Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical F-1 Brakes and Steering

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by LSGUN, Jun 27, 2014.

1. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

I know quite a few people have ran into clearance issues when using a traditional hoop steering arm and F-1/F-100 brakes. Most people will ditch this arm in favor of a Super Bell slingshot or a similar blind hole fastened arm. I've never been a fan of blind hole arms and I prefer the looks of the hoop arms. I found a solution that worked for me and another member wanted me to post a thread for future reference.

Allen nuts 1/2"-20: http://www.mcmaster.com/#allen-nuts/=slj6w5
    Budget F-1 brake drums: 8951- Autozone

The issue is the tight clearance between the thread and backside of the wheel cylinder. It's way too tight to fit a conventional hex nut.

\';\'.jpg

;kk;.jpg

@97 suggested to use 1/2"-20 Allen nuts which are readily available from McMaster-Carr. You can then tighten these with a socket drive and some loctite and it's good to go. One other thing is you will need to modify a couple of heavy washers to run behind the nuts. It's an extremely simple for fix for something that will make you scratch your head during mock up.

steering arm f-1.jpg

dfsdfd.jpg

rtrtrtr.jpg

ttththtt.jpg

LTM75110 and Texas Webb like this.
  2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I hadn't seen those Allen nuts! Great tip, lots of projects sit for months immersed in indecision.
    (say it fast)
    Also appreciate the Autozone availability of F1 drums. NAPA also has them, but $$$$.

3. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Yeah @RICH B discovered those awhile back and I picked them up for $35 each!

4. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Those are really cool. They would work good also with a hoop and 39+ juice brakes too. You always have to cut or bend the crap out of the grease box in order to get a nut on the ends of the hoop. Thanks for the idea and the pics.

5. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Subscribed. Thanks for the info

6. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

That part # lists rear drums, will they also work as front drums?

7. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Yeah, one of them is actually mounted under that '49 Merc wheel above to show the fitment. I forget what they're for but I believe 80s Bronco rear or something. It just so happens they're a nice substitute for the reproduction front F-1 drums that are very pricey.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  8. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Great information! Thanks for sharing this.

Oh.. Did you have to cut the grease box for these to fit in? I don't know if you plan on running the grease boxes or just forgot to put them on for the pictures. It looks like the allen nuts would go right on without modifying them.

LSGUN likes this.
  9. Neat! Thanks for posting

10. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Anyone have a part number for the drum?

11. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nice! Clean solution.

12. I saw one at the Fletcher swap meet this past Saturday,the guy didn't know anything about it but wanted 20 bucks for it,I have never seen one before. HRP

13. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

I haven't tried to fit the drivers side grease shield yet, I still need to clean them up. I don't think it would be too much trouble to make them fit, I know the washers would probably be the issue if anything.

14. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

The part number for the correct drums is 8951 from Autozone. It will be listed as a rear drum, but this is the correct drum that fits the F-1 hubs as pictured above.

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

F1, front and rear drums are the same. F100 are also; but different than F1.

16. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

From what I understand, the front and rear F-1 brake drums are different, but I'm not an expert. The reproduction '48-'52 F-1 front drums are $$$$$$. These here are for an 80's F-150 but fit great. '53-'56 F-100 front drums are cheap and readily available from most parts stores as they interchange with later F-series trucks.

17. Mad-Lad

Mad-Lad
    from California

I use the same hex head bolts. Great in tight places like that.
    Periodically check the torque on them.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1404672567.564004.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. Front and rear drums are different.
    F-1 and F-100 rear drums are the same and were used up into the '60s.
    F-100 front drums were also used up into the '60s.
    F-1 front drums were only used from '48-'52.

The rear drums along with the F-100 fronts are available in the replacement parts aftermarket probably due to the wide range of years used.

F-1 front drums are only available as repops and priced higher as a result.

The Bronco rears are a readily available, reasonably priced alternative if you are not concerned with a 100% authentic appearance.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  19. Also you should check the bolt length, I have found a lot of variation in thread depth in that kind of un-branded blind hole arms. I prefer the thru bolt style, just seems a little more secure
    to me.
    CE arm.jpg

LSGUN likes this.