Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead Cam Recomendations

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chop50, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Chop50

Chop50

Building a 8BA for a shoebox, can anyone recommend a good street cam?
    Like a nice sound without losing all of the low end.
    Thanks, Steve

2. flat 39

flat 39

Schneider F260 with steel packed Mellow Tone mufflers.

3. tig master

tig master
    from up north

4. I've always heard Old Hot Rodders saying that they run a 3/4 race cam...(?) is that because they can't run a "Full Race"?

5. Isky Max-1. A little nicer than a stock 8BA cam. Very little rumpity rump, but a good runner. Nice low end. Here's a short youtube video of mine running with a Isky Max-1. http://youtu.be/qJ8MxuuQ32k
    Sorry the sound sucks a bit...may not be too much help.

6. Every old guy I run into says to run a 3/4 race. I would love to have a little more at the top end too.

7. Max 1 was recommended to me, recommender said any more and you got discomfort in traffic, and around parking lots.

8. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i was like most young guys and "overcammed" my 49 coupe with a 400 jr. what i had was no driveability around town, but at speeds over 40 mph, it ran like a striped ape. take my advice and go with a max 1 or something similar.

9. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Yeah the max 1 was recommended here also :mad:
    It’s one of the worst choices iv ever made … great if you like the sound of a stocker.

Flatheads make tons of low end torque no matter what … put a big cam in if you want it to sound good.

10. 29tudor

29tudor

Anyone have a video of their flathead with a Schneider 260f .355 lift? And does this cam lift clear stock 52 ford (eab) heads?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I've ran the 400jr. In a few cars and been really happy with it ...I had a 32 coupe with a tall 3.00:1 gear and 39 trans... Had very good city manners ... And pulled really hard on the on ramps!... I could finally keep up with traffic..

dan c likes this.
  12. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

1007B grind, just not the one Isky sells. Get one from a grinder like Pete or Delta someone like that.

13. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

I have run a Delta clone of a schnieder 280-f for four years now on the street. .425 lift requires head work. This is a sweet street cam actually made for supercharging it has not a lot of overlap. I am now mildly supercharged and get 15-16 mpg with Q-jet on top. I do mostly putsy putsy around town. The machine also sounds great with out the rump rump.

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Schneider has a small range, top dollar. Best grinds I ever ran were:
    1. Potvin 425 (kinda hairy for the street)
    2. Weber F-1, F-2. (lumpy, but strong and reactive)
    3. Howard's M-8 and M-14. (very fast rev, lumpy idle)
    4. Clay Smith 3/4 street grind. (STILL available, and reasonably priced: $145! Your core)

15. Isky Max-1 for me too...

16. banjorear

banjorear

Hi Steve:

Picking a cam can be a make or break situation. In order to help you with the right sellection, we need more information.

What induction, what heads, what trans., what bore size, what stroke, what rear end ratio?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  17. Flathead Coupe

Flathead Coupe

Stop talking and lets hear em….. Here is a Potvin 3/8 (.375 lift) running in an 8BA

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    Scotty's Garage! likes this.
  18. fairlane 63

fairlane 63
    from NO.DAK.

I have a 3/4 potvin in mine runs and sounds good

19. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unless you have a lot of experience, I suggest anyone that wants to modify a flathead Ford for maximum street performance, buy a book written by John W. Lawson called "Flathead Facts". What he has done has gradually built up a couple of flatheads by trying different combinations of parts, first singly and then in various combinations and then runs the engines on a dyno and records the results. The results really opened up my eyes. I'll skip the drama and give the cam conclusion : the Max-1? not the best; for a mild street engine, the best cam will really surprise most people.

If you have a lot of money, then also buy one of Joe Abbins' books about supercharged flatheads. He also does he same with progressive builds on the dyno.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  20. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

1007B grind by Delta in a 274 8BA Pulls HARD low end and midrange.

21. buflochp

buflochp
    from Minnesota

22. walter

walter

400 Jr Sounds grate!!!

23. Flathead Coupe

Flathead Coupe

Here is a real wicked cam….
    I just had to post this …. I found this on YouTube a few years ago
    One of the best sounding flatheads ever
    Running a Winfield SU 1R cam
    and running 58% Methanol, 20% Nitro, 20% Gas & 2% Castro Oil

24. 38 coupe

38 coupe
    from Texas

FlatJan likes this.
  25. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With most engines, you can chose a cam for power, driveability, or "the sound". For a a mild flathead, you get only two choices; guess which two?

26. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Exactly! It won't sound as mean when a kid on a bicycle can out run you for the first 1/2 block because you are way over cammed for the street. I ask Pete for a cam recommendation that would be Driveable and pull the gear I was running, that's how I ended up with that 1007B grind. It was exactly what I needed too, pulls good on bottom and it pulls very good on midrange 99% of flathead built won't need a top end cam for the street.

27. Flathead Coupe

Flathead Coupe

I really don't know why you think a cam can't sound great and perform on the street just as great!!
    Smoking a Posi all the way down the street , same cam as above......

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  28. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

On a Stock Flathead, use Max1 or similar. But I would suggest that you do a porting job on it, then get some New heads and dual intake. Then you have several Choices when it comes to cam selection:) I used to have an Isky 77B in my shoebox. 276cid Width Edelbrock heads and dual intake. Mallory dual point and headers. Ran really good from idle and all the way up...:)

/K

Taildragger&fenderless

29. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

They can sound good, although I wouldn't pick a cam based off of what they sound like. I doubt the cam in your flatty will act exactly the same in his flatty without knowing the rest of the build specs and gear/trans ratios, then add that its going into a shoebox that is most likely quite a bit heavier than your coupe looks to be. Instead I would suggest (and this is only my opinion) getting a recommendation from a cam grinder like Pete1 or Schnieder ETC... with all things considered in the grind. When I asked Pete for a cam grind I wasnt concerned what it would sound like. I asked for a grind that would WORK well for the street, pull good on bottom end and cruise well at 2000-2400 RPM to work with my 3.12 rear gear and 31"tires. As I understand it Pete has been grinding cams and winning at Bonneville since the 50's. As it turned out it sounded pretty good too.