Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods NEED HELP ,DEVIN GASSER FOUND

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jabsled, Jul 6, 2014.

1. jabsled

jabsled

Just got this today,has been sitting up on this roof for years.Finaly after 5 years i got it.It used to run from 1954 to 1964 in southern new jersey,trying to find pics of it. 20140706_152227.jpg 20140706_152221.jpg 20140706_152214.jpg 20140706_150528.jpg 20140706_150515.jpg

2. Holy Cow icon_eek.gif I have never seen a Devin built as a Gasser..that must have been a wild looking car. HRP

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. This is the closest thing I could find looking for a Devin Gasser. HRP

[​IMG]

jimmy six and volvobrynk like this.
  4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Back in the day, wasn't there a class for drag racing "sports cars?" Gary

5. OldColt

OldColt

I remember "Sports" like A/SP and "Modified Sports" like A/MSP

sunbeam likes this.
  6. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

I seem to remember something like this from the early '60s with a Fuel Injected 430 Lincoln that was basically a thinly disguised rail with one of these bodies on top : It basically "DESTROYED" AA/MSP at the nationals at ATCO Dragway!! If you can trace it back, you MAY have "The REAL DEAL" : If this is really that vevicle, you have a 'historical' piece that hasn't been seen in years!! There couldn't have been many 'clones', especially in AA/MSP!! Finding it in South New Jersey also reinforces the probability that this is THAT vehicle! Good Luck!

turboroadster and volvobrynk like this.
  7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I remember the drag racing Cobras, Healeys and Vettes, but perhaps they were only production based? Gary

8. bitchin
    put me in line as green with envy
    there is a thread here dedicated to the devin
    tk

9. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

crashfarmer, rod1 and volvobrynk like this.
  10. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Lunati's car was for sale and the hood scoop looks close, plus finding it in So. Jersey. These cars ran M/SP and Altered not Gas. Most had 25% engine set back. And fiberglass bodied cars were not allowed in the Gas classes until around 1968. We never ran against Joe, different eliminator bracket.

Pat

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Your body and the Lunati car look so much alike. Wonder if... Gary

12. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Amazing! So cool...

13. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I cant see them adding the grille to the lunati car later in it's life...

I got bored so i did some looking and here is anouther candidate, but this doesnt appear to have a hood on it in this shot, second picture down. Also the fenders look cut about the same(note how the lunati car still has uncut fenders in the rear and super narrow rearend)It is at conneticut in '65 which fits too

http://www.forum.forgottenfiberglas...=4&t=810&sid=95925d4b18b37a4168b8962c7f71ac7f

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  14. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One thing I notice is the Lunati car does not have dash pods, like the OP's body. Scoop sure looks similar,though. Neat body.

15. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

cool find. how many layers of paint on the body?

16. jabsled

jabsled

From what i can see just the blue.A friend of mine actually knows the old owner of the car,he lives in Florida know.Waiting to hear from him he is said to have a photo album for the whole time he raced the car.

17. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

BUMP : UPDATES/PICTURES??

18. Actually back in the '50s that could not have run as a gasser. Not to start a major controversy. Gassers were American built production cars and not roadsters. it may have run gas roadster or Altered but not gas class. What we know as gassers though '64 was called gas coupe/sedan.

Now as a disclaimer I am going by NHRA rules and there may have been some other sanctioning body that ran anything as a gasser up to and including blown on alcohol.

Never the less it is a neat body and you have got a neat project to build for yourself.

19. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Gas coupe and sedan class back then. no roadsters.

20. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

The numbers etc n the body indicate it ran Modified Sports class.

loudbang likes this.
  21. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

22. rooman

rooman

HRP was the one that called it a gasser and got the discussion headed down that path, the OP simply said that he had purchased the car and as noted by Terry it has AA/MSP painted on the side which dovetails with the hood bulge being cut out for a blower.

Roo

23. AHotRod

AHotRod

Some one, some where around here, knows about the car.

24. sunbeam

sunbeam

Neal Chance of Chance converters used to run one in Modified sports in the 60s.

25. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Refer to #6 : was he the guy with the 430" Lincoln motor, or does he know of/remember the car/racer that was? It was featured in several magazine ads in the time period, & later had a magazine 'write-up', but I don't remember which magazine or the year, just that it was a purpose-built car specifically to qualify as a competitor in that 'AA/MSP' class.

26. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I wonder if that is Joe Lunati of Lunati cams fame?

27. yes

28. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

The cut out for the cage does seem simular to Lunatis.
    800x643xJoe-Lunati-3-Web-Res_jpg_pagespeed_ic_M_Mhmvt69U.jpg

29. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

Awesome score. Hope all the planets line up and you find all the info you need. That had to be one heck of a ride (big kahonnees).

30. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Thank you B.A.King,TMAN, &Junior Stock for your comments that "kicked the old memories into place", as I knew that I remembered it from somewhere!! I almost certain that this car(picture taken from 3/4 left front) 'carrying the frontend' was the magazine advertisement picture for Lunati Cams in the early '60s, & that jabsled has 'scored' on a fantastic find!! WAY TO GO & GOOD ON YOU!!! The only major questions left are : what happened to the rest of the car & are there any Lunati records available that might provide any history on the car, & are you considering a resto/tribute car?