Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Y-Block 4 barrel carb?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roadagent2, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Roadagent2

Roadagent2

What carb would you recommend for a 272 y-block 2 barrel conversion to a 4 barrel? I have the 4 barrel intake manifold and I would also like to get rid of the 2 barrel right side (passenger side) monstrosity of a carb linkage. I need the help of your past experience….thanks in advance.

2. PackardV8

PackardV8

For a 272", smaller is better, but how good are your fine motor skills? If you can DIY rebuilds, the older Carter WCFB and Rochester 4Jet can work well. There are also the later Holley 390 CFM and Carter AFB 450 CFM which can fit with an adapter.

The carbs I wouldn't recommend were the original Holleys Ford put on there in '55-56.

jack vines

3. sunbeam

sunbeam

Almost any carb change will require you to get rid of the loadOmatic distributor as they work as a unit. By all means use a 57 up distributor.

4. Roadagent2

Roadagent2

Thanks for your insight! Look forward to hearing more ideas!

5. 55Brodie

55Brodie

Cool Fairlane. I assume you still have the Fordomatic, so I would suggest you find a donor 55 or 56 4bbl automatic and get the throttle arm from the firewall along with the kickdown/bellcrank that mounts on the driver's side rear of the intake manifold. Grab all the linkage bits while you're at it. A small Holley 390 to 450cfm 4bbl is all you need. If you have the A suffix 4bbl manifold you will need an adapter to mount the Holley (WCFB or 4G will fit the A manifold). If you have the B suffix manifold, I suggest a 1/2" spacer so the carb throttle plates clear the intake holes. By all means get the shop manual for the car and for the Fordomatic so you can figure out how the ridiculous kickdown contraption functions and how to adjust it. There is no easy way around it that I have found.