Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Re: My first attempt at a Gasser- Part 2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stickerdick, May 29, 2014.

1. stickerdick

stickerdick

Well, before the re-boot, I had parts for my 1962 Falcon off to the powder coater and we were beginging to make the final preperations to install the motor and mockup my fenderwell exhausts. I posted on my previous blog some pictures and made a few comments, but It seems like the Thread got lost. So I decided to start a new thread as a continoation of the old. I may find out that you guys got bored with me and my project, or it maybe that I did get lost in the change over, who knows. The link to the old thread is this: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/my-first-attempt-at-a-gasser.873349/

Attached Files:

2. stickerdick

stickerdick

Here is a couple of shots of the front axle getting installed for the last time and the rear axle slapper bars.

Attached Files:

3. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

Looks good so far, I look forward to seeing it in person some day.

4. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

I look forward to seeing yer coupe together someday!!! :rolleyes:

5. stickerdick

stickerdick

It's coming along, but my budget has gotten tight and doggone work is getting in the way, but I hope by Monday to have the photos of the car back on the ground and the motor going in.

6. stickerdick

stickerdick

We got the car onto 4 wheels again, this time the axle is ready to go, brakes are installed, we will be putting the motor back in to get the exhaust into final setup and then take the motor out, clean and paint the engine and the engine compartment, then it goes back together for final assembly and wiring! Yes!

Attached Files:

rebarsfords likes this.
  7. stickerdick

stickerdick

My buddy Randy Irwin beat me to the punch and has his Nova Gasser ready to go, I am going to be pissed if I don't have mine at least running by the end of the month! randys nova gasser.jpg

8. stickerdick

stickerdick

That would be cool, but knowing Randy, he'll kick my butt, but so what? It would still be fun!

9. stickerdick

stickerdick

We got the motor and trans back in and the final layout of the exhaust will be done this weekend, the drive shaft and the tunnel ram is going on next. frontend on lift.jpg rear wheel.jpg rear with new stuff.jpg side of motor in.jpg

lawman likes this.
  10. NOPSI

NOPSI

I'm loving this build!

11. captmullette

captmullette

lookin goooood....

12. stickerdick

stickerdick

The drive shaft got back in today, the exhaust should be finished by the end of the week. I missed by deadline for running by the end of this month, but if all goes well, we should be driving the car by the end of July!

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Just wondering why the front shocks have such an extreme angle? They wont do much dampening at that angle.

14. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I didnt want to be the one to say :(

15. stickerdick

stickerdick

We followed the directions from speedways guide on the mounting of the axle, guess we will just have to see?

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Does their guide address shock angle? Mine didn't when I bought my axle kit. But every degree you angle the shock makes it less efficient. Once you've gotten to 45 degrees, they're almost not working at all. Yours look to be about 30 degrees, and probably wont dampen much at that angle.

17. stickerdick

stickerdick

Got some header stuff going inside part of headers.jpg
    outside partof headers.jpg
    finally

18. stickerdick

stickerdick

I'm guess I'll have to wait till I drive it, I can always cut the mounts off and remount the top of the shock back towards the axle, but at this time we felt like this was the proper way to go, you might be right, but I am willing to learn from my mistakes, just as long as they don't kill me.

19. stickerdick

stickerdick

I was trying to follow this builds example of shock mount design, we could have gone too far, my photo angles could be making it look worse as well, but we will have to see, but i think this is one of you guys build, right? example shock.jpg

lawman likes this.
  20. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hydrulic dampers are designed to work straight up ideally, for every degree you lay them over you will lose a percentage of efficiency, As Vall said you can easily remount correctly and they will work much better.

Edit, I just read the instructions and it shows the dampers straight up so not sure where you went wrong, I noticed one error though it says the dampers should be 50% compressed when installed but its usually 1/3rd compressed.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  21. stickerdick

stickerdick

Well, if you look at the picture I posted of the build I was copying, the thing I noticed is that we mounted the top bracket facing the front of the car instead of the rear as is in the picture. I think that is where we went wrong, I'll correct it after we get past the headers and get the car running and driving, I think it will be a quick and easy fix.

22. stickerdick

stickerdick

I hope my headers turn out this nice! 10292170_737801219610140_737800576276871_44963_2739_b.jpg

23. stickerdick

stickerdick

Well, I finally solved the issue that some of you guys had with my "Angry Bird" project because I did not have the "correct" front end according to the drawing I am using to depict my project.... problem solved. Parts CAR! 61 parts car.jpg 61 parts car2.jpg 61 parts car3.jpg 61 falcon cartoon.jpg

24. stickerdick

stickerdick

Already stripped off the parts I want and the rest is SOLD!! Take that Gas Monkey!! IMG_0699.jpg IMG_0700.jpg

25. stickerdick

stickerdick

We ended up having to remove the core support as well to make the front clip fit correctly to my 62, never would have guessed there was as much as 2" difference in the way the fenders mount on the 62 compared to the 61.

Attached Files:

26. 69fury

69fury

Yeah, there's a big dif between 60,61 and the 62 front ends- the gravel shield on a 62 is just a plate compared to the rolled valance behind the bumper of a 60-61. My 61's valance is all bent up and i can't find a straight one. Might have to fab one. Also- another thing to consider about shock angle- is that since your shackle is in the back- the axle will actually move "slightly" rear ward under compression- good for ride quality, bad for shocks leaning forward. But that means if vertical shocks wont work for you, you might find you have room to tip them rearward at the top a bit.- rick.

27. stickerdick

stickerdick

I'll post some more pics on Monday showing the 61 core support and fenders mated to my 62, alot of work, but now it is closer to my vision of what my "GASMOD" Gasser is supposed to look like.

28. stickerdick

stickerdick

got the support into the 62, sanding the fenders and hood now, will bolt them on later this week. 61 core support.jpg

29. stickerdick

stickerdick

This week we should have the 61 front clip all fitted, the hood is coming along very nicely, we will be putting the tunnel ram on and cutting the hood, redoing the front shocks and finishing up the headers so
    I can get them ceramic coated, then it is just a matter of buttoning up the small stuff, nothing two more months of work won't fix! I'll post new pics soon.