Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. bcook

bcook

What makes you think Capels drove it?

2. dirt in ur beer

dirt in ur beer

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  3. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

A couple from a fund raiser for Eastern Racing Museum last winter

Attached Files:

4. dirt in ur beer

dirt in ur beer

I was at that race. Indiana midget week and Clauson won sprint feature that night

5. rooman

rooman

Probably the fact that Roy knows Johnny pretty well as Capels is his step dad.

Roo

6. bcook

bcook

yea but it's my race car...and can't remember Johnny Capels ever driving it!!!maybe there's pictures or something?

7. POOH

POOH

I received an e-mail about Marty Moore staying in a family
    Basement inSpeedway during Indy in month of May. I believe he stayed at our house. He had a40 Forty ford with a carson top and wrenched on the Helse Special. To further explain I accidentally trashed the message and I would like to re contact whoever contacted me.
    Thanks,

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  8. racer5c

racer5c

pm me I'll send you his phone number, said he drove it one time told me the two boys that built it weren't old enough to get in the pits when he drove it. Had nothing but good things to say about them

9. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

Granite State Sprint is still here, and available. Made substantial price reduction, see the classifieds if interested.

10. racer5c

racer5c

Ben Cook, this is the best that John can remember, They were racing Indy cars at Trenton the same weekend but John was still driving sprint cars, He thinks it was 1969 one of the two brothers called him and asked him to drive the car at Reading, John had Jerry Miller helping him, they got to the track and the boys had the car outside the pits because they weren't old enough to get in the pits, he said the motor didn't have much power and he and Jerry Miller tried to check the timing but there was no timing mark anywhere that they could find, he didn't want to do to much to their engine on his own so they just ran it. said the car worked great just couldn't get it down the straightaway as fast as they needed to. and he missed the show. I didn't ask but I am assuming it was a USAC race but I will ask him for sure

slobitz likes this.
  11. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

Not to confuse the issue but some time back I think that Jim Bob Luebbert told me that he also drove for the young Cook boys. At least I seem to remember him saying that some of the Cooks were too young to sign in at the track. Does this make any sense or am I just getting confused after thinking about Capels?

12. bcook

bcook

yes, Jim did drive for us, and yes USAC did say we were to young to get pit side...I'd love to talk to him....can someone pm me with his phone #...

13. racer5c

racer5c

Jim Bob's business
    Speedway Monogramming (317) 241-0912

14. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

mac miller and Kenny Shrader on the Winchester HiBanks during Winchester Oldtimers Weekend! 005 Schrader and McGriff Winchester July 2014 063.jpg

15. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

sachs2.jpg sachs9.JPG sachs10.PNG sachs11.PNG sachs12.jpg sachs13.jpg sachs14.jpg sachs15.jpg sachs16.jpg Checking in.. Been a while. Been working a bunch. YES, I will be at the Miller Meet in Milwaukee this weekend (July 11 &12). I just finished up installing a fresh 255 Offy in the 1963 Sach's Watson Roadster (Chassis #23.. The LAST roadster Watson built for Racing) and going through the entire car and getting it ready to run. Looking forward to seeing a lot of you there!

J Shaw

Black vette 59 and racer5c like this.
  16. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

ALSO!! I will have the complete line of Vintage Racing Shirts with me...

Attached Files:

17. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

Hey Josh, looks as if Bill and I will miss the Milwaukee meet this year....will miss being there!! Someone do lots of pics....Joe K

18. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

Hey guys, here's a good story and video on the 2014 Millers at Milwaukee event last weekend....they had 31 cars in attendance sadly down from previous years..good history of the Miller Indy and other race car....Joe

http://theoldmotor.com/?p=123788

19. ironhead888

ironhead888

Hi, My Name is Mark Burns. Son of Harold Burns, your grandpa and my dad raced together back in the 50's and 60's. Ask your Dad about the Burns' we were all kind of family. I Grew up with Dad and aunt Debbie. In fact I used to call your Grandpa and Grandma Uncle Marv and Aunt Myrtle. Say hi to Dad for me. I still live in Minnesota

20. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Three guys and myself attended on Friday. Great event! Yes bought one of your shirts. This has been on our bucket list for years. Took 4 years to put the trip together. Us old folks move slow.

21. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

It has been reported on Hosehead and Indiana Open Wheel that Jerry Blundy died Monday , July 14.

As good as he was on the miles in a sprinter, I wondered why no one put him in a champ dirt car after USAC liberalized their rules.

22. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

Good article but I think you may be off on your car count. At least fifty cars were supposedly entered and while some did go home early after rain was predicted for Saturday it still seemed like a pretty normal Miller Meet. Here's another story on the event.

http://racingnation.com/50-vintage-indy-cars-on-historic-track-delight-vintage-indy-car-crowd/

23. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

You can see Josh in the picture.

24. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

I am happy I made that mistake! I was going by the preregistered list and I'm glad some 50 cars showed. This is a great event and I sure hated to be absent this year. 2015 hopefully.......thanks for posting my mistake and glad it turned out better than I thought....Joe

25. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

26. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I am trying to find some history on the B&J Chevy that Bobby Marvin drove. Was it a former Sam Traylor car? Does it still exist today?
    Thanks, Don

27. bakes

bakes
    from albany NY

Amos Hill (with glasses) at Shangri-La Speedway, Owego NY, circa 1946. The blonde guy facing away from the camera is my dad, Bob Baker. Believe this one may have had a 4 port Riley under the hood - any confirmation?

Attached Files:

29. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Amos Hill did drive a Riley in 1946, but I don't know if it was this car.