Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question about fade-away fenders........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HeX, Jan 10, 2006.

1. HeX

HeX

OK, let me preface this by saying that I am sorta new to customs and hence my custom lingo aint great just yet, so please be patient and speak to me like I'm a 4 year old...........

I am looking for some info on fade-away fenders.............Specifically, where the fender fade-away on the door meets the front fender, how do they NOT rub against the front fender when they are opened? Since you are building the door out at the bottom several inches, how does this not hinder the door from opening without any rubbing?

I hope that that makes sense.................

Any help would be great....

Thanks in advance.

Tim

2. Ron

Ron

Here are a couple pix of the fender extensions on the door of 46/48 Chevy. Hope that helps.

Attached Files:

3. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

A properly designed door hinge will make the door move in the correct arc to keep it from hitting anything at the front.

Go open the door on any fat fendered car and take a look at the way it moves. :cool:

4. Your parent/guardian should be prosecuted for allowing you log onto the HAMB.;)

5. HeX

HeX

So, do most people replace the hinges? Can stok hinges be used? I am thinking of some fade-aways on my '47...............

Thanks again.

Tim

6. HeX

HeX

Ron:

Did your Chevy use the stock hinges? Are those the fenders or the doors? Sorry, but I'm not sure from the pics..............

Thanks.

Tim

7. Scott B

Scott B
    from Colorado?

Don't be so hard on the boy.

Fade away fenders are sooo cute. Who likes the fade away fenders? Ooh, Hex does, that's who. Oh, look at the fenders. Look at the cute fenders...

I don't have kids yet, so that is my best effort to talk to you like a 4 year old, Hex. The pics above show what is going on. The front edge of the fender kind of tucks into the front fender, as the door opens.

Those are stock hinges, I would guess. That bit of fender is on the door.

8. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

you use the stock hinges,,,,you have to cut an arch into the front fender so the door has someplace to go,,,look at the pictures of gil ayalas car on your other post....it would be easier for you if you could find a set of buick factory fadeaway pieces (42-47),,,you could adapt them to your car,,,certainly a lot easier than fabricating them from scratch,,,but GOOD LUCK finding a set,,,i've been looking for months...

9. HeX

HeX

Thanks! The second set of '42-'47 buick fade-away pieces that I find are all yours................hahaha............................

Tim

10. mikes51

mikes51

Yes, it is tricky. The fadeaway moves inside the fender but look right at where the top of the fadeaway meets the front of door. That part does some wierd dip so it doesn't crash into the fender.

11. HeX

HeX

I don't know that I am following..............

12. sawzall

sawzall

tim

hinges should be ok.. remember. your going to do as much work to the fender as the door to make the extensions work..

heres a pic of the trailing edge of my olds front fender.. I was trying to get a shot of something else but this pretty much sums yup what has to happen..

[​IMG]

essentially the fender's rear edge prodtrudes out beyond where the rear of the fender attaches to the cowl.. this allows the fender extension (in my case) or the fadeaway in your case.. to turn INTo and actually open into the body..

fittup of this area is TOUGH.. too wide and it looks like shit.. too tight and it looks the same.. (and you rub paint)

look through my other albums of the woodie maybe you can find a shot that better explains whats happening. this is just the first photo I found

jeff

13. HeX

HeX

So, in a sense it overlaps? If you were to draw a plane that was perpendicular to the plane where the front fender attaches to the body the outer edge (the one furthest away from the car - not where it attaches to the car) is not in line; laps into the plane of the door? So, the door extension actually starts a little further back on the door... not at the beginning of the door - at it's furthest point away (not where it attaches to the door)???

It's tough to put into words........................But if that makes any sense is that right?

14. mikes51

mikes51

[​IMG]

Look at the joint where the 3 gaps meet. The top of the fadeaway is just slightly lower than the fender. It looks like the fadeaway is off, too low right there, but it needs to be to swing under.

In reference to your last question, no, it's the opposite. If the hinge is further forward than the fadeaway, then the fadeaway will swing away from the center of the car. You want it to swing immediately inwards to get inside the fender.

15. sawzall

sawzall

mike is correct on all three accounts..

tim you might want to get out and take a look at a 46- 48 gm car.. so you can get a better idea before you progress.. even a junker would help you "see" how it goes together..

somebody down your was has GOT to have one..

16. HeX

HeX

The pic helped A LOT!

What Mike said is almost what I was thinking.......just wasn't able to put it into words....................

Thanks again, fellas....................

Tim