Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 Plymouth build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SteppinOut, May 16, 2013.

1. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Finally got to get to this project. So far have installed a 318 automatic and 8 3/4 rear from a 67 Satellite. The engine was rebuilt prior to install and we found a pair of headers from a dakota pickup that cleared all the steering mechanisms and fit well. Exhaust is being mocked up. Twin pipes out the back look great and will get some chrome pencil tips down the road.
    Next will be the wiring conversion to 12 volt along with all new fuel and brake lines.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. wallyringo

wallyringo

cool man keep it going.

3. farmer12

farmer12

Awesome project!

4. Those are nice cars and the '67 318 practically falls right in place. Looks like a very good project.

Bob

5. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Anyone looking to build a 55-56 Mopar project should definitely look for a 67 Mopar B body because as said above the 318 is a great drop in and the 8 3/4 rear almost bolts in - just move the spring perch. Thanks all!!!

6. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

Great start! Looking good. What did the drive shaft cost you to have changed?
    I want to replace the motor in my 56 Dodge, still running the 270 init.( I might just update the trans and rearend ; still looking at the cost of drive shaft.)

7. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

I was able to use the Satellite drive shaft and had it shortened and balanced by A1 driveshaft in Milwaukee for $145. The length needed to go down by just over 1 1/4 inches. We also had to fab a new transmission crossmember as well as new motor mounts to get the engine/trans to sit just right.

8. 73super

73super

Was never into these that much (preferred the '57 - '60) until I saw one recently up close and done right.. Yes, now a big fan. Nice ride! Much cheaper to obtain than the others too.

9. da dodge brother

da dodge brother
    from wisconsin

Great to see another mid-50's Mopar getting ready for the road. Had my '55 Dodge for over 12 years. Fun ride. Still running the original 270 Hemi backed with a 518A Mopar overdrive trans. and a '83 rear running 240 gears. Great gas milage. Around 22 mpg at 70 down the hi-way

Event website; www.kkoanorthevent.yolasite.com

Attached Files:

10. 73RR

73RR

The header find is really the good news. Can you post a few detail pics of them ??

11. Munster Motors

Munster Motors

i put a set on my 56 ply. has a 76 318/904 in it.
    dodge dakota durango headers fit better than block huggers

Attached Files:

12. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

No pictures but - WE HAVE IGNITION!!!!!
    Satred her up for the first time and she took a short maiden voyage around the block (no plates, no brake lights, no hood, no....) Sure felt good to hear her run and this is the first time since 1970 that this car drove on a road. Very cool. Still sorting out all the little electrical details for the 6 volt to 12 volt conversion but should be on the road driving by the 4th of July if not sooner. Car runs great and sounds great with full dual exhaust with glass pack mufflers in the stock muffler location. Nice mellow tone. After the electric is sorted I will start cleanin the interior and looking at seat options/upholstery as well as doing some rust prevention on the underside and frame rails. More to come.

13. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

One other note, I kept the stock front drums for now and was able to get them relined locally for under $70. Had the work done at Brake Clurch and Drum on 49th and State Street in Milwaukee - Great guys to work with and reasonable. They said they have been doing a lot of Mopar drum brakes lately.

14. wallyringo

wallyringo

If you ever need a new MC or other brake parts let me know. I switch to disc and have a box of old\new parts.

15. Abomination

Abomination

You know, with a different exhaust, a 1962+ 318 Poly is a drop-in. You can even use the same carb/accessories. ;)

16. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Took my girl home today. First time I have ever driven her. Runs great, stops great, shifts smooth. Now the cleaning and interior work can start. Feels so great to get this car running. Did some quick washing to remove 40 years of dust and dirt but a very thorough clean out will be coming. Also got my dual chrome pencil tip exhaust tips on. Love that look.

17. 35desoto

35desoto

Excellent news and so glad you kept it all MOPAR. That will be a neat combo - give you good takeoff yet get good MPG on the open road. Love those 55/56 body styles

18. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Spent some time with a scotch brite pad and removed quite a bit of the surface rust from the lower rear quarters and rockers. Still more work to do but very pleased with the results so far.
    Thanks to suggestions to do this from the HAMB!!!

BEFORE
    [​IMG]

AFTER
    [​IMG]

Also here is a pic that shows the pencil exhaust tips
    [​IMG]

19. rbmain

rbmain
    from Newark, CA

That rock behind the rear wheel was standard equipment on these cars, I kept mine in the trunk.

20. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

HA HA HA That's actually a piece of wood!!!! and yes it goes with me. What does not show is that my house sits on a hill so it is mandatory equipment. I think there is a Mopar emblem on the wood somewhere but i haven't date coded it yet.

21. moparkevin

moparkevin

I'm thinking about getting one of these cars... whats a good price to look for under 3g?

22. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

I think a good price for these really depends on what you want. Are you looking for a 4 door or a 2 door. Running and complete or project? My car had no engine and had been sitting for nearly 40 years. I paid under a grand but have way more than that into it. It all depends what you want.
    I see running driving 4 doors for $3500 to $7500 quite often with 2 doors being about $1000 to $1500 higher. There are also many project non-running cars out there as well.
    There is a 55 Plymouth 4 door on the Minneapolis Craigslist for $1700 right now and a 56 4 door on the St. Cloud Craigslist for $3100. Sellers often do not know what they are selling with these cars so you need to educate yourself. For example the 56 I referred to is advertised as having a wide block 318 but the pictures show the original 56 poly engine not a 318.
    I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you want to know more.

23. Always loved 55 Plymouths - this is a nice one. Thanks for sharing your experience!

24. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

25. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

I should really update where I am on this build.
    I bought some NOS fender skirts. 028.jpg
    Made some new wheelcovers from some old 52 Plymouth caps and chrome bullets. 079_zpsdffaa6c4 (1).jpg
    I just recently got some new mirrors for the doors and am waiting for material samples to start the seats.
    The headliner needs to come out and get cleaned !!!!!!! 102.jpg

26. Big Swede

Big Swede

Subscribing to follow. Any updates?

27. 73RR

73RR

If any of you guys with 55 Plymouths are contemplating an engine swap, I am looking for a 260 block.....

28. Big Swede

Big Swede

I'm staying with my 230 flatty until the urge strikes me to do something different. I'll keep my ears open for one though.

29. 73RR

73RR

Nothing wrong with the 230! And if a bigger L6 strikes your fancy the 250-265 can be fitted with some mods to accommodate the extra 2".

...and thanks for your service.

Big Swede likes this.
  30. Big Swede

Big Swede

Thank you!