Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods help with a halibrand quickchange

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flamedcoupe, Jul 7, 2014.

1. I have acquired a halibrand V8 quickchange that on the way to the L A Roadster show died a violent death. I think from what I've looked so far I need a ring and pinion 3.78 and pinion bearings,spacers and a pair of rear cover bearings to get started. Who handles these parts and does anyone have a number for a gentleman in the Carolina's named Dennis Fring. I think he is very knowledgeable with quickchanges. The case is not damaged. I also need a number 1 set 24/24 for the same rear. A help is appreciated.

2. Dennis Fring, 4324 Republic Ct. N.W. Concord, North Carolina, 28027, 704-788-8225.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Thank you for Mr. Fring's information.

4. I'm hooked up with Mr Fring and all is well. Thank you.

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. Good luck with this rebuild. I heard about this quickchange dismembering itself a long way from home.

6. Yes it did Don. I was riding alongside Butch when it let go. Wasn't pretty but luckily it didn't lock up on the hiway. It did lock up when we went to put it on the trailer though.
    Somewhere on the side of the road on RT 66 in New Mexico.

broke.JPG butch1.jpg butch2.jpg

7. Great shots, Andy. Circumstances sure do suck though.

8. The roadster is already fixed from what I hear Don.

9. That doesn't surprise me at all. If ever there was a true hot-rodder, it's Butch. Both of you guys are right up at the top of my list of "Hot-Rodding Heroes".:)

10. Shit........Thanks Don, but I don't hold a candle to Butch. He's THE MAN! :)

11. linechaser32

linechaser32
    from Iowa

What caused it to fail? I have run them in a few cars and never had a problem. I there somthing to check periodically to prevent problems?

Thanks

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Yes, autopsy results and repair report would be great!

13. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

It "only" had one hundred and sixty thousand miles on it!!!!!!!!!!

14. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

Yep, that is a lot of mileage, but any idea what failed?

15. No idea. I wasn't there when they tore it down. Will (FlamedCoupe) would probably know more.

16. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

I ran an entire race with one (no oil). It was a dragrace @ Greenvalley the car was a C dragster, very fast for the era. Note: some dumbass removed the 90W for a big car show...oh I guess the DA was me!

17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Two Brizio units got torn down in San Jose, bearings had failed. (pinion and side brgs)
    They were stamped 'Bulgaria'. At that time, Halibrand was still operating out of Wellington, KS. just prior to their filing legal papers.
    The counter man said he'd put new brgs in a box and send them.
    When they arrived, they were stamped 'Bulgaria'. My friend went to the major bearing houses in the area, luckily found some USA stamped bearings, the side brgs were German 'FAG'.

18. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

Good info, might should check my bearings and see what is in there while I have it apart!

19. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

The tow truck bill must have been huge to get it back home. QC's are nice but they do fail occasionally as do 9 " rear ends. I heard a new Winters fixed the problem.

20. ..............and at least Winters is still in business and close by.

21. pinion bearings both and that caused the pinion rise up killing the rear cover bearing and the spur gears rode over each other and killed them. I'll get it back together and put it in my roadster pickup i'm building. Butch and I went to Winters and got him a new unit drum to drum.