Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stromberg Woes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by S2X01, Jun 29, 2014.

1. S2X01

S2X01

I can't get this 241 to run right....

Starts up pretty easy and will idle alright. Seems like turning my idle screws doesn't do a whole lot unless they're seated.
    Runs and idles, and when I give it some throttle, it revs up for a little bit, then starts to stumble. Putting it in gear absolutely kills it.
    Started it back up after it stalled, and it would slowly die out. As soon as it stalled, I pulled the top of the carb. Bowl was empty.

So I disconnected the ignition, and turned it over to fill the bowl with the pump. Pumps fine, and the float closes the needle fine. Took some float measurements. top of the casting to the top of the float is right around 8 or 9 32nds. Top of the casting to the fuel level is around 24-25 32nds.

What Am I doing wrong? New plugs, new points/condenser. Carb is fully rebuilt. Couldn't find any vac leaks with the brake-kleen... Plugs were a little black when I checked them. Seem like it's running too rich??

I'm stumped. Also..I definitely don't know carbs that well. So that doesn't help.

2. S2X01

S2X01

If anyone in the Denver area could come school me, I'd gladly buy beer and pizza. And probably throw some cash your way too.....

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Fuel level seems low, for one thing...book level is 15-16 32's measured as far from edge as you can manage. Check it again with engine idling (fire extinguisher handy, fire department on speed dial) because you also have that bowl empty oddity happening...
    With engine idling (you may also need to disconnect fan belt so the thing isn't being blasted with air) you can also observe inlet opening and closing as fuel is used and see if it maintains a fairly consistent level. You don't say what Stromberg...I'm assuming 97-48 type here, but suddenly realize you may have a Mopar oem something Stomberg...in which case change all the numbers!

4. S2X01

S2X01

It's the stock carb.
    Stromberg Bendix WW. 3-105.

I adjusted the float back up to about 3/16". Then my battery died. So...I'll try again tomorrow.

5. S2X01

S2X01

Little more adjusting and tweaking. Still seems to be running too rich, and falling on it's face/stalling out when I put it in gear.