Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Heavy Rebel Weekender...this weekend?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seadog, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Haven't seen much about this show. Is it still on for the July 4th weekend in Winston Salem? I went the last couple of years and had a good time, don't want to drive over there if it's not on for this year.

2. Cool. I'll get the cooler packed now. You coming up for it?

3. No,I'm going to the swap meet in Fletcher Friday and family coming in for the weekend. HRP

4. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

This may be a last minute decision. I would love to go. Had a blast last year.

5. This show is in my old stomping grounds. I have never been but have always heard good things aside from the heat in the downtown area. Would like to go one day!

6. Colville

Colville

Is their another thread for this years heavy rebel? Wondering who alls going?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

It`s Saturday June 5. They should have more space for cars this year according to their website. I`m going but not taking a car this year. I thought the Avanti would be ready, but it`s not and people may be getting tired of Captain Midnight.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  8. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

I'll be there. One of my favorite shows of the year.

9. Harps

Harps

I am going to try and go, and will be my first. Heard its a great show and event.

10. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

I'll be there in the roadster. carshowposter.jpg

11. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Any pictures from those that went?

12. Same thing I did, Andy! As soon as I got home, I ran to the 'puter to see some HRW coverage!

Still waiting...............

13. I'm pretty sure Tom went,,he will post when he gets home. HRP

14. [​IMG]

I went. Didn't take too many pics. At the risk of pissing off a bunch of folks, let me try to explain why.
    This was my third year attending; the quality of this show seems to be all over the place. Last year there were many what I'd call traditional cars, both finished and under construction. The ratio of "rust" to well thought out cars was at least 50/50, maybe a little higher toward finished cars.

This year it seemed like there were many more cars there, but the scales had tipped to something like 80/20 "rust" over finished. Before y'all start screaming, let me say that I really believe in the old saying "different strokes for different folks" Lots of good people are into the rusty look, and that's fine if that's their thing. I should add here that there were some cars that were very well built with a lot of thought and interesting approaches, even if they were sporting a layer of rust.

Sprinkled throughout the show were some real gems...I tried to cover some of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was probably, at least to me, the most interesting car I saw. Fresh out of a barn, this 40 was the real deal...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rest are here:
    http://tombo.smugmug.com/Heavy-Rebel-Weekender/

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. BillyBobsSpeedShop

BillyBobsSpeedShop

I would agree the show had a mixture of cars, the rumor was there was around 450 cars at the show. I went last year and it seems that there where double the cars this year. There where a few more traditional cars their this year than last. The first pic of the grey 29 coupe is mine, loved the black 29 on deuce rails, along with the couple of traditional roadsters as well.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  16. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Billybobsspeedshop... your car was a sweet ride! One of my favorites from the show. Loved those tail lights! A really clean car.

17. Gotta agree...the gray 29 coupe was very well done. Studebakermatt, I saw your car there too but couldn't get a good angle to get a shot. I've followed your build threads on here, really like your car too. I looked around a bit, thought I'd try to find you and introduce myself, but fat chance in that crowd.

18. BillyBobsSpeedShop

BillyBobsSpeedShop

Studebakermatt, your roadster is spot on as well. i am currently working on a 26 ford roadster right now as my next project. gonna tailor it for my wife but still keep it traditional ( 32 frame, fenderless, bare essentials with hemi or olds rocket)

19. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Great photos seadog! Thanks, yea tricky to know who's car is who's at shows. Glad I got to park next to the grace&co coupe.. I had the pleasure of following him to the show. Some nice detail on that car!

20. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Thanks! Oh man, sounds sweet... I tell myself my next one will have a hemi! You doing a build thread on it?

21. The black 29 coupe is Chris Hedrick's (of Grace & Company and Iron Lord fame)! He's just got this diamond polished up and on the road in the last couple months! I haven't seen it in person yet, but the attention to detail is flawless!

Nice coverage! Maybe I'll attend next year.........

22. Harps

Harps

Hey Guys, I was going to post some pics, but the ones of the most interest have been posted. BillyBob's, loved your coupe. So clean and so nicely done. The black '29 coupe was another one of my favs. The black '29 roadster with the white interior is my brother in laws, and he just got the car a few weeks ago out of the northeast. I brought the white '33 truck in the pic above, so thanks for posting it with all these great rides too. The green Woodie is the McCain Brothers and is unbelievably sweet!!!

23. From the looks of what was posted it seem the only cars that are considered hamb appropriate are cars belonging to Hambers,,

I thought the rusty rods thing was dying off but apparently it's regretfully still very much alive!o_O HRP

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  24. Colville

Colville

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG I dont believe this will ever be a traditional show, unfortunately I don't even know of an all traditional/original show. I had a blast this year though, just ignore the stuff you don't like and enjoy the things you do I suppose. We stopped in a original shell station from the 1930s and took some pretty cool photos, and then cruised all around the back roads of NC. Great times for sure.

These were taken with a 1963 Polaroid Land Camera.

25. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  26. Went for the first time this year. Had a frigging blast! It's as much party as car show. Excellent mix. I won't miss another one.
    Gotta love the N.C. ABC laws.