sure about the accell. but i do know the "supertech 15/40 universal" that comes in the blue gallons is very solid stuff. very healthy zinc/phos package. better than most premium fleet oils. sold at walmart. its around $10 a gal. dont be folled by multi million dollar advertising when it comes to lube oils, oil analysis and api Ratings cut through the hype.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. I think that it should have ZDDP levels either in the ingredients or there will be a code number on the package that can be deciphered to let you know how much ZDDP is in the additive. You could also look up the MSDS sheet on line for the product and maybe get a clue as to what is in it. MSDS sheets give a lot of information about a product, and are often overlooked by the general public.

That's a shame, we should set you up as a dealer. Brad Penn is the official oil of the HAMB. :D
    They mail order it don't they? I have never seen Brad Penn locally either. :(

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  13. looked at a 2007 msds sheet and it said supertech oil has 1.5% zince? whatever that means.:rolleyes:

14. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

im not sure how volume percent converts to ppm's, but i had an oil analysis done before on it for a friend who was looking to run it in his jeep. it was over 1200ppm, nearly 1300. which is a good level for flat tappets

alotta 15w40s are considered "fleet" oils, meaning its designed to run in everything you operate. diesels to older v8's in work trucks to briggs and strattons. its due to this that the universal or "fleet oils generally get away with increased zinc levels, they're getting past epa guidelines for "street car" oil or energy conserving oil mandates. napa sells a good one, and valvoline makes a product nameed "fleet" or all fleet too.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014