Register now to get rid of these ads!

The last Grasp Special '34 3 window build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by whodaky, Mar 23, 2012.

1. I like those striped streamliners!

2. Wardog

Wardog

Awesome fab work on the race car nose Geoff.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Having made that bit more progress on the front, we decided to leave it and get back to finishing off the welding on the left rear corner of the roof.

[​IMG]

Later in the afternoon, Rita came out with coffees and cake. So whilst having this we sat and viewed our front once more. As it was now getting towards early evening and getting a bit cold in the garage we decided to go inside. A while later we had dinner and after this Tony showed some of the recent images he had saved on the computer. Around 10.30p.m. I went to bed.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Saturday morning I arose early as usual. After a shower I went for a walk along the beach. You could tell it is now winter, as there was no-one else on the beach at this early hour. Like most times when I take this walk, I just let my mind run free. Although as I was 'rock hopping' around the water's edge, I was concentrating intently on where I was stepping. The water would be very cold now if I was to slip and fall into it.
    Arriving back at the house Rita and Zoe were up. Zoe was watching a childrens animated DVD ( Diablo I think ). So I watched with her for a while. Just another one of those simple things that I never get to do, but very neat. Zoe told me all about Diablo and what he does. Just as the DVD finished Tony came down-stairs and we all had breakfast . After breakfast we went out into the garage. First thing we did was have another play with the '38 hood top.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  5. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

We didn't want to spend to much time on the front at this point. So we moved onto the right rear pillar, which Tony cleaned the surface rust off in preparation for welding.

[​IMG]

Not long after we got going out in the garage, Sam, Spencer T and Jude arrived. The boys went inside to see Rita and Sam came in to see our progress. I think he liked what he saw in both the welding and the'new' hood top..
    Around an hour later we all went in and had lunch. After lunch Sam and his boys went home. Tony and I then went back into the garage and continued welding for a while longer.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  6. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Thanks Wardog. It is quite a long time ago that I did the track nose for our old salt car. There is a bunch more shots I think, of me making it. I will dig them out when I think of it.
    Mitch when next we meet I will tell you my inspiration for those 2 striped pieces!

Geoff aka whodaky

7. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Around mid aftenoon Tony and I decided to have a break from welding and would move back to the front of the 3w. I had said to Tony earlier that I wanted to alter the front dolly wheel mounts to get the chassis lower. To be more like what would eventually be the Last Grasp Special's ride height. I could see that we needed to do this because when we were eyeballing the coupe with the front on it, we were not getting the true picture of how it would look as a whole.
    So whilst I altered the dolly mounts, Tony did some dent removal and reshaping on the '38 hood top.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

With the dolly wheels altered and a bit more panel work done. It was all mocked up once more. It was all looking good, but there was still something about it that was niggling at me. At that we decided to call it a day and go inside and have dinner.
    Earlier Jodie had brought Zac over. So tonight we would have both Zoe and Zac to keep us amused.
    I headed off to bed at around 11.00 p.m.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. I love where this is going and the story of how it's getting there.
    Keep up the good work boys

10. lowlids

lowlids
    from australia

Geoff I have been reading about the progress on the grasp I really like the shot you took from the high level and the one before it showing the rake the grasp will have. Yes I agree that 33/ 34 three window coupes look really good with track nose fronts and it all flows, and yes with all the head butting with Geoff our ideas are a work in progress.

11. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

When I came down-stairs the next morning Zoe and Zac were watching a DVD. Rita came in to say Tony would be down soon and would go with me for a walk along the beach. So whilst I waited, I watched the DVD with Zoe and Zac.
    It was a cool morning, but quite pleasant for our walk. Lucy came along also. She loves being let loose to run on the beach and to go into the water as she pleases. As it was a little later than I would normally take my walk, a few locals that Tony knows were at the beach also letting their dogs have a run. Lucy and the other dogs know one another well and had a great time running and playing together. It is such a simple thing to watch, but very special in itself.
    Getting back to the house we had breakfast. Late in the morning, Jodie came by to pick up Zoe and Zac. Just after we had all had lunch, Mitch ( Fuzzybear ) and his children ( Layla and Charlie ) came to visit. As Zoe and Zac were still here, all the children went into Rita's red room to play. Tony, Mitch and I all talked about stuff. Mitch had brought along a couple of pieces of his art, that we looked at and also talked about.
    Jodie, Zoe and Zac had to go home. We all said goodbye to them. Tony, Mitch, his children and I then went out into the garage. Boy did Layla and Charlie's eyes light up when they got out into th garage, even more so when I let them sit in and 'drive' each of the hot rods. These old cars can be all consuming and a lot of the time very frustrating for us. But to see the thrill the children were getting by being in and around them was so special.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  12. I'll stick my pics of the day in here if you don't mind.

Geoff and Charlie having a kick of the footy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Charlie and Layla "driving" the hotrods.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    They both loved their visit and have been telling everybody about the hotrods.
    I'm off to the "fridge" swap meet tomorrow, hope to see some of you blokes there.

Oh and thanks again for the "whodakys" Geoff I've pinned them up in my shed as inspiration for when I'm out there flingin' paint around (really need to get a heater out there so I can do more of it, damn it's cold!)

13. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Thanks Mitch for those images. That is the one thing I forgot to do, when Layla and Charlie were cruisin.
    Looking at the image of me out having a kick of the footy. I think I am way past playing for the mighty Bombers. But it was fun and once again a very simple thing that we all had fun doing.
    Mitch it was nice to meet your family.
    I am glad you liked the 'whodakys'. It's nice that you see them as inspiring.
    Of the 2 pieces of your art that you gave Tony and I. Tony chose the striped hand saw and I got the framed pencil drawing of the '32 3W. ( just hang on a minute I will take a couple pictures of it ).

[​IMG][​IMG].

Yeah it has been cold here. I have been in the garage as usual, still sorting out stuff since I got the 2 poster hoist. It's all coming together real well.
    I don't have heat in my garage as well. If it gets really cold I will put on an electric heater. Haven't used it as yet this year. I just rug up. I have never had a desire to have any form of wood heater out here. As I haven't really wanted to have to get wood etc. Besides when I get busy out here, the cold goes away in my mind.

Geoff aka whodaky

14. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Tony, Mitch and I talked hot rods and the children went back inside to play with the toys in Rita's red room.
    The last time I had come down I had brought a couple of old magazines down for Mitch. These were contained in a Rodder's Journal envelope that I had striped ( that is the striping he is referring to, in his last post ). So I took this opportunity to give them to him.
    Around 5 p.m. Mitch, Layla and Charlie had to get going. But not before Mitch gave Tony and I the 2 pieces of art he had brought along to show us. Mitch left it up to us to choose which piece each of us wanted. Thankyou Mitch, that was totally unexpected. As you saw in the images I posted above, your art fits well in my humble lil shed!

Geoff aka whodaky

15. You must be tougher than me re the cold Geoff. I tend to feel the cold pretty bad, not so much when I'm doing something physical but if I'm just sitting there painting it cuts right through me. Btw that pic looks great hanging there (even if I do say so myself)

sent via classroom note. pass it on

16. Everything looks great Who!

17. lowlids

lowlids
    from australia

Today I went to visit a friend he is in a bad way and the two hours I spend with him made all my back pain seemed like nothing compaired to what he is feeling. I started talking about the good times we spent together going to the early nationals and about the road trip adventures we had, this put a lot of smiles on our faces all that time I was there. I asked him if he wants me to come and visit again, yes please was his answer. This made me realise that life is to short and we must enjoy every day to the fullest. I lost a good friend months ago , boy I still miss him a lot as we worked on my roadster 3 day before he passed on and he was really fit . After today I want to live everyday as it is my last day. I want Geoff and I to enjoy working on The Last Grasp special to be fun and an enjoyable time together . And we both will be thinking out of the box to create something Special from this hammered coupe .

18. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

pick up 3.JPG pick up 1.JPG pick up 2.JPG very well summed up Tony. We often get so caught up in our our personal state that such a reality check is needed to bring some clear perspective in our lives sometimes. I truly hope that spurns you into a positive state of mind that allows those great ideas to be generated!!

i hope you don't mind me positng further progress shots on the pick up that Hodgey is putting the finishing touces to. It is truly looking wild in my opinion and i am so proud to have saved this once former street rod!
    sorry don't know why it posted images to top of page

fnjunk likes this.
  19. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

This is Ethan the kid Sorry to hear that uncle, you must feel pretty low but as long as he was happy, you should be to.
    As soon as me and my father get our 34 pick-up, we're going to burst over to your place like a bat out of hell and do like my father's little trick? So overall we never sold it in the first. Place!
    And whodacky, please let me know when you're back at Tony's place so I can help out on the last grasp special and also work on it with you so you can guide me on my first-time work on a hot-rod.

20. Wardog

Wardog

Tony, Sometimes we have a good day and sometimes we have a not so good day but every day above ground is still a good day. Tommy, the truck looks real good.

21. 3blapcam

3blapcam

I've been watching your build for a while, but I don't recall what you're doing for B pillars! Are you using stock wood or did you come up with something else?

I have a '33 3W that I picked up a few months ago & I'm trying to figure out what I'm gonna do there. I have the wood, but the bottoms are rotted off. I don't want the doors to sag... so I feel like I need to replace the wood with metal. Any thoughts or opinions?

3blap.

22. Hey Tom, that pickup looks really cool mate. I cannot wait to see it in the flesh.

Geoff and Tony whatever direction you take with the last grasp it will be one cool coupe that's a certainty.

23. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

Thanks GaryD and also wardog for your support. It would be funny if not true, but I was speaking to my best mate Steve "the greeeeek" Galdes on Saturday afternoon and we where both lamenting on the question "what would we be doing right now if if wasn't for hot rodding?". We'll I said to Steve I could not even imagine, probably collecting stamps or Spode plate wear! But we both agreed that hot rods where an integral part of our DNA, our own internal makeup that cannot simply be erased, replaced or replicated. Having the opportunity to create and drive these masterpieces is such a blessing that only the faithful and hardened believers amongst us truly appreciate. I am so inspired by your positive comments to continue to want to build these and I only hope yet remain sure this is also reflected by both whodacky and Tony in there continuing evolution of the LGS which I am sure inspires us all.

24. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

strom.jpg
    and finally whilst we where both philosophising we where screwing together a couple of refurbished large logo 97's destined for one of the Greeeeks flatheads and enjoying a gentleman Jack or three.

A great afternoon in the garage capped off with wild rockabilly playing in the background.

25. 40zr1

40zr1

really enjoying the building the '34 and the rambling account of your adventures!

26. 3blapcam

3blapcam

Disregard. I went back to the 1st page & it looks you have the wood in there!

3blap.

27. Wardog

Wardog

Living the dream Tommy.

28. Kialla Kid

Kialla Kid
    from Kialla

Hey Tommy HOw bitchin does that pickup look?? You have nailed it my friend wicked stance. Regards Gazza

29. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

Thanks Gaz Man! Appreciate your positive response but all credit needs to go to Hodgey, I simply had no time to do this and I so wish to have this pickup at your run that we started the process back in March, boy how time flies! There are simply not many things in life that you can entrust to someone and expect it to turn out as you expect but that was the case with Mr Hodge, all I gave was a very simple task list I just let him display his talent. However, I think I will be cutting it extremely fine again for your run but will go like a "skun cat" to get it going for its debut. You and your fellow club members have made such an impression on me from my last run that I cannot wait to go around again to the wire. I hope that all the Aussie contributors on this thread also get to your run Gaz because in my opinion it is one of only a very small proportion of events run by real hot rodders.

I have attached some images of the manifold and head arrangement I am contemplating bolting up to my trucks flat motor.

Aussie rodders keep this thread alive and contribute often and in great volume! image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

30. Wardog

Wardog

Tommy, thanks for the kind words about the Cranksters and Nagambie. It will be great to see you're truck and even better with that AWESOME speed gear on it.