Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Anyone out there that can ID this old Custom 1936 Ford Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by TinWolf, Apr 16, 2012.

1. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

2. 336ford

336ford
    from Eugene OR

I'm not sure if the "kit car" was a question. The car has been pretty well denuded of the custom stuff and is on it's way to being a cool traditional rod.

3. missysdad1

missysdad1

My guess is that the car was originally customized prior to the uncle's purchase of it, and then "re-customized" by him via the addition of the '59 Caddy lights, the spare tire and the oh-so-stylish hubcaps...and of course the really crappy paint job.

The earlier styling and the later additions are totally at odds in both taste and craftsmanship. They also indicate a leap of time between the early work and the later...ah..."update". The undle was probably an early "gold chainer" taking credit for work somebody else had done...after totally screwing it up.

This roadster has all the signs of a really nice car which fell into the hands of a moron. Thank God it's getting redone properly.

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  4. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

That car is so savable it's not even funny! It could be AWESOME.

Squablow likes this.
  5. fortynut

fortynut

Like human personalities, some custom cars are psychopathic monsters. Instead of being aesthetically beautiful, they reflect warped perceptions not understood by those of us accustomed to the normal, everyday 50s & 60s lead sleds. To coin a phrase, they are the dead cats and dogs of automotive serial killers. Instead of giving off good vibes we feel threatened by the sheer atrociousness of them. Some are so hideous we re-experience the same feelings we had as children moving through the House of Horrors, or the Fun House. Nothing about them is quite right. I am sure we all know what I'm talking about. There is one that makes me feel an itch in my palm for the handle of a hammer when I see it. I'm sure we all know what I mean. This particular car, the once and rather sad '36 Ford, would be worth buying, if only to deconstruct, and take it out of its misery, piece by piece. What a thrill it would be to toss each part into a nice tidy pile. Damn! I hate this car. And, I mean no disrespect to whoever it is that is trying to sell, or TinWolf. It's just that seeing the images of it give the creeps. Now, the hood ornament for sale on ebay that looks like an eyeball monster is in such bad taste it does the opposite and manages to be attractive for all the same reasons but with style. And, perhaps that's the operative word on the '36 that was 'done to death': for all the work and all the parts, it has no style. Carl

6. Squablow

Squablow

I'm with you. This car has real potential and wouldn't be that hard to rework into a really beautiful car. Way better than starting with a rusty hulk and some of the old customizing could stay to preserve a bit of it's history as an old custom. Honestly, the price isn't bad at all.

I guess some guys just don't have "the vision".

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any updates on it change in stature from a "why the hell did they do that" to an "oh wow, what an improvement"?
    When I saw the first photos the OP posted of it, my first thought was that stuff can come off easy and it can be made into a decent and correct custom.

8. Slammedf100

Slammedf100

I'm almost positive this is my gramps old roadster I've been searching for ImageUploadedByTJJ1404182827.963175.jpg .... Can someone PLEASE call me with any info on this car or parts associated with the car 8605179834

9. I would have to say you are right. I hope you can track it down from the last sale posted. Be great if you got a family car back.

10. Slammedf100

Slammedf100

Ya man it would mean a lot to my whole family I showed the pics to my gramps last night and he said it's definitely the car though whoever bought it from him made some goofy changes to it. I would like nothing more than to restore it to it's former glory when he owned it in the 50's

11. coast40

coast40

36 rdstr 6-14.jpg It's getting restored to a quality trad rod. The trunk is free and new pieces are being metal finished. I believe the car was found on Craigslist in Florida, and a trade was made in Feb. or March. It is in Oregon safe in the hands of a true craftsman.

Attached Files:

• 36-3.jpg
      36-3.jpg
      File size:
      305.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  12. Slammedf100

Slammedf100

Do you have any contact info for the guy?

13. coast40

coast40

He is aware of this blog. I can't divulge. Sorry.

14. Slammedf100

Slammedf100

Hey man if you can tell him id love to talk to him it would mean a lot

15. 336ford

336ford
    from Eugene OR

I'll give him your contact info. From what I understand, the provenance wouldn't line up. Stories get crossed, and there has been some mystery, but I believe this was built in the early sixties, and I believe the builder owned it until he passed. But, as we learn, provenance sometimes become tangled in legend and hear-say.

16. Slammedf100

Slammedf100

It was sold in about 1960 it was a hot rod prior to sale the early photo I posted of it has a 1958 date on it...I even have the mans name who bought the car from my grandfather he's from Bristol CT and moved to Florida and passed away

17. 336ford

336ford
    from Eugene OR

I spoke with him this morning. He's excited to touch base and get some history of the car before 1960. As to the parts about the tenor of the customizing....quite a bit of drama and hyperbole. Didn't take the new owner but a few weeks to dis-ugly this car. It's a '36 Ford Roadster. It's not like trying to make something beautiful out of something that was always a dog. Frankly, it was easier to transform this back than it would be to try to denude the puke from a Boyd Coddington monstrosity. The moral of the story is that a backyard hacker with a torch and a lot of lead can do less damage to a car than a trendster with a tv show.

coast40 likes this.
  18. Slammedf100

Slammedf100

I'm looking forward to hearing from him!

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Those taillights look like a Japanese sex toy...

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Man...the changes that thing almost went through just in this thread alone!
    Now it's being returned to original '36 sheet metal? I'm feeling like I'm feeling my age.
    This thing's going thru more changes than a psychedelic dry out.

21. Slammedf100

Slammedf100

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1404252053.009249.jpg
    Went and saw my gramps and talked extensively about the car today!

22. alchemy

alchemy

There is a car local to me that was a semi custom '36 roadster in it's heyday. It had a Packard grille, Desoto bumpers, much chrome on the built flatty, and a chopped top. Now owned by the son of the original owner, it was recently rebuilt with all stock sheet metal. At least it still has a built flathead.

23. That cowl is a '35....doesn't matter much unless it helps identify the car.

24. 336ford

336ford
    from Eugene OR

For the sake of clarity, you say that it was a hotrod before it was sold in 1960, but you posted a pic from 1958 as a custom. That is essentially the same custom that arrived here at the west coast. It seems that your grandfather did the custom work on this car, then sold it two years later. Another question is whether there was a body change, as the cowl appears to be a '35 cowl, rear fenders were '35, but fronts were '36, and the frame is a '36, with a '36 title. Curious how that may have come about.

25. Slammedf100

Slammedf100

Actually there were a lot of changes made to the car after he sold it when I speak to the current owner I'll be more than happy to fill him in on what was changed and how the car was

26. redo32

redo32

Hey Slammed, A few guys are following this thread, how about sharing with all of us the history of your grandfather and this car.

Peanut 1959 likes this.