Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Ohio people...Bob's Speed ? Old shop from the 60's?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PBRmeASAP, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Sent in my stamped number off my 6-71 2 port hilborn injection to see where it came from. Customer is listed as Bob's Speed (Ohio) date sold 1-17-61 Was to go on a 348.
    Just wondering in anyone remembers the place, pics?

Trying to stumble threw the new hamb, did find this info in a search...but i'm not great at searching....

"Beach Performance
    10960 Johnstown Road
    New Albany, OH 43054-9604
    614-855-2143

Bob Beach owner-heard he's the best in town
    He's been machining longer than I've been alive and has plenty of early hemi experience
    took me half an hour on the interweb to get his number! Nice guy, wants $50 to mag and inspect my vortechs which sounds great, he gets the job."

Could this be the guy?
    Any help would be appreciated

2. Not trying to be a smart ass or maybe I missed something but, why didn't you ask Bob Beach when you talked to him? Let's see some pics. W motor are cool as hell and ya never see them with a Hilborn set up. What are you putting it in?

3. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bobs Speed Shop was owned by Bob Kyle. First in Hamilton, Ohio, then in Fairfield, Ohio. Then retired to Somerset, Ky. and has since passed. Very nice gentleman and local racer at Beechmont, Edgewater, Tri State, Kil Kare, Thorn Hill, and other local tracks.

4. Jade, All Hilborn injections have a stamped number on them, and Hilborn keeps record of who they sold it to and what they build it for. The info i got was from hilborn. Just wondering if anyone remembers "bob's speed' as that was who purchased it in '61

5. Bob is also known for his weakness in show tractors, he built an engine for me a few years back....he's a no bullshit guy, stands behind his work...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  6. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

wow! I remember Bob's, that's been a long time ago

7. mikegt4

mikegt4
    from SW Ohio

I remember Bob's Speed shop very well. IIRC, he sold his property to Mike Devers when Devers opened his first Toyota dealership in the late 1960's. I cleaned Devers' newly opened Toyota showroom at night for a while while I was in college. I think Bob started a Bass boat dealership across the street after he closed his shop. Bob was definitely a nice guy.
    My son worked at Performance Honda which sits right about where Bob's shop/house was. Last year he talked to Mr. Devers about me and Bob's Speed shop, Mr. Devers didn't remember me but he did remember Bob. Mr. Devers let my son ride in a Lexus LFA which made my son VERY happy.

8. MMcGee

MMcGee

9. MMcGee

MMcGee

Bob Kyle was my uncle. His wife, and my father's sister, Martha, originally resided on Chestnut St in Hamilton before moving to Fairfield. I remember he and his buddies building dragsters in the garage on Chestnut St. He belonged to The Shafters Hot Rod Club. He also owned a Marathon gas station, Bob's Speed Shop which ended up in Fairfield, then the boat business.

Uncle Bob also enjoyed the car shows, selling patches and decals. I still recall that scratchy angel hair spread out around the cars to look like clouds, those revolving color wheel lights, and Stanley Mouse who air brushed his art on sweat shirts. My sister and I built the Rat Fink model cars like thousands of other kids, too.

Uncle Bob liked to fish, too. He had a great sense of humor and he really loved cars. I remember his taking me to school at Harding Jr. High in the 60's in his Corvette. To this day, when I see a classic car I smile.

I would appreciate learning of any memorabilia, photos, etc. from anyone who might have something to share from The Shafters when Uncle Bob was a member. Thank you.

enloe likes this.
  10. Your Uncle sounds like a great man...left you with some great memories too..

11. krkyle

krkyle

Bob was my dad. He remained in Fairfield until he passed in 2007.

12. krkyle

krkyle

My dad, Bob Kyle, owned Bob's Speed Shop on Dixie Hwy in Fairfield. An old concrete block building. About 1973-74, he built the boat dealership across the street but still sold auto parts. The Toyota dealership may have bought the land the old shop was on. We did not live on the property. In the mid- to late- 80's he sold the boat dealership to Bruce Cunagin. I have no clue who owns it now but the name is still Fairfield Marine and it looks the same as when Dad owned it. And, yes, he was a cool guy. Also, a redhead with a temper. LOL RIP Dad xoxo

harpo1313 likes this.
  13. krkyle

krkyle

Hey cuz! I've got pics. I have Dad's embroidered jacket from the Shafters Club too. I still have the sweatshirt Mouse airbrushed for me too! Has me and the brat in Dad's Vette! It's sooo little! lol I miss you Dad xo ~kel

harpo1313 likes this.
  14. krkyle

krkyle

If you are wanting to find out about Bob Kyle, Bob's Speed Shop in Fairfield OH ... then I'm your gal. Bob was my Dad. I have plenty of pics of the old Marathon station in Hamilton, some of the old speed shop on Dixie Hwy in Fairfield as well as the boat shop that he built and moved into across from the old shop. I have pics from the old dragster and sprint car racing days too. Dad passed away in 2007, still lived in the house we grew up in, and still had his sharp sense of humor (thanks for mine, Dad). Also, I still miss him every day. ~krk

PBRmeASAP and harpo1313 like this.

15. KRK,
    is there anyway of posting the pics? So neat to have the old car parts and maybe find out where they came from. If you can post them here that would be great, if not i'll send you my email and i'll get them posted here for everyone to enjoy.
    Thanks for responding,