Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Radio Antenna-what works?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jaw22w, Jun 30, 2014.

1. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I am finishing up my 26 T coupe. I want to put a radio in it, but don't want an antenna on it. I have looked at the hidden antenna. They only run about $30, but at least 9 out of 10 reviews are negative. What are you guys using for antennas?

2. Davyj

Davyj

I just have one of those short black rubber antenae's and on the glass deuce it is under the seat. on the 38 sedan it is tucked up inside the window post. both work pretty good. although around here there are a ton of stations to get locally. I bought them at Walmart for around $10.................certainly worth a try.

3. A lot of the A and early V8 guys use the chicken wire in the roof. Isolate it from the body and hook up a wire.

Charlie Stephens

4. I installed a regular fender mount antenna along the frame rail of our wagon,,I just ran it out as far as it would go and fabricated a bracket where the mount on the fender and a piece to hold the tip,,,works pretty good. HRP

5. bob3757

bob3757
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tigard, Or

I have 3 cars with a standard cowl mount antenna mounted outside the frame rail, using homemade brackets & rubber grommets to insulate the antenna. The radios in all 3 cars work fine. Bob

6. mj40's

mj40's

I have installed a antenna to the bottom side of the running boards on my coupe and two different 40 pickups. Out of site and worked well. And as bob3757 said, rubber grommets to insulate the antenna.
    [​IMG]

i.rant likes this.
  7. stimpy

stimpy

used a 18" long piece of 16 gauge wire along the "A" pillar of cars with good results , just make sure the insulation is kept on it to keep it from touching the body which is the ground plane

8. antenna.jpg This is just about 10 metres of insulated wire, soldered to the centre of a length of co-axial cable. The outer shield is connected to ground. It is strung between my front bumper brackets. It's cheap (like me), and works well.

9. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Thanks guys. Lots of good ideas. It is simpler than I was making it in my mind.