Register now to get rid of these ads!

I found an old Bud Holcomb show car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GrizzGang, Aug 6, 2013.

1. GrizzGang

GrizzGang
    from D/FW

A friend of mine lost his father and took me to his fathers place to help him and his mom clean up the place . Long drive out of state but anyway when we open the shop door there it sits . It is a 32 ford with a mid 50's olds motor chromed out with 2-4s and a bunch of louvers . Come to find out Bud Holcomb had built the car in the mid to late 50's and went on the show circuit for several years and won everything it entered . Then my friends grand father bought it and continued to show it thru about 63-64 I think and still won everything it entered . Now what happened between then and now I'm unsure of but I know the car was never altered or changed. My friends dad was restoring the car without changing a thing , just repainting , replating and making it look exactly as it was . He only got it about 80% done before he passed . They where showing me numerous Hot Rod magazines from the late50's and early 60's in which it was a cover car a couple of times and numerous feature articles on the car . Now the tricky part is his mom wants to sell and she knows everything about the car as she was on the circuits with him traveling around the country showing it . I think she is going to want some serious coin and I have no idea what it's worth with the pedigree it has . I should have some pics in the next few days and I'll post them up .

2. redo32

redo32

Found this picture of Bob Holcomb's 32 on Kustomrama

Attached Files:

3. redo32

redo32

Also listed here as Bud

Attached Files:

4. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like its worth serious coin too...

5. GrizzGang

GrizzGang
    from D/FW

That's it guys . I was blown away by this car . it is just as it was

6. GrizzGang

GrizzGang
    from D/FW

I wonder how many other cars bud built . I heard he was a louver artist.

7. I'd like to see more on this car!

8. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Interesting story. Are you seriously considering trying to buy the car? And if so are they aware of your interest? Since you know already it is not going to go with an "estate get rid of it price" I would make sure I was at least first in line.

Maybe have a plan to share with the mom on finishing the car. Best of luck with your decision on changing the ownership of this car to your name.

9. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

That's cool that the car still exists. I saw the 50 Chevy cusom on that R&C cover in person about 1996-97 in a small Iowa town repair shop. At the time I didn't pay too much attention to it but it still looked like it did on the cover. I shoulda asked if it was for sale and have always thought about going back and asking about it. That would be neat if both cars still existed the same.

10. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

I'd get my hair cut at Holcumb's barber shop when I was a kid. South Omaha Road Stars. It's where the die was cast.

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

wow, never know what is hidden away. be interesting to hear more about this story.

12. GrizzGang

GrizzGang
    from D/FW

I know my friends mom is wanting to sell it but she wants some serious coin because of it's pedigree . It's a freaking time capsule . There is no way I can afford it but I wonder if the resto was finished what could it fetch . She doesn't want a 100 but not far away .

13. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for putting this story of Bud Holcomb's up. The club Bud was in turned out really nice hotrods and customs. Another interesting rumor that intrigues me is that one of the South Omaha Road Stars bricked a boat tail speedster behind a wall. I believe it to be true. I think the gentleman that put it there is still alive and well into his 80's.

14. GrizzGang

GrizzGang
    from D/FW

What club was Bud in

15. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

This is their club plaque.

[​IMG]

There is a Rod and Custom table top book that miss identifies the car and Bud as from Des Moines. The Holcomb's are from Q St. in South Omaha. The family still has a car lot at Homestead Plaza on 48th and Q.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  16. damn it....there's always hope.....

17. Dropouts

Dropouts

Interesting story would like to hear more about the car bricked up behind the wall as well

18. Are the Road Stars still active? I made 25 plaques for them 14 years ago from this original pattern - one of the 8,000 Chicago Metal Craft patterns I have.

Dennis

Attached Files:

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Still no pics of what it looks like now?

20. 2racer

2racer

briefcase-full-of-cash.jpg

21. ...

Attached Files:

22. tom1him

tom1him
    from Omaha

I'm just curious what ever happened with this if anyone knows? The Holcombs were basically my grandparents. If this car is still available I know I would be interested in seeing it or seeing if it is or sale. And I'm sure his sons would be too.

23. abone1930

abone1930

24. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I remember Tiners's Drive In in Omaha---circa late 50's, early 60's. Lots of rods on a Friday or Saturday nite.

25. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

this is such cool history. I grew up in the area and didnt know at all about this side of the Holcolms. I remember coming out of school everyday and checking out the cars sitting on their car lot, sometimes some cool (er) cars. No hotrods though. I really would to love to hear more of this story.

26. tom1him

tom1him
    from Omaha

Later on they were seriously into Vettes and Ferrari's plus tons of other stuff. They basically had something cool and new all the time from Packards to Lambo's. I spent almost every Saturday of my youth at their dealership. His sons still have quite the collection including Buds 63 split window.

27. tom1him

tom1him
    from Omaha

Update. It looks like the car has turned up at the Okoboji Classic Car museum. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

28. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

What a shame, sitting in a museum collecting dust.

F&J likes this.
  29. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

I borrowed these pictures off Instagram. Pretty amazing car...the interior is over the top fifties style.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dana barlow and volvobrynk like this.
  30. Glad it survives, at least in a museum it won't be changed and people can view it.