Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Olds Hydromatic Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by el_bole, Jun 8, 2014.

1. el_bole

el_bole

Bottom end of my 55' Olds 324 is ticking so going to pull engine ....ugg....

The seal on the transmission was replaced about two years ago. Do I need to be careful when separating engine from tranny in regards to the seal or anything else for that matter?

Any information would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks

2. After you remove the starter and the lower housing, you will need to remove all the bolts from the Torus cover to separate it from the flywheel. You will need to rotate the engine a little at a time to do this. There are two alignment dowels that may be a tight fit so you may have to pry the torus free from the flywheel. Be sure to have a pan there to catch all the trans fluid. Then you can go ahead and remove the engine.

3. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Remember that the two alignment dowels differ in size. Once warped the torus cove is about useless.

4. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

The torus has a drain plug for draining the fluids. It is located behind the flywheel toward the transmission.

5. el_bole

el_bole

Thanks guys for all the great advice!!! When you say Torus cover do you mean piece of heavy iron that covers front end of transmission?

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Actually, it's a 2 piece convertor

7. txturbo

txturbo

Actually not a converter at all. And you don't have to worry about fluid coming out when you separate the trans from the motor as long as you only remove the 4 nuts that attach the torus cover to the flex plate. Once separated then you can remove the remaining nuts to get the cover off if needed. But if you don't plan on doing anything with the trans then leave it together.

8. This picture shows the torus cover:
    [​IMG]
    The second one would have been the flywheel pictured below.

[​IMG]
    This one actually shows the '56 and up Jetaway, but you get the idea.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  9. el_bole

el_bole

Thanks for the illustration Martin, I like to see what y'all talking about......And thanks txturbo, I like the idea of just removing 4 bolts and not making a mess.....

10. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

I think there is no flexplate on this trans. and you must remove the 32 perimeter bolts
    that attach the torrus cover to the flywheel to separate engine and trans.

11. Seems to me like you are talking about the '56 and up Jetaway Hydro, that's mounted a different way.

On the '55 and earlier Hydro, you have to split the torus to get it apart...

Here is the "star" that's attached to the '56 crank that's then bolted with 4 bolts to the tranny:
    [​IMG]

And this is the tranny with un-split torus:
    [​IMG]

But again, @el_bole problem is the earlier one...

12. txturbo

txturbo

well that sucks then....56 is the earliest one that I've taken apart.

13. el_bole

el_bole

Yup that sucks =(, by the way Martin noticed you got plenty of tidy cat around...that stuff is a life saver in the shop...

14. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

I have always thought that Olds had 1 dowel pin on the flywheel, and Cad had two dowel pins...

15. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

The pic attached is of a 1950 hydramatic. See additional holes at 2 and 8 o'clock. Don't have a flywheel picture and not inclined to remove the dust shield and look without a lift.

16. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Wow, my memory is getting faulty! You are correct... I just went outside and looked through my stack of dual-range flywheels and there are indeed two dowel pins in them.

However, there are differences in dowel pins themselves. Some flywheels had 1 large diameter pin and 1 small diameter pin, One flywheel looked to have 2 pins of the same diameter, and one looked to have 2 extra long pins of the same diameter. That ought to make it fun for folks trying to fit flywheels to torus bowls, LOL

One other note... after looking at the flywheels, I noticed that one has a dowel pin hole in amongst the crank bolt holes. I now seem to recall THAT one as having supposedly been the difference between Cad and Olds, and not so much a difference in dowel pins that go into the torus bowl. I guess I could be wrong about that as well, but that's what a long-time obsolete tranny guy told me. And there indeed is one flywheel with that extra dowel hole on the crank mounting pattern...

I'd be curious to know if anyone knows exactly what the apparent differences in torus bowl dowels were all about...