Register now to get rid of these ads!

DANGER! DANGER! Eye of the Tiger, thrill of the fight! Survivors rule all.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bobbleed, May 19, 2014.

1. daddylama

daddylama

what a RAD little roadster...

i had a set of inglewood tires, old and crusty... thought for sure they were good enough to at least scoot around town on. few mile drive, got home, pulled up in my driveway and the right rear lost it's tread. just plain gone. never felt or heard a thing. forgot all about that until seeing the pic here...

2. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Killer roadster. I think the headers look great. Glad to see this one back on the roads where it belongs, nose-heavy and all..

Hnstray likes this.
  3. Such a bitching little roadster. I really dig it.

4. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

5. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

yes yes yes. Some very cool shit.

6. Thats a sweet survivor, congats on another cool toy.

7. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

8. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Love it,high five to ya,for trying to stay real.
    BUT,fact is all the rods I built or know of were not just built first time an worked perfect,so all were adjusted over the times they ran. Best we can do is try to be sure we just keep them as they were when they ran the best for the longist time. So point in time can be other then first build date{still that is the date it started an should be used as ref.]. I have done a few updates also{ being the guy that built it my self I have a big advange in knowing my rod bolt by bolt,my headers are one{I got a free broken set of Chevys an made them fit my Ford Y-block V8,plus some high shin stainless steel sheet is replacing my old polished alum sheet{now at 72 it save me some shin time.
    I'm lucky enough to still have my own hotrod from high school ,I built in 1959,but I did adjust an change things a little up tell I pulled it apart in 1965/never to get around to start on restore it tell a few years back. Just too many other hotrods an race cars got in the way over the years,but WOW it's been way more fun then I thought to get her going again; http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/working-on-my-hotrod-28a-from-1959-rebuild.793393/

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  9. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

WOW is all I can say.

10. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ya know, what slays me is how casual Bob is about the hard work of getting it together so quickly, and how "right" it all is:

"So the motor was swapped out for a really good running 324, we put the dimpled valve covers on and a 3x2, used the original top shift lasalle, replaced the masters, and wheels cylinders and I ended up putting a Chevy slave cylinder in, never did find what the original was.

The exhaust was shot so I made some headers and gas welded them up so they look old, capped them off with some old JC Whitney tips, they are funky, but look pretty authentic, plus they were made with stuff that was laying around....."

All this like it's no big deal, just another day at the coolest office ever.

11. Low Black Special

Low Black Special
    from SE Iowa

Cool. I really like the way the headers turned out.

Hey Bob, Any updates on the Jango roadster? Am really digging that car.

12. rebarsfords

rebarsfords

That hot rod is fricken awesome! What a time machine!

13. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Couple pics... Even used it to haul a trans at Iola!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1405296704.570157.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1405296739.533723.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1405296763.057539.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. That thing is so cool, even cops love it!

15. I wish the guy that delivers parts to my place would show up in something cool... :rolleyes:

Looking good Bob. How long do you plan on keeping this one?

16. Quintin

Quintin

It was very cool seeing it in person!

17. Bob doesn't find cars... they find him!

It's coolio!

18. roadsterpilot

roadsterpilot

roadsters rule!!!!

19. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

20. This little roadster rocks.....

21. Amazing little car you have there!

22. basicbob

basicbob

Congrats Bob, good thinks happen to good people!!!!

23. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Better n better, fun

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

25. slammed

slammed

Bob is not afraid to whip a doughnut with his car's. Leaving sideways neither.

26. Bajita

Bajita
    from Laredo

Great find. Love those old style rods. A friend of mine had a similar one in Laredo, Texas built in the sixties named
    The Outlaw. Thanks

27. Smack021488

Smack021488
    from Chicago

My name is Sam I am the guy in Bob's post that just happened to be talking to Bob Burger the guy that might have started the build on this sweet little roadster. This is a super long story and is really crazy but super cool!

I just happened to be talking to Bob Burger, the owner of a volvo repair shop that is next my Bicycle shop just north of chicago. I was in the shop hanging out with some of the mechanics and Bob was their and I asked him about a 29 grill shell on his wall. He told me that it was on a car he had a long time ago. The car it came off was a 29 model a roadster he bout for $5 dollars i believe he said in 1957 when he was in high school. he then said he made a really fun hot rod out of it. I had to get back to work but i couldn't wait to hear more about his roadster he built.

