Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Voice your opinion on a color.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jim636, Jul 2, 2014.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

I think a blue and some scallops.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My vote is with gloss paint no matter what the color. Flat paint ends up looking like the tinted primer you see < on my truck after a short while and although some Satin paint looks good it starts looking tired to me after a couple of years. Remember those old customs in the black and white photos in the old magazines were actually very shiny old customs. It's the printing process for those magazines that made them all look satin or flat painted.

4. Squablow

Squablow

My girlfriend picked two tone green for her '51, this is what it looks like. It's flat, or satin or whatever you want to call it. That's what she wanted and that's what she got. I like it, although it's not real traditional to have that finish on it.

IMG_20140601_113420.jpg

Damn, never saw that pic before! Gonna have to show it to Rachel.

5. My opinion? flat anything looks unfinished and temporary.

i.rant and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. I'm a great believer in gloss paint, no matter what period you are trying to emulate. Think of all the great custom builders and custom painters of yester-year, they didn't get famous by leaving their work in primer!!!!!!!!!

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

:)
    Oh oh, I see some clear coat and long bar lancers in your future!:)

8. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

car looks too straight and smooth to put flat paint on it, paint it with a shine and you'll be glad you did in the long run.

9. loudbang

loudbang

Shiny Pontiac root beer brown.

10. ...............................Now I think you're beginning to see the light.:D

11. slowmotion

slowmotion

Hard to argue that gold, damn that's sharp.

12. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Choose a color you can live with,just make it shine.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. clem

clem

I don't get the whole satin/primer thing ! But those gloss gold ones are nice!!!!!

14. oldgrease

oldgrease
    from Alabama

to me picking a color is harder than the build. it always gets me. im at that stage of the build again (67 c10) and having a hard time deciding shinny/satin and then color. GOOD LUCK!

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Mile deep GLOSS BLACK if your bodywork is good enough for it. Bob

16. disturbio

disturbio

Scion Lexus cement grey..... Unique color, just a tad of metalflake

I get asked about the color on my caddy twice a day. My 2 cents

Attached Files:

BORRACHO13 likes this.
  17. periwinkle
    I have no idea what that looks like but I like the name. :D

I'm with HRP if you must go flat go with black. But let me expound, by black I mean black and not charcoal. I see a lit of "flat black" that is charcoal and not black at all. Charcoal is actually a gray. If you go with a base coat clear coat and shoot your clear over black with flattener in the clear you will get black, or jump on a color like John Deer Blitz Black which is a true black and not a charcoal.

By the way there is an added benefit to the blitz black, when you decide to put on your big boy pants and build a real custom it can be polished out.

disturbio likes this.
  18. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

Another vote for gloss black.
    Looks like you have put countless hours into the body on that thing. No need to take away from that with a flat paint job. Car looks bad ass by the way.

When I was growing up my Dad always told me. "Son, there is only two colors when is comes to cars... That's black and ugly!"

19. Here are some traditional custom paint jobs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Check out Dan Greenberg's thread on the Custom Car Revival...http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-the-way-cool-2014-custom-car-revival.929273/

REAL "Traditional" customs are shiny...out of 172 cars at the CCR, I can recall only 3 that were in 'flat' or 'primer'...back when I was growing up, primer was simply used to cover body work while saving part-time job money for a gallon of lacquer paint (and reducer) for less than $50.00. Of course, gas was only 19 cents a gallon too...!!!

R-

21. Zenbone

Zenbone

Rootbeer with a touch of metal flake, beige trim/accent color

loudbang likes this.
  22. slowmotion

slowmotion

It's the rare occasion that I'm on the complete opposite side of the fence than Beano (or HRP for that matter). I just don't see flat black doing a damn thing for that style of car. What a waste of time & labor not to let the curvey curves of that ride stand out with something with a sheen on it. If it's gotta be satin or flat, at least give it something light like the gold or bronze or what ever, to give those beautiful lines a chance at least. For gawds sake man, look at those examples that OL 55 posted, I rest my case. :D

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Completely agree.. If that car is ready for paint, paint it!

24. Gloss Black! Red & white interior, some tasteful pin striping on the outside and dash. You Asked!

25. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

I would say my car is a traditional custom. It's gloss black with blue pearl flames and all gloss!

26. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

Flat paint has been here in every decade since I was born and before and still here in 2014, so if anything carries the title of traditional, than flat paint does. The colors are infinite and really can only be best decided on by you. The feeling of the build, quality of work and what colors went thru your mind during the build. I have one car in flat (love it) one in gloss and one still in the build stage and it will go gloss two tone because that is what I see. The color for this build is undecided until I see the quality of my body work.

27. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

I had a 54 Chev rad custom that caught fire & got totaled. I had a local shop do a lot of work on it over the years. I decided I wanted to get another 40 Ford so I was telling the shop owner about what I was looking for. His 1st piece of advice; stay away from flat black cuz its good at hiding flaws. If you want to show off the body, paint it gloss. My avatar shows off the black gloss on my 40 Ford sedan.

28. If you're set on a flattened colour, my friend Darren's Studebaker has the Hot Rod Flatz Burgundy and it suits the round body style well in my opinion... DarrenStud.jpg

29. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I would use something in the Marina Blue look for a custom.

Even thought it's your car today someday it will be someone else car so select a color with that in mind.

I see guys spending years building their dream car and then they shot some color that they may love but trying to sell just might be a problem someday.

Just my opinion. Jimbo

Jim636 likes this.
  30. slowmotion

slowmotion

I'll be damned if I'd paint a car with the intentions of what some future owner down the road might like. Especially if it's not immediately for resale. That's eff'n nuts. I do understand what your saying, but let them pick a color when it's their car.

Jim636 likes this.