Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration When do you just buy new??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cosmo, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Or, when do you just order a new part?? :)

This morning, I rebuilt the front brake light switch for my '83 GoldWing.

Then I built a couple wood boxes to display old sewing machines. This is a sideline, and the boxes are fairly high-end stuff.

Later, I R&R'd the right front caliper on my daughter's Toyota.

The only trip to the parts store was to order a rebuild kit for the carby on my '64 Econoline P/U truck.

Is there anyone else out there as obsessed with repair rather than replacement??

Cosmo

P.S. Still need a four speed trans suitable for a 170 Ford six.

2. squirrel

squirrel

Depends what I feel like doing that day...and how far gone the part is. And the quality, cost, and availability of the replacement part. A few days ago I repaired a door jamb switch on my 55, rather than buying a new one. I like old cars because you actually can repair a lot of the parts on them.

3. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I rarely buy something new if I can fix it.
    I often make improvements in the process.

When the fuse blew on the mainboard of our old TV I replaced it, but I used an external panel-mount fuse holder, so I won't have to tear the TV down again if it blows.

When I bought a new TV too big for my entertainment center, I widened the cabinet by adding 8 more speaker boxes. :D

I've fixed & modded more broken computers than I can remember.

4. daddylama

daddylama

I repair if possible.

occasionally for an off topic car I'll grab the parts house rebuilt master cylinder or something, if it means a quick/cheap fix so I can spend what time I do have working on shit I like.

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Always repair. Or make a new part. I can weld!
    Very seldom buy something 'new'...unless it's something in a Moog box...then I get analytical, and pessimistic.

6. I just bought a rebuilt master cylinder for my project. I needed the 61 chev truck double brake/clutch cylinder, so I could have scoured junkyards, or take a trip to the parts house. I chose the parts house as I would guess any thing I bought from the junkyard would need a rebuild anyway. Just seemed like less hassle to go "new" this time.
    Most of the time I use junkyard parts and rebuild/repair as necessary.

7. Me, today, I had to either buy a power window master switch, or rebuild.

I rebuilt. Unsoldered the switch, took it apart, cleaned and reassembled. Saved $250. And got to thumb my nose yet again at the "replace, not repair" culture. Even though most would say that that specific switch was definitely not repairable.

And then there was the broken kitchen drawer: made a copy using old pallet wood (oak). Box joints on the corners for extra strength.

Cosmo

loudbang and Max Gearhead like this.
  8. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I won't buy anything new unless it's a last resort. I'd probably buy more new parts if the quality were better, but I just can't can't see spending money for something might be so bad as to end up either totally rebuilt of dumped in the trash.
    Most of the time when I plop down $$$$ for something, regardless of price or how simple or complex the part might be, I get crap.

I just went through tree flashers from NAPA before I got one that worked:eek:

I'm on my third vega steering box between two different cars. Model A is on it's second box and my '36 is apart now to replace the crappy, expensive, Vega box with the old rebuilt '36 box....after only about 5,000 miles!

Rebuild, fix, fabricate whenever possible. After all, that's what Hot Rodding is all about.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  9. silent rick

silent rick

i have speedway on speed dial

10. When you are fed up with trying to reinvent the wheel. :D HRP

11. buy new is my last resort;
    1, find problem
    2, take part apart and try to fix
    3, if it can't be fixed look through stock pile for replacement
    4, no replacement, look through stock pile for something that might work
    5, call other local "scroungers" for replacement or something that will work
    6, buy a new part....bitch about the quality and price.
    7, make new part fit
    8, make new part work correctly.
    9, hoard said part in future, when found at flea markets swop meets.

12. stimpy

stimpy

I try to only buy new when it too fubared to be rebuilt , or I cannot make a suitable replacement . or when the person I am working ons car is a PITA and I do not want to hear about any problems ...

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Lots of variables. Cost, availability of new part, time involved to repair. It just depends on the item or part.

14. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

Sometimes time is money. If u dont have the time to hunt/fix/alter/make work. Sometimes its just easier. Also depends what the thing is.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I usually choose to rebuild the part. In the process of the rebuild, I can be guaranteed to break the part to the point of no return. Than I make the call to rock auto or napa.

I used to learn from breaking the part the first time and fix it correctly the second try. Now I just forget what I did wrong the first time and repeat it the second time.

Neal

loudbang likes this.
  16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First-line safety equipment.

17. Take a look at what the guys in Cuba have done over the last 50 years to keep this old stuff going. Actually fixing stuff is a dying talent in a world where replacement parts are readily available - most would never think that things like master cylinders, wheel cylinders, starters, alternators are rebuildable on their own bench. Fuck, spark plugs used to be rebuildable

18. Yes, they did!! And, outside of the HAMB (where probably 2-300 guys know that), 5 people know that spark plugs used to be able to be disassembled into component parts.

19. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've found the quality of new parts to be so poor that I try to rebuild most the time, or buy rebuilt local parts. I was going to rebuild the wheel cylinders on the rear axle of one car. I saw the kits were $1.75, and new wheel cylinders were only about $5, so figured I'd save some time. What a mistake! Pure junk that I never got a line to seal without seepage. I ended up digging the old wheel cylinders out of my scrap bin, and tossing the new ones in!

20. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

X 2 :)

I usually break one in the process and learn how it works but also learn the easiest way to do it next time.

21. indyjps

indyjps

I often buy new to maximize my time, if I know I have all the required parts, or I don't have much history with the vehicle, I can complete the project quickly, and return what I don't end up using.

22. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Sometimes you just gotta draw a line and admit that something can't be fixed, or that if you do fix it, it will look and perform like something that Red Green did.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  23. Some things you rebuild because you cannot buy them new, other things you rebuild because it is more economical or for nostalgic reasons.

There was a time when I always rebuilt master cylinders because it was cheap and easy. They do reach a point that they cannot be rebuilt. Then one Saturday I went to the autoparts to buy a kit for a Chevy master, the rebuilt master with a one year guarantee was a dollar more then the kit. I took the rebuilt home with me, my time is worth more then that. I still rebuild the masters and calipers on my bike they are obsolete and it is cheaper to rebuild than to replace.

24. I have yet to find anything that could not be fixed,
    It's just that more often than not it is just not cost effective to fix it. Something's are worth far more apart than it is going to take than get them back together

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

Some of the good ones ever had a petcock that allowed you to add gas and prime your engine. Selling these things now helps fund my Roadster project. I'll be buying repo '32 Ford rails, since originals are expensive, and I plan on cuting them. Bob

Attached Files:

26. Sitting here imagining some Gold-Chainer website where people discuss those schlubs that put used parts on their cars!

Posted using my chicken and 2 cigs

27. silent rick

silent rick

come on guys, them commie bastards need to put food on the table too.

28. i 800-vintage car:D

29. Recently did frt brakes on OT DD S10..Calipers were old & leaky...looked up rebuild kit...then saw new,lifetime warranty calipers $15.00..!! less time and worry to go for new..
    I'm old, ain't got time to waste.!!!

30. mphudak

mphudak
    from Atlanta

if a new factory part is available and the time to repair the part is significant, i buy new. BUT, keep the old to repair in spair time (hey, it broke/wore out one time, it will happen again and makes for an easy swap next time). I really have a hard time buying repop parts on items i can source original/rebuildable ones.