Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Just bought my 1st hotrod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Floyd OConnor, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Floyd OConnor

Floyd OConnor

Just purchased my first hot rod. Hopefully I didn't make a bad purchase.
    It seems to have all the right components.
    1929 ford roadster all steel brookville body black with black leather int sits on a Brookville 32 pinched frame. 350 motor built by J on Barrett 9" posi rear 700r trans. Pete and Jakes front end and motor all chrome Sid Chavers top and side curtains.
    It was built over the coarse of 10 year. It has only 85 miles on it.

20140705_162458 web.jpg
    00D0D_klpkV099OEX_600x450web.jpg
    00J0J_dOUZkCRWLum_600x450web.jpg
    00D0D_ejBIb42wHdn_600x450web.jpg 00303_42dGzF8ZmNM_600x450 web.jpg

2. Chuck hole

Chuck hole

Looks pretty good. I'd paint the grill shell black to match the body. Love the 32 rails. Be sure to wear a big smile while driving it. Be prepared to have your balls busted by a bunch of HAMBers for having a small block Chevy, not me though, sbc's are awesome. Nice buy

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. We all have different views and taste,but it looks like you got a nice car,I don't have a problem with the sbc and like CH said painting the grill shell to match the body would be on my to do list and while I was at it a wheel change more appropriate to the style build but that's just my opinion.:D

Congratulations ,it's got a nice look. HRP

4. missysdad1

missysdad1

Nice car, Floyd! Now that you own it you can change a few things to make it your own. Chuck's suggestion ^^^ is a good one to help your car "transition" from somebody else's "street rod" to Floyd's HOT ROD!

Maybe a little bit more backward tilt on the windshield, a little less chrome on the motor and a set of painted steelies with tall, narrow tires would help, too. As Chuck mentioned, you'll probably get your nuts tossed for being a little too "street roddy" for the traditional "hot rod" crowd, but that's just how it is on a traditional hot rod site like the HAMB.

Anyhow, welcome aboard and congratulations on your new ride. Stick around, and perhaps you'll come to enjoy being one of the rough-edged bunch. The HAMB isn't for everybody, but thanks for giving this site a try! Hopefully you'll become one of the "regulars" here.

5. It's a beauty, just drive it!

6. Hot Rod Jerry

Hot Rod Jerry

Drive it like ya stole it. Nice car

7. Welcome Floyd. Really nice car!! The changes that you could make to have it look like a more traditional hot rod would be quick and easy.

8. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Congrats on the purchase it looks to be a nice little roadster. One thing though, maybe its just the camera angle or maybe just me, but in the middle picture it looks like the left front is toed out a bunch.

9. opunui

opunui
    from Honolulu

Cant go wrong with that!

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Take the tilt out of the column and add it to the windshield posts. You might also ditch those valve covers.

From the perspective of this site, you need to make that thing more mechanical... More, old... More...

Good start though... Now take it apart and make it your own.

11. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

It looks very good. You will have a blast going to car shows and driving around town. The people you meet be the best part of this adventure.

12. Congrats..the fun starts now!

13. Floyd OConnor

Floyd OConnor

Thanks Fellas I'm super excited. I want to change the grill color to match the body.
    Valve covers absolutely need to be changed. I'm a Ford guy through and though and deserve any busting I get
    for a friggin Chevy engine but it is what it is and its very hard to find a roadster with a Ford engine.

dana barlow likes this.
  14. frdsuperduty

frdsuperduty
    from Lewes De

Very nice car especially for a first hot rod.Personally Id be a little nervous about the Jon Barrett motor.They screwed a bunch of people including myself on their way out of business.Hopefully you will be more fortunate.

15. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

Looks like a great start. Drive the car to some shows and you will find out what you like and what you want to change. I see lots of little things I would change and I am sure people who see my car say the same about mine. Change things that make you feel good as it is all about driving YOUR car and not what someone else thinks it should be. Looking forward to seeing the grill painted. A guy here in town adapted Yblock valve covers to the small block chev in his 1955 Tbird. He took it to a Tbird show and someone asked him how he adapted the Chev waterpump to his Yblock HAHA. He told them it was easy.

16. Yeah, like he said. Nice start.
    If it were mine, I'd paint the grill shell, loose those mags. and replace all that bright work on the engine and etc. More hot rod and a lot less street rod.....
    Either way I'm sure it's a blast to drive.....

17. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

That's a gorgeous car I'd change the wheels and valve covers if it were mine but I wouldn't hesitate to drive it the way it sits. Fully polished finned valve covers and an air cleaner to match would be great on that car

18. slowmotion

slowmotion

That's a nice ride. Tweak it to your own taste and run the wheels off it. Trade that sbc for a half dozen of those other brand engines if that's your flavor. :D

19. swifty

swifty

10 year build with only 85 miles?? There's got to be a story there? And I agree with Ryan's suggestions.

20. oldsman41

oldsman41

congrats, now drive the hell out of it.

21. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Its your car and that is all that matters.

If you are asking for opinions, here are mine:

lose the moon tank
    Steelies ( painted cream like firewall and maybe black double line on outer edge)with Bias ply tires /blackwalls
    Lose the tilt column
    drop the seat back below the body line
    Add some finned aluminum valve covers and change air filter housing

** With that being said if it was in my driveway I would drive the piss out of it. Enjoy and Congrats

22. The greatest thing about hot rods is that you're never done working on them. Take your time and make it your own. Congrats.

23. Floyd OConnor

Floyd OConnor

Real nervous about the engine but from what the previous owner said it was purchased 8 years ago, before all the problems started. The guy took his time on the build and really only drove it the last 3 years to shows only.
    He has 2 boxes off receipts he will give me with the car. I'm skeptical about the mileage but if you saw the car in person you can tell it wasn't driven much. I'm going to drive it the rest of the season and when it go's in for hibernation the work will begin.

dana barlow likes this.
  24. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

Congrats on the purchase. Nice ride!

25. ssrs71

ssrs71

Congrats. Wish my first hot rod looked that nice. Drive it and enjoy.

26. 1928chevycoupe

1928chevycoupe

WOW, fantastic car!

one or two steps up from the pile of rust most of us start with :)

27. ENJOY ! BIG SMILE and drive the hell out of this summer . Winter is the time to change anything you decide you don't like after putting a lot of miles on her . Blue

28. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Now that it is yours make it yours. Do all you can to make it as comfortable as you can- get the right insurance & get ready for your 1st speeding ticket. Nice roadster...................................

29. Just my $.02
    Usually the car tells you what it wants to be.
    Your car says it wants to be about '65 in my opinion.
    So there were tons of small block Chevy's
    in Fords in the 60's.
    You only need a few changes to be "traditional" as a 60's ride.
    Valve covers, finned aftermarket, like Offenhauser.
    A simple old style manifold and 4 barrel and aftermarket air cleaner.
    Leave the column if you like the tilt but get a simple 3 or 4 spoke steering wheel.
    leave it square at the show!
    paint the shell as mentioned, and maybe some of the bright in the dash area.
    A good thing is that the Streetrod guys will buy your cast-off stuff.
    Last but MOST:
    you need a set of Torque Thrust Mags dark centers with 6:00- 15 fronts and 8:20-15 rears
    with about a 5 inch width.
    More than anything else the wheels tell the story,
    and yours are screaming "STREETRODDER" 1990! right now.
    Do whatever you want,
    I'm just opinioning my take.
    Great find, congrats!

bowie likes this.
  30. wicarnut

wicarnut

Congrats!, Nice car, Enjoy. John

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014