Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Body and Paint Guys: Anyone have an opinion on C.A. Technologies guns?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barsteel, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Hello!

I've done more than few painting projects, and I've been using the HF purple, and their newest "Pro Quality" HVLP gun. I've gotten decent, but not perfect, results with both, but, to me, their performance seems inconsistent, and the controls (spray pattern and pressure) don't seem to be that responsive. I've decided to look into a name brand, high quality spray gun. I started researching different manufacturers, and while the same names seem to pop up as the "Cadillac" of guns (Sata), others seem to have some pretty good reviews as well, at less than half the price (mainly DeVillbiss).

After doing some more reading, one name keeps coming up as a brand that delivers "German gun" performance at less than half the price, and that gun is from C.A. Technologies. Here's a link to some of their guns.

http://www.finishsystems.com/cathvlpsprayguns.html

Yes, I realize that at the end of the day, finish quality depends on a number of factors (operator skill being a big part), so I don't expect a gun to make me the world's best painter, but I do want a gun that will allow me a high degree of control when I'm laying out material, so I can eliminate the gun as a cause of poor results.

Anyone have any experience with C.A. Technology's guns? They're made in the U.S.A., and they seem to know what they're talking about.

Thanks...

Chris

2. dogwalkin

dogwalkin
    from tn

I have been selling c.a. guns for about ten years. They make excellent products and some improvement parts for other guns. You won't. Be disappointed.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Dog -

Thanks for the response.

Any thoughts on which gun is the "best" for automotive painting (yes, I know that best is subjective)? Based on the website's description above, it seems like the Jaguar J300C gun would be the most suitable gun for automotive paint, but the CPR Gravity Gun seems that it would be suitable for automotive.

Any thoughts? (sure, sell me a gun :) ).

Chris

4. THE SURGEON

THE SURGEON

I use Sata. A 4000 hvlp for base and an RP for clear. All around I feel they are the best I'm sure plenty others would agree.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. where are they made?

6. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

7. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

C.A Technologies guns are U.S. made...Sata is german...

8. indyjps

indyjps

never heard of CA Technologies, I'll read up on them. I stepped up to a Sharpe gun in the 90's and shot a lot of single stage thru it (a lot considering I'm not a pro painter). I recently bought the 3 gun devilbiss set but haven't gotten a chance to try them. The difference between these entry level guns and the HF is worth the money. I still use HF guns for industrial enamel (rustoleum) type stuff and polyurethane wood finishes.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  9. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Spray guns seem to be a very volatile issue, like paint brands, car brand loyalty, etc. Everyone has their own opinion, and are usually passionate about it!
    Now, a good painter will be able to lay down a good paint job with a great gun, a good gun, probably even a lousy gun, while a beginner can make a mess, even with the best gun. But it IS easier for a beginner to learn how to do a good job , with at least, a decent gun. Cheap guns are notoriously difficult to adjust correctly, and keep adjusted right, and a beginner will NOT know if it has gone out of adjustment while shooting. Never mind troubleshooting a problem with the gun, even in the set-up of it.
    Personally, I do lots of custom paint, Candy, Pearls, and I prefer a Sata for colors, and I've been using a new Iwata LPH-400 for clear, and I love it! I use a Devilbiss Finishline, with a 2.0 tip for primers ( and some large flake work). The Devilbiss is very affordable, and a good quality gun, I got mine from smartshoppers.com for under 100$. AND you can get it with changeable tips, so you can use it for primer, single stage, base and clear! Highly recommended!

10. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

telling our secrets.... :cool:

11. Shakedown St.

Shakedown St.
    from Boston, MA

This old thread the only place I could find CAT guns, very rarely mentioned. CA-Technologies is a a company offshoot of Binks high quality line like Tekna is to Devilbiss. They make very high quality HVLP guns, but I never see any automotive painters using them. They are mostly used by industrial workers and woodworkers.

I'm torn between a Jaguar from CAT or buying a Tekna Prolite. My concern is that there is more support for Tekna both for warranties, places that can service them, and general knowledge.

Both guns are USA made. Both are similar priced around $500-600 in 2019. I've shot with a Tekna Prolite and love that line for base and even clear. I may very well buy one instead of taking the risk.

CAT website:

"The Jaguar 300H is a fine finish HVLP air spray gun for achieving the ultimate in fine atomization. Designed for production use, the J300 HVLP is perfect for wood, automotive or any fine finish application. This gun offers the user a self adjusting needle, packing, air adjusting valve, lightweight and rugged construction. The Jaguar guns come with all stainless steel fluid passages and incorporate our 12-point plenum design. This patented design delivers smaller, more uniform material particles providing for an even, flat finish. This gun complies with all environmental regulations."

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  12. Shakedown St.

Shakedown St.
    from Boston, MA

I’ve been doing research on them for awhile. I just confirmed that Binks employees built CA-Technoligies. CAT guns are the Binks M1-G that are being sold with a variety of tips.

9F117DE3-B6C7-46AA-9BA5-E4D79BAB87C3.jpeg

7E194E12-5880-49F4-95C2-80A33CE5D47C.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  13. I still have a binks 7 i use for single stage, and i have 4 devilbiss finishline hvlp guns for topcoat. I have a devilbiss siphon cup gun that i use for primer. Guess I've always been a devilbiss fan. It's all about what you're comfortable with