That night i went home and was going threw some instagram and i came across Bob Bleeds post of the red roadster the day he was bringing it home. i think the picture was of it on a trailer. anyway i thought woooowww thats a sweet old hot rod!

The next day i decided to head over to Bob Burgers shop to show him that people still collect these old cars! When I walked into the shop he was tinkering on something and was standing rite their. it was a weird awkward before i said hey Bob i Think you might like this. and i showed him Bob bleeds pic of the car on the trailer and he looked at it for I SHIT YOU NOT 5 seconds then looked rite at me and quietly and with the face of udder "not giving a shit" said "thats my car." I was floored and didn't know what to say or do... I was so excited all i could do was just call Bob bleed at Midwest fab. I probably sounded like I was on drugs but I think I said "Bob I found the guy that built that car," and that was it. A pause over the phone then "wait what?" After telling Bob the story he Told me a few things to ask Burger one being the baby blue paint that was under the red.

I walk back next-door to Burger and he was Standing in the same spot just looking at me with his bank "not giving a shit face" and I just said "what color was your roadster before you painted it?" "Robin's Egg Blue" he says to me. Rite then and their I think I lost my mind.... I think I called Bob bleed 30 seconds later and I think I left him a message of me probably speaking gibberish and just went back to work. later in the day Bob called me and left a message FREAKING OUT about the Robin's egg blue! I still have the message saved it was just way to funny!

Long Story short I was hooked. I had just bought a 29 body from Bob Bleed to have him put it on one of his frames for me and so I was already going up to their shop when I had a day off from my shop. The first time i saw the roadster sitting out front of his shop I knew I had to find a way to one day be part of this cars life! Bob took me for a spin and That was it I told Bob if you ever sell it talk to me first... A few months later i got a phone call. "Hey Sam so i was thinking..."

My wife and I drove the roadster home on the best crisp September night I have ever had after the Midwest Fab open house. The drive home was smooth Wisconsin backroads. The roadster ran like a top all the way home.

The next day I drove the car to work and put it rite out front of Bob Burger's shop so it was the first thing he would see that morning. I watched from inside my shop just walk up to the car and stand rite in front of it. I walked out to him and he just looked at me and said "what do you want for it?" We both laughed and I softly and sheepishly said ummm no.... i thought wow if it is his car and he wants it back who am i to say no to him... We stood out front of our shops for about and hour just talking. Talking about everything, talking about his time in high school when he was building it. Or the time he wanted to drive it with friends but didn't have the interior in it and the gas tank lit on fire. He told me stuff that was totally not his work. he also said he thought he had led filled the seems on the cowl. He said he took the Olds 303 heads to shop class in high school and machined them down "just a touch" he said.

"want to drive it?" I said to him. "OOOHH NOOO NO" he says to me.. i was shocked i thought he would jump rite in, "but you drive." we drove around the neighborhood our shops are in talking more about the smell and the sound of the car going threw the gears. "Can you park it in front of my shop so i can take a picture with it?" That was super cool! a few weeks later Bob walks into my shop and says "hey sam do you think i can drive that Roadster?" He took me on a cruise of his life when he was building the car. The house he built the car, the house he bought a 40 ford for the brakes from. He said he bought the 40 ford that had a locked motor for $8 and he just wanted the breaks off of it. The look on his face was something i will never forget. we just drove around the neighborhood for almost an hour.

Bob Burger has now bought himself a 27 roadster and is having fun tinkering with it and I notice him working in his shop a lot more now. I see him driving around with his dog on the weekends and he stops in my shop whenever I have the car out front.

Things on the roadster have been changed if it was Bob's car but I will say I have faith! I have a lot more pictures of the car and pictures that Bob Burger gave me that i will post some time!

HOT RODS KICK ASS!

28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

To fucking cool man, that just made my day :)

wingnutz likes this.
  29. slammed

slammed

This car's journey needs to be put to printed paper, proper like.

30. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

One of the best stories I've read on the HAMB lately..