Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Adjusting Soild lifters 392 Hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by concreteman, Jul 3, 2014.

1. concreteman

concreteman

I cant figure out how to look into past threads - does anyone have any tips for adjusting solid lifters in a 392 Hemi - stock 1957 adjustable rockers
    Thanks

2. Mark your balancer every 90degrees. Turn engine over watching number one cylinder.After the intake valve opens then starts to close put a spare push rod or similiar item down the spark plug hole. As you turn the engine by hand when the piston pushes the tod all the way up look at the balancer. You should be close to tdc. Turn the engine slowly to line up the marks. Always turn the engine as it would run.Adjust intake and exhaust. The threads on the adjusters are very fine thread. Dont go crazy they will break. Repeat the process 7more time. Marking the balancer every 90 saves alot of time doing the valves.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. concreteman

concreteman

Thanks - so all valves are set at tdc - and the 90 degree

4. There's a bit more to it.
    TDC comes around twice per engine cycle. One is on compression stroke & both valves are closed and thats the one you want - and the other is on overlap where both valves are open slightly. If you were to set the valves on overlap TDC they will be way too loose.

There's got to be couple hundred threads on this. Search with google - try Hamb hemi valve adjustment.

5. No disrespect ment but for a new guy that really don't know anything this prior info is to much and plain confusing. Just simply turn the motor normal rotation until you see the Exhaust valve just start to Open and then adjust the same Cyl Intake valve to factory spec. Then continue to rotate the motor until the Intake Valve just starts to Close and adjust the same cyl Exhaust valve. Repeat on the other 7 cyl. Compression stroke, fireing order or timing degrees does not need to apply in this method. It will be correct at all times on all V-8 motors no matter what cam your running.
    The Wizzard

BJR, Truckedup and saltflats like this.
  6. if you do it our way it is faster and easier once you do it a few times. also if this is a new engine or had the rockers off i adjust them twice. if the engine has any kind of valve springs the cam can flex after the first side is done. sure its only a few thou. but were anal about the lash. there is a cool tool to tighten the jam nuts. its a pre set inch pound torque wrench with a hole down the middle to adj. the lash. no chance of stripping threads this way. have a spare adj and nut laying around as a spare. when you need one you won't find one. i have a spare if you need it. i don't need it any more. i put roller missiles on from hot heads.

7. concreteman

concreteman

Thanks racer - used your method today - worked great
    Thanks Chris

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. What Pist-n-broke said! Intake open, exhaust closed. Exhaust open, Intake closed.

9. glad it worked out for you.

10. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

For years I used the TDC method and it seemed to work OK. But most cam companies now recommend the method supplied by Pist-n broke. More times to turn engine, cause it requires 16 settings rather than 8, but I'm thinking the guys who designed and ground the cam know more than I.

Truckedup likes this.
  11. Mopar has a lash chart in the form of a fire wall sticker. It has you setting the lash doing a intake and exhaust on differant cylinders. By the time you roll it over eight times its done. This may be the best way to do it. The way i do it works on the niro engines i work on so it cant be that bad. Its just what guys are used to.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  12. Hey fellas, I've scoured the internet and this forum. See allot of procedures, for 392 valve adjustment, but no actual number specification, in thousands of an inch.
    Working on a 1958 392

13. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

You can just bump it over and when the intake just starts to come up adjust the exhaust, when the exhaust just starts to go down adjust the intake. It works on everything.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  14. Fordors

Fordors

Assuming you are working with the stock ‘58 392 solid cam the lash is
    IN .015/ EX .024 hot.

15. Hey Brian,
    Is this the decal you are referring to ?
    Lol,,,,I’ve had it on my work cabinet door for many years .
    It works for all V8 engines,,,Mopar ,,or otherwise,,,with a 18436572 firing order .
    Tommy
    A483308B-FA4D-433E-8D79-860C1D4C9772.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    racer-x likes this.
  16. At one time I ordered a lot of parts from Monicatti Chrysler Jeep in Sterling Heights , Michigan.
    Kevin Moore was the guy I knew,,,he always took good care of me .
    I met him at the Mopar Nationals,,,,,great guy,,,,he was always a gracious host .
    I remember his sons as well,,,they were always at the Nats too ,,,,good kids !

Monicatti gave 30% off racers net,,,,,it was the best deal anywhere,,,I spent a lot of money with them .
    On one occasion,, I bought a complete set of Hemi Stainless roller rockers and stands,,shafts .
    The UPS guy was always asking what I was getting in,,,LoL.
    Those were good days !

Tommy

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021