Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical My daily driver problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LEADDIN, Jun 30, 2014.

1. I drive a 65 Chevy Bel Air with a 72 Chevy C-10 350 with HEI and a MSD coil everyday to and from work. The problem I have is this. One of my power steering hoses hit the exhaust manifold and it blew fluid everywhere under the hood. I went through and dried everything and now it won't start. I have 13.5 at the solenoid, coil, ignition switch and alternator. The car will not start it sounds like the solenoid just clicks. I tested the starter and it is good. I am lost as to what the issue is. I am probably over thinking the issue. Any help would be great.

2. And 13.5 from battery to starter

3. I replaced the ignition switch also

4. 26Troadster

26Troadster

i had a car do that a few years ago. that is a mess to clean up to say the least. i didn't lose a starter i lost the alt. it was full of atf. i used starting fluid and sprayed the crap out of it then used a air hose to blow it out. it worked for me, just make sure there is no fumes left.

5. I sprayed all the wires, connectors. The starter and the alternator didn't get wet the things that got wet was wires and the coil and I sprayed them with electric cleaner spray.

6. Are you getting any spark? HRP

7. I will check that. I didn't even think of that. Apparently late hours and Pabst Blue Ribbon made me forget that step.

8. It's kinda important! :D HRP

9. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

If it clicks but just won't crank it's gotta be either a bad starter, cables, ground or battery. The fluid may have contaminated an already poor connection somewhere.

10. Replaced the battery cable all connectors and still just a click. I will play with it some more today after the heat goes down.

11. stimpy

stimpy

sounds like a bad solenoid disconnect the wire from the switch and check the voltage there ( with someone turning the key in the car sometimes low voltage will not allow the solenoid to totally engage just kick out the bendix but not hit the plunger in it to turn the starter motor on , being its on the otherside of the motor no ps fluid should bother it also check the bulkhead connector to make sure its dry inside too as its right around the master cylinder .

12. Thanks for the help so far. I will let you know what I come up with as I chase this down.

13. Still has to be a bad connection. Something has got to be saturated with PS fluid. Pop the distributor cap off to see if that was soaked inside. May be a good idea to take the cap and wires off for a good washing off.