Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '46 Chevy tranny swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rusty Heaps, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

What is the easiest transmission swap for my '46 chevy. I want to put in a floor shift trans and don't want to swap the torque tube drive train, I also have installed a '61 235 with headers. I have approached this topic before, but want to make sure before I drop money on a trans I can't use. Any tips or info for a smooth transition? I am told '38 passenger or '38-'47 1/2 ton truck. Anybody made this swap? I'm going for an early '50s rod style on the cheap.

2. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

also the trans that's in it now is the vacuum shift, so that's not an option.

3. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

4. gibby64

gibby64
    from East Texas

S-10 5 speed bolts up nicely... though if you are keeping the torque tube that won't work... why not just put the shifter in the floor? They make 3-speed converters. Torque tube didn't exist in chevys after '54 (i believe).... so any later trans won't work. swaping in a G-body (80's cutlass, regal, monte carlo) rear seems pretty common with that vintage and isn't that difficult... then you can ditch the tube and put in a 4 or 5 speed.

5. you can use a T5 4x4 transmission and keep the TT. i think somebody here does conversion.

6. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Patrick sells a kit to install a 4 speed car transmission onto the torque tube. Go to their web site and check it out. http://patricksantiquecars.com/chevy_parts.html click on chevy parts and scroll down till you see the conversion kit. Now keep in mind that even though it says it's for the trucks, it will work on Chevy cars with torque tube rear ends also.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  7. snaptwo

snaptwo

Vacuum shift can be deleted by changing to the later arms on the tranny. The 46 box is a weak sister though , still had bronze bushings instead of needle bearings.