Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Power of a Freight Train

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Jun 27, 2014.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

The Power of a Freight Train

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  2. I know a little about the danger of a freight train, especially the one pictured. That's me about March 8, 1970. Nice blog Joey. John Peters and the whole crew go out of our way to put kids in the 'Train whenever we're at a show or Cacklefest. All my boys have sat in it, and a lot of friends. All it takes is to give a kid a little incentive and that starts them on a lifetime path. My neighbor took me to my first drag race when I was ten, and that did it for me. This is worth a peek... www.thefreighttrain.com

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
    HEMI32, Special Ed and FlynBrian like this.
  3. chubbie

chubbie

Wow carsick, were you the pilot of this icon of my past? Altho humble (maybe not of the new generation) was part of our generation it would be great hear more from guys like you on the HAMB!
    It's great that you share this with Kids, I ALWAYS put kids in my model A and have mom take pictures of them!!!

FlynBrian likes this.
  4. hammeredcoupe

hammeredcoupe
    from Tacoma,WA

Great thread Joey, and thanks to carsick for providing the link to the Freight Train's home page!

5. I've known Sam Davis (Carsick) for some time now. At the LARS he introduced me to Bob Muravez, another former freight train "engineer". Listening to these two telling stories is a real treat. Nothing beats hearing history from those who made it.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn, sorry to have missed out on that!

7. 10429499_10204017473747904_7871176663185957202_n.jpg
    I too call Sam my friend and on my recent pilgrimage in my 40 from Maryland to California for the LARS show, I had dinner with several of my HAMB buddies. Mazooma, Special Ed, 50 Fraud, DRD57, Chili Phil and Sam. Sam brought along Bob Muravez so I just HAD to take the opportunity to get a shot of these guys with me in front of my car. That’s Sam on the left, me in the middle and Bob on the right. Good times that afternoon, good dinner, good stories, and good friends.

8. Special Ed

Special Ed

Great photo there Andy. That "Smoke Shop" sign in the background seems extremely appropriate since Bob and Sam set so many records back in the day piloting the Train at so many of the "Smokers" meets at Famoso Raceway, and also because of the hot flame licks on your '40.

9. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

My Freight Train story: We were pushing the race car back from a pass at "The Beach" (Lions Drag Strip), and heard on the PA that they were going to run. We stopped on the return road abeam the finish line, and stretched to look over the fence as the car came by about 20 feet away at 200 mph. Bitch'n. It seems unlikely I will forget this, even if I live to be a hundred.

Model T1 likes this.
  10. One of my all time favorite dragsters.

11. 50Fraud

50Fraud

That was a great evening, and great company. Too many refreshments, though; I spent the whole next day recovering.

lothiandon1940 and Chili Phil like this.
  12. flamingokid

flamingokid

As a young boy,I loved going to the local dragstrips to see the dragsters run at Lake Geneva and at the track west of Milwaukee.Lots of good memories.

13. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Here's our own "Carsick", aka, Sam Davis with a certain lady named Linda Vaughn after Sam won the "March Meet" in 1970. Car owner, John Peters is on the right feeling sort of alone....:))

Would be a good photo for a caption contest....any takers?

9-7-4.jpg

14. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

and here he is again in the checkered shirt as a kid getting hooked for life on drag racing...
    Vintage-Dragster-800x450.jpg

15. I'm not exactly a kid anymore (I'm 32 years old) but, I'd love to get a chance at sitting in the Train. Here's one of my favorite pictures of the Train. :)
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1403924543.071004.jpg

lothiandon1940 and Krash like this.
  16. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

When I think "AA/ GD " ONE dragster immediately comes to mind!

17. McGurk

McGurk
    from Mid West

I have a bit of twin engine heritage myself albeit it a stretch. I hauled my dragster many a mile in the box that hauled R.C. Williams original twin engine blown gas dragster. The old trailer must have been plum worn out because it never took me to any championships.

18. frank spittle

frank spittle

Freight Train2.jpg In 1983 I purchased Elmer Trett's twin engine Harley and wanted to give it a new identity. I was a big fan of John Peters' dragster and since it had been retired due to NHRA dropping T/G after the '71 season I thought it would be a nice gesture to carry on the name that for so long had epitomized 'twin engine'.
    I raced it for two years before it too became obsolete. I still own it and occasionally have fun with it at nostalgia events.

19. catdad49

catdad49

Thanks again to Joey for reintroducing this Blast from the Past, The Freight Train! There can be only one. Thanks also to the guys that were there and their stories. Stones galore, Carp

20. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

No pictures of you sitting in it? Terrible journalism, Joey. You should stick to your day job.

21. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

Our friend Bob Brissette also drove the train at some point, I'm not sure when. He also got in the two club in '57 with Quincy automotive as a sponsor on their belly tank, I believe Quincy also sponsored the Freight Train
    Here is his belly tank. 01_1 copy.jpg .
    You can find Bob in our pits at the World Of Speed.
    Here he is in 2012.
    P9080319 copy 2.JPG

Nick32vic likes this.
  22. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Carsick, we'd love to hear some stories!

It was a real treat to see these billboards around town a few years back - unfortunately Schlitz didn't push this campaign past Milwaukee. There was also a Bunny Burkett billboard; saw a few posters around town of both but no one wanted to part with them.

Schlitz Freight Train billboard.jpg Schlitz Bunny Burkettbillboard.jpg

J.Ukrop, volvobrynk and Nick32vic like this.
  23. Thanks for the web link. Wow what a history. It must have been a time when men were real men and I am sure you made some lifelong friends back than.

24. My most favorite dragster of all time. Love the 'train

25. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Though not a 'youngster', I was fortunate to sit in the cab of the pre-restored Eddie MIlle Lakester. When Don II dropped the lid on that cramped cocpit, I saw visions of the long flat surface of Bonneville. And now that we have the Salt Circus roadster, every time we have it out and anyone between the ages of 5 and 45 we ask them "want to sit in it?". From thoes few minutes, dreams are made and finished, and I hope we start a new generation in the sport and also give a few a litte bit of thier 'bucket list".

jadegrenade 51 likes this.
  26. Killer picture!

27. That's "Prince", Bob Muravez's 170# great dane. That pic was used in a Scheifer clutches ad. The caption was "All us top dogs use Scheifer clutches"

28. .....................................................Great photo, Andy! Three legends in one shot, Sam, Bob and your '40!:D (really four counting yourself).

OL 55 likes this.
  29. Sam, was there an actual train horn in the Train? I read a story saying the Freight Train would blow by the Hemis on the top end and blow the train horn. Any truth to that?