Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC 350 Belt Alternator belt issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clint86, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The narrower belt also rides lower in the crank pulley, so the smaller effective diameter there negates the smaller effective diameter of the water pump pulley. If the crank pulleys and water pump pulleys were of significant different diameters there may be an issue, but in this case they look to be nearly the same diameter. And I would think you'd hear slight squealing long before any belts were torn up.

2. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

Oldcars.acadia's theory makes perfect sense. I'd change that wider belt to match your alternator belt, after revisiting the pulley alignment. My guess is that you'll solve your problem. (Well, OK...it's only my 2 cent guess, but it's what I would do). Good luck.

Wayne

3. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Gotta go with the belt theory. Going by the number on the wide belt, at .53", it's a little over 3/16" wider than the most likely .44" belt that should be on there.

4. Adjust your alt. bkt to be in better alignment. Spacer looks a bit too thick at the water pump. Causing the alt. to be a bit "twisted"on the belt. You can see it in the video. (or I can anyway) Also in your first pic looking down from the alt. to the water pump I can see the belt leaning more to one side of the water pump pulley. (indicating misalignment between the two.)
    -Pat

5. Clint86

Clint86

You sir, are a genius. I never would have thought of such a simple way to check alignment. Thank you.

Ok, I cede to more knowledgable and experienced opinions, I'll see about changing the belt for the power steering.

I will take your word for it that the pulleys are off, my eyes need some calibrating apparently. Might have to go back to the old pulleys and just clean them up a bit.

Got my work cut out for me this weekend, I'll let you know how everything turns out. And probably pick your brains for other issues that keep popping up.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. neatoldclassics

neatoldclassics
    from Montana

I agree with Ebbsspeed there is a twist to the alternator it should be twisted back slightly towards the passenger side and twisted forwards on the drivers side. let us know when you try all of the suggestions.

7. Clint86

Clint86

Alright, sorry it took so long to get back to y'all. I spaced out the whole alternator assembly (brackets and all) a washers width. I have yet to get to replacing the P/S belt, it's on the list of "things to do". Anyway, sounds better, squeals a bit yet, might be because it's the same belt still? Tell me what you think.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1404342807.712365.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1404342822.431224.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1404342847.481947.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1404342857.615835.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1404342876.029232.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1404342886.319748.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

looks to be still riding harder on one side of the alt and wp pulley-may be an illusion

9. derpr

derpr

that's a big block alternor bracket. Thats why you need those spacers on your water pump.

10. junior 1957

junior 1957

the crank pulley does not match the water pulley, the crank pulley has a different diameter between the alternator and the power steering grooves, the water pump pulley the two grooves are the same diameter, the crank is trying to spin the water pump pulley at two different speeds....

11. junior 1957

junior 1957

if the crank pulley has two different diameters, the water pump pulley has to have them as well, thats causing the belt squealing in the video

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  12. opunui

opunui
    from Honolulu

put a straight edge across the faces of your pulleys to check for alignment